|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the state trooper in Chapter 17?
2. What are Annabelle's brothers doing at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. In Chapter 13, where did Constable Oleska say that Andy said that he and Betty planned to meet?
4. What did Betty's poncho catch on when she fell?
5. What time does Annabelle get up in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Toby tell about himself in Chapter 20 when Annabelle's mother asks about him?
2. What are Betty's injuries when she is freed from the well?
3. What did Trooper Coleman say that he learned from Andy in Chapter 18?
4. What do the men see when they find Betty in the well?
5. What does Annabelle's mother make everyone do after it is revealed that Jordan is really Toby?
6. How does Annabelle describe the state trooper?
7. Why do James and Henry think that Toby has been hiding in their barn?
8. Where does Annabelle go in Chapter 13?
9. Who are the men who come with Annabelle's father in Chapter 18?
10. What does Annabelle gather to take to Toby in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betty causes many of the conflicts in the novel. How does Betty cause conflict in the novel? With whom are most of these conflicts? How do these conflicts advance the plot and develop the characters, especially Annabelle?
Essay Topic 2
Annabelle’s mood fluctuates throughout the novel. How does Annabelle’s mood fluctuate throughout the novel? How does her mood affect her behavior or the decisions that she makes?
Essay Topic 3
Many people believe that Toby is responsible for Betty’s disappearance. Why are most people so sure that Toby is responsible for her disappearance?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)