|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Toby live?
2. How old was Annabelle when Toby borrowed something from her family?
3. In Chapter 6, how many days does Betty seem to ignore Annabelle?
4. What is Mr. Ansel's racial heritage?
5. What do Annabelle and her father pick on the way home at the end of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some photographs that Tony has taken with the camera he borrowed from Annabelle's family?
2. How does Annabelle describe her aunt Lily?
3. Why will Ruth not go back to school with Annabelle?
4. What happens when Betty finds Andy Woodberry in her seat at school in Chapter 5?
5. How does Annabelle's mother help Betty after Betty gets into poison ivy?
6. Why do Annabelle's family prune spruces in Chapter 9, and how do her brothers help?
7. Why does Mrs. Taylor not think that Betty was in the school belfry looking out the window when Ruth was hit with a rock?
8. Who is Toby?
9. What is Betty doing when Annabelle sees her on the path in Chapter 6?
10. In Chapter 11, what do the children do during recess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annabelle’s parents shelter Toby. How have Annabelle’s parents felt about Toby and the type of person they believed him to be? Why do they then shelter him when there a manhunt for him?
Essay Topic 2
Annabelle spends some time meditating at Turtle Rock. Why does she go there? What does she reflect upon there? How do the conclusions she reaches at the rock affect her life?
Essay Topic 3
Both Toby and Betty are outsiders. In what way are both of them outsiders? Why is one of them viewed more favorably than the other? How does their outsider status affect their roles in the novel? Why is Toby considered to be more of an outsider than Betty?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)