|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Betty?
2. Where was Betty when Ruth was hurt?
3. Where is Ruth going to move in Chapter 9?
4. Where has Betty's grandfather gone in Chapter 6?
5. What does Annabelle's mother give Ruth in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Taylor not think that Betty was in the school belfry looking out the window when Ruth was hit with a rock?
2. In Chapter 11, what do the children do during recess?
3. Why might Annabelle's family be considered rich?
4. How did Annabelle's family get a camera?
5. How does Annabelle describe her aunt Lily?
6. What happens to Ruth during recess in Chapter 7?
7. Who is Toby?
8. How has Toby helped Annabelle's family?
9. Why do Annabelle's family prune spruces in Chapter 9, and how do her brothers help?
10. What does Annabelle do when her aunt Lily tells her not to lie about Betty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bigotry causes people to that Mr. Faas was the target of the rock that hurt Ruth. Why is it automatically assumed that Mr. Faas might be the target? Why is Mr. Faas the target of bigotry? How does bigotry lead to the conclusion that Toby was the perpetrator? How else does bigotry confuse the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Annabelle’s parents shelter Toby. How have Annabelle’s parents felt about Toby and the type of person they believed him to be? Why do they then shelter him when there a manhunt for him?
Essay Topic 3
Annabelle wishes that life could be like beets. How does Annabelle describe beets? What do beets symbolize for Annabelle, and why does she wish life would be more like beets?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)