|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Toby's hair?
2. What color window is at Annabelle's house?
3. In the Prologue, how old is Annabelle when she learns to lie?
4. What does Annabelle draw during the sermon in Chapter 10?
5. What war is Annabelle studying in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Annabelle's china piggy bank?
2. In Chapter 11, what do the children do during recess?
3. Why might Annabelle's family be considered rich?
4. Who is Toby?
5. What does Annabelle do when her aunt Lily tells her not to lie about Betty?
6. Why do Annabelle's family prune spruces in Chapter 9, and how do her brothers help?
7. Why does Annabelle not tell her mother about Betty's threats in Chapter 4?
8. How did Annabelle's family get a camera?
9. What happens to James as he walks home in Chapter 8?
10. In Chapter 1, what things does Annabelle have in her room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betty and Toby are character foils. In what ways are the two character foils? How does this contrast help develop the characters and advance the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Betty is bullying Annabelle in the novel. Why does Annabelle not tell her parents about the bullying? What consequences are there because Annabelle does not reveal the bullying at first? How does the bullying affect Annabelle and her character?
Essay Topic 3
Both Toby and Betty are outsiders. In what way are both of them outsiders? Why is one of them viewed more favorably than the other? How does their outsider status affect their roles in the novel? Why is Toby considered to be more of an outsider than Betty?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)