|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annabelle's family sends in film to be developed, how many new rolls come with the photographs?
2. What is wrong with Betty's grandmother in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Annabelle say surprises her sometimes on the hilltop as she walks to school?
4. What day of the week is it in Chapter 11?
5. What family member did Mr. Glengarry lose in the first war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to James as he walks home in Chapter 8?
2. Who is Toby?
3. Why might Annabelle's family be considered rich?
4. How does Annabelle's mother help Betty after Betty gets into poison ivy?
5. What does Annabelle do when her aunt Lily tells her not to lie about Betty?
6. What happens to Ruth during recess in Chapter 7?
7. Why does Mrs. Taylor not think that Betty was in the school belfry looking out the window when Ruth was hit with a rock?
8. In Chapter 11, what do the children do during recess?
9. In Chapter 1, what things does Annabelle have in her room?
10. How does Annabelle describe her aunt Lily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Annabelle has to confront some adult situations. What are some of these situations? Why are they so difficult for her to deal with? How do these situations help her grow?
Essay Topic 2
Both Toby and Betty are outsiders. In what way are both of them outsiders? Why is one of them viewed more favorably than the other? How does their outsider status affect their roles in the novel? Why is Toby considered to be more of an outsider than Betty?
Essay Topic 3
Bigotry causes people to that Mr. Faas was the target of the rock that hurt Ruth. Why is it automatically assumed that Mr. Faas might be the target? Why is Mr. Faas the target of bigotry? How does bigotry lead to the conclusion that Toby was the perpetrator? How else does bigotry confuse the situation?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)