|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is married and doing well according to Sally in The Third Week of May 1820?
(c) Harriet's older sister.
(d) Sally's sister.
2. In April 1820, That Same Day, what does Mammy Ursula ask Harriet to have Beverly do?
(a) Come and see her.
(b) Get married to a slave and remain on the plantation.
(c) Confront Jefferson.
(d) Run away.
3. What are Sally and Harriet doing in The Third Week of May 1820 when Sally tells Harriet that Jefferson wants to see her?
(a) Overseeing the bleaching of the sheets.
(b) Mending clothing.
(c) Shelling peas.
(d) Peeling vegetables.
4. Where does Jefferson wait to meet Harriet in The Third Week of May 1820?
(a) Under the seven day clock.
(b) Mammy Ursula's cabin.
(c) In the parlor.
(d) In the kitchen.
5. What does Harriet compare the secret room to?
(a) A birds nest.
(b) A small apartment.
(c) A stable.
(d) A chapel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mammy Ursula doing when Harriet comes to visit her in April 1820, That Same Day?
2. In April 1820, what is Jefferson's reaction when Harriet swears she didn't look at his stuff?
3. In The Third Week of May 1820, what is it that Sally wants her children to take every one of that they can?
4. How many of Sally's daughters died in infancy before Harriet was born?
5. What office does Randolph hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in December 1819 that shows Harriet is more important than the other slaves?
2. What is the most shocking part of Randolph's plan to protect Harriet?
3. What fate does Martha wish for Bankhead?
4. Why does Bankhead become angry at Randolph after he attacks Harriet?
5. What causes Martha to go a bit easier on Harriet for passing as white?
6. What does Randolph tell Harriet she must do within one year of being granted her freedom?
7. What features does Harriet have that make her different from the other slaves on the plantation?
8. At the beginning of the book, how is it shown that Jefferson is a private man?
9. In the section titled The Third Week of May 1820, what bothers Harriet about passing as white?
10. Why is it unusual that Harriet, a slave, is allowed to use Jefferson's library?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)