|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Middle of May 1820, what does Harriet tell Thruston she'll have whether she leaves the plantation or not?
(a) Her freedom.
(b) Acknowledgment of being Jefferson's daughter.
(d) True love.
2. In April 1820, how does Harriet act when Randolph asks her to sit and talk to him?
(a) She refuses.
(b) She is frightened.
(c) She is grateful for the chance to get off her feet.
(d) She doesn't know what to say.
3. In April 1820, after speaking with Mammy Ursula, how long is it before Harriet gets a chance to look for Sally's secret room?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
4. Over the days that follow Bankhead's attack on Harriet, who does Harriet stay close to?
(b) Her mother.
5. What does Thruston insist upon doing that annoys Harriet?
(b) Calling Jefferson "Master".
(c) Talking like a field slave.
(d) Biting his nails.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bankhead threaten to kill?
2. What does Mammy Ursula do at Monticello?
3. In the story, Harriet recalls that Sally told her once about ___________, who rode up the mountain while Jefferson stayed and ate his breakfast.
4. What does Martha tell Harriet she acts like even if she isn't one?
5. Who goes to collect Sally's boys at the beginning of the book when they are playing more than they are working?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jefferson discovers Harriet in Sally's room, what answer does she give when he asks whom she thinks the clothes are for?
2. Why do most people say that Thomas Mann Randolph is crazy?
3. What example does Harriet give to show that people are not always what they seem to be in the section called April 1820?
4. Why is Harriet upset when she finds clothes in Sally's room that Sally is making for her?
5. Why does Mammy Ursula think Harriet should take her freedom even if she doesn't want it?
6. How does Randolph plan to protect Harriet from the overseer forcing her to become engaged to a slave?
7. What is Mammy Ursula's answer to Harriet when she asks why Sally didn't taker her freedom when she was in France?
8. Why does Bankhead become angry at Randolph after he attacks Harriet?
9. What does Randolph tell Harriet she must do within one year of being granted her freedom?
10. Why is it unusual that Harriet, a slave, is allowed to use Jefferson's library?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)