|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who places a shawl around Jefferson's shoulders when Harriet brings him a tea tray?
2. Where was Sally when she was offered freedom?
3. After the attack, what does Jefferson do to Bankhead?
(b) Has him arrested.
(c) Banishes him from Monticello for the summer.
(d) Hits him.
4. What did Harriet want to ask God when she was a small child?
(a) If there were there any black angels.
(b) Why her siblings had died.
(c) Why he made animals in so many shapes, sizes, and colors.
(d) Why she wasn't free.
5. What one thing does Harriet want to know about Jefferson?
(a) If he will free his slaves.
(b) If he will sell his slaves.
(c) If Jefferson is really keeping a Farm Book.
(d) If he is her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the only people that speak about Tom now?
2. What does Harriet make Sally promise regarding the attack by Bankhead?
3. Who seems like a nice man, but beats his wife?
4. According to Mammy Ursula, why didn't Sally take her freedom when it was offered?
5. With whom does Bankhead get angry for siding with the slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. In April 1820, what does Harriet reveal that she and her siblings have at the plantation that even the legitimate children of Jefferson do not have?
2. What does Randolph tell Harriet she must do within one year of being granted her freedom?
3. At the beginning of the book, how is it shown that Jefferson is a private man?
4. How does Randolph plan to protect Harriet from the overseer forcing her to become engaged to a slave?
5. What important point does Randolph give Harriet to consider during April 1820?
6. When Harriet speaks to Jefferson for the first time after Bankhead attacks her, why does she feel surprised and grateful?
7. Why is Harriet worried about Beverly in April 20, That Same Day?
8. What is Sally's real reason for sending Harriet to serve Thomas Mann Randolph his breakfast?
9. In Mid-May 1820, That Same Night, why is Bankhead so angry with Burwell?
10. What example does Harriet give to show that people are not always what they seem to be in the section called April 1820?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)