|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In October 1821, what concern does Harriet express about passing for white?
(a) That she'll be unable to write to her mother.
(b) That she will forget her real name.
(c) That she will be discovered.
(d) That she won't like it.
2. What is Harriet determined to do after Beverly leaves?
(a) Tell Jefferson she knows he's her father.
(b) Stay at Monticello.
(c) Tell Sally she knows Jefferson is her father.
(d) Go when her time comes.
3. What does Harriet's fiance tell her he does not want her to give up too quickly?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her right to make choices.
(c) Life on the plantation.
(d) Her freedom.
4. In That Same Day, what does Harriet promise her fiance she will do?
(a) Never speak of him to others.
(b) Stay at the plantation until he comes for her.
(c) Answer his letters.
(d) Love him forever.
5. What is Madison's opinion about Sally's children leaving Monticello and not seeing each other?
(a) He likes the idea.
(b) It's the right thing for them to do.
(c) He is excited for his time.
(d) It's not right.
6. Why is Harriet sad when she sees the slip of paper from Beverly on her bed?
(a) She can't read it.
(b) It means Beverly will not leave.
(c) It says she should forget all about him.
(d) She knows Beverly is leaving.
7. What reason does Harriet give for Jefferson not admitting he is the father of Sally's children?
(a) He isn't sure himself.
(b) It's the way things are in the world.
(c) He isn't their father.
(d) He doesn't love them.
8. In July 1820, why does Harriet say she is worried about Beverly?
(a) He isn't educated enough to be free.
(b) He seems ill.
(c) He is always angry.
(d) He says he's going to kill Jefferson.
9. What does Jefferson give Harriet in October 1821?
(a) A pocket watch.
(b) A new journal.
(c) A locket.
(d) A letter from her fiance.
10. In July 1820, what does Harriet say she doesn't want to be sold like when Jefferson dies?
(a) A house.
(c) A slave.
(d) A piece of furniture.
11. What kind of work does Harriet's fiance think he can arrange for her?
(b) Factory worker.
12. What does Harriet say is a gift not to be thrown away?
13. Where does Harriet meet Beverly before he leaves?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) At Mammy's cabin.
(c) In his room.
(d) In the orchard.
14. Why is Jefferson a little offended when he learns of Harriet's engagement?
(a) She is too young.
(b) No one told him.
(c) He doesn't think she should marry a white man.
(d) She doesn't like her fiance.
15. What is in the gunnysack that Beverly gives Harriet?
(a) His journals.
(d) A bottle of French claret.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Early July 1820, where does Harriet find her brothers?
2. Why does Mammy Ursula say Washington City will be a good place for Harriet?
3. Who says he will take care of Sally and Eston when Harriet leaves?
4. What do Harriet, Eston, and Madison do together while she tells them about accepting her freedom?
5. In his letter to Harriet, who does Randolph say may come to visit Harriet next summer?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)