|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jefferson give Harriet as a gift before she leaves?
(a) 50 dollars.
(b) His Farm Books.
(c) A locket.
(d) A hug.
2. What do Harriet, Eston, and Madison do together while she tells them about accepting her freedom?
(a) Pick tomatoes.
(b) Go horseback riding.
(c) Pick raspberries.
(d) Sit on a bench.
3. When Harriet goes to visit Mammy Ursula in May 17, 1822, what is Mammy doing?
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Making a basket.
4. What does Thruston give Harriet before she leaves Monticello?
(b) A vial of seeds.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A dress.
5. What does Jefferson give Harriet in October 1821?
(a) A locket.
(b) A pocket watch.
(c) A new journal.
(d) A letter from her fiance.
6. What surprises Harriet's fiance about the way she addresses Jefferson?
(a) She calls him Thomas.
(b) She calls him Master.
(c) She calls him Father.
(d) She calls him Mr. Jefferson.
7. What does Harriet say is a gift not to be thrown away?
8. How does Harriet meet her fiance?
(a) He comes to her room.
(b) Jefferson introduces them.
(c) She serves him tea.
(d) At a dinner party.
9. What does Sally say will eat Beverly up if he stays at Monticello?
(a) A bear.
(b) His guilt.
(c) The hard work.
(d) His anger.
10. When Beverly decides to leave the plantation, how does he leave?
(a) As a free black man.
(b) As a white man.
(c) Bright and early in the morning.
(d) He doesn't leave.
11. Why does Mammy Ursula say Washington City will be a good place for Harriet?
(a) It's a beautiful city.
(b) It is so big.
(c) There are lots of black people there.
(d) She has family there.
12. In October 1820, what does Harriet say kept her too busy to write in her journal?
(a) Her studies.
(b) Sally's many chores for her.
(c) Her letters to Thad.
(d) Jefferson's demands on her time.
13. What is the name of Harriet's fiance?
(a) Thruston Meyer.
(b) Thad Sandridge.
(d) Thomas Randolph.
14. Why is Harriet sad when she sees the slip of paper from Beverly on her bed?
(a) She knows Beverly is leaving.
(b) She can't read it.
(c) It says she should forget all about him.
(d) It means Beverly will not leave.
15. What is in the gunnysack that Beverly gives Harriet?
(a) His journals.
(c) A bottle of French claret.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet have bad dreams about shortly before she leaves the plantation?
2. What does Mammy Ursula warn Harriet to be careful of before she leaves?
3. What reason does Harriet give for Jefferson not admitting he is the father of Sally's children?
4. According to Mammy, how did everyone know about Harriet's plans?
5. In May 15, 1822, what does Harriet say scares her about Beverly?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)