|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mammy, how did everyone know about Harriet's plans?
(a) Jefferson made an announcement.
(b) Sally told everyone.
(c) Her studies.
(d) Thruston told everyone.
2. Who does Beverly say wasn't at Monticello when Harriet and Beverly were conceived?
(b) Peter Carr.
3. Why does Sally say she came back from Paris to Monticello with Jefferson?
(a) She loves Jefferson.
(b) Jefferson owns her.
(c) She missed her children.
(d) Her mother asked her to.
4. According to Harriet, what isn't safe for a free black woman?
(a) Leaving the plantation.
(b) The world.
(c) Getting an education.
(d) Getting married.
5. In July 1820, what does Harriet say she doesn't want to be sold like when Jefferson dies?
(b) A piece of furniture.
(c) A slave.
(d) A house.
6. Who sends the letter that outlines Harriet's journey to Washington City?
7. What does Jefferson give Harriet in October 1821?
(a) A pocket watch.
(b) A letter from her fiance.
(c) A locket.
(d) A new journal.
8. What does Harriet have bad dreams about shortly before she leaves the plantation?
(a) Jefferson's death.
(b) Being discovered.
(c) The people she'll leave behind.
(d) Her own death.
9. What do Harriet, Eston, and Madison do together while she tells them about accepting her freedom?
(a) Sit on a bench.
(b) Go horseback riding.
(c) Pick raspberries.
(d) Pick tomatoes.
10. What job does Harriet tell Mammy she will have when she leaves?
11. Why does Mammy Ursula say Washington City will be a good place for Harriet?
(a) She has family there.
(b) There are lots of black people there.
(c) It's a beautiful city.
(d) It is so big.
12. Who does Martha say Harriet's father is?
(a) She doesn't know.
(c) Peter Carr.
(d) A slave.
13. What is Madison's opinion about Sally's children leaving Monticello and not seeing each other?
(a) It's the right thing for them to do.
(b) It's not right.
(c) He is excited for his time.
(d) He likes the idea.
14. In May 15, 1822, what does Harriet say scares her about Beverly?
(a) He refuses to pass as white.
(b) He is undereducated.
(c) He is too trusting.
(d) He is too much like James.
15. What is in the gunnysack that Beverly gives Harriet?
(a) His journals.
(d) A bottle of French claret.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harriet meet Beverly before he leaves?
2. What does Mammy Ursula warn Harriet to be careful of before she leaves?
3. What surprises Harriet's fiance about the way she addresses Jefferson?
4. What is the name Harriet will take when she leaves the plantation?
5. How does Harriet meet her fiance?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)