|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Harriet's fiance about the way she addresses Jefferson?
(a) She calls him Thomas.
(b) She calls him Master.
(c) She calls him Father.
(d) She calls him Mr. Jefferson.
2. Who does Martha say Harriet's father is?
(a) She doesn't know.
(c) Peter Carr.
(d) A slave.
3. What does Jefferson give Harriet as a gift before she leaves?
(a) A hug.
(b) 50 dollars.
(c) A locket.
(d) His Farm Books.
4. Where does Harriet meet Beverly before he leaves?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In the orchard.
(c) In his room.
(d) At Mammy's cabin.
5. What is Harriet determined to do after Beverly leaves?
(a) Tell Sally she knows Jefferson is her father.
(b) Stay at Monticello.
(c) Go when her time comes.
(d) Tell Jefferson she knows he's her father.
6. What is the name of Harriet's fiance?
(a) Thruston Meyer.
(b) Thomas Randolph.
(d) Thad Sandridge.
7. What job does Harriet tell Mammy she will have when she leaves?
8. What does Harriet tell Madison and Eston all the children in their family will do when their time comes?
(b) Go to school.
(c) Confront Jefferson.
(d) Get married.
9. In July 1820, who does Harriet remind that it is hard to be a freed slave?
(b) Mammy Ursula.
10. According to Harriet, what isn't safe for a free black woman?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Getting an education.
(c) The world.
(d) Leaving the plantation.
11. What do Sally's children want her to finally admit in The Middle of August 1822?
(a) That she no longer loves Jefferson.
(b) That she doesn't care if her children leave.
(c) That she wants her freedom.
(d) The truth about her relationship with Jefferson.
12. What does Harriet have bad dreams about shortly before she leaves the plantation?
(a) Her own death.
(b) Being discovered.
(c) The people she'll leave behind.
(d) Jefferson's death.
13. In That Same Day, what does Harriet promise her fiance she will do?
(a) Love him forever.
(b) Answer his letters.
(c) Never speak of him to others.
(d) Stay at the plantation until he comes for her.
14. What do Harriet, Eston, and Madison do together while she tells them about accepting her freedom?
(a) Go horseback riding.
(b) Pick raspberries.
(c) Sit on a bench.
(d) Pick tomatoes.
15. How does Harriet meet her fiance?
(a) Jefferson introduces them.
(b) He comes to her room.
(c) She serves him tea.
(d) At a dinner party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What recipes does Harriet request from Mammy Ursula to take with her?
2. What instrument does Martha expect Harriet to play for her guests?
3. In October 1820, what does Harriet say kept her too busy to write in her journal?
4. Who says he will take care of Sally and Eston when Harriet leaves?
5. Who sends a letter to Harriet wishing her well and promising to help her if she ever needs assistance?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)