|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In July 1820, why does Harriet say she is worried about Beverly?
(a) He says he's going to kill Jefferson.
(b) He isn't educated enough to be free.
(c) He seems ill.
(d) He is always angry.
2. Why does Mammy Ursula say Washington City will be a good place for Harriet?
(a) It's a beautiful city.
(b) There are lots of black people there.
(c) She has family there.
(d) It is so big.
3. In That Same Day, what does Harriet promise her fiance she will do?
(a) Answer his letters.
(b) Love him forever.
(c) Never speak of him to others.
(d) Stay at the plantation until he comes for her.
4. What does Harriet have bad dreams about shortly before she leaves the plantation?
(a) Being discovered.
(b) Her own death.
(c) The people she'll leave behind.
(d) Jefferson's death.
5. According to Mammy, how did everyone know about Harriet's plans?
(a) Thruston told everyone.
(b) Sally told everyone.
(c) Her studies.
(d) Jefferson made an announcement.
6. What is in the gunnysack that Beverly gives Harriet?
(c) His journals.
(d) A bottle of French claret.
7. When Harriet goes to visit Mammy Ursula in May 17, 1822, what is Mammy doing?
(b) Making a basket.
(d) Reading a book.
8. What is the name of the inn Harriet will travel to?
(a) Three Horse Post.
(b) King Henry's.
9. What reason does Harriet give for Jefferson not admitting he is the father of Sally's children?
(a) He isn't their father.
(b) It's the way things are in the world.
(c) He isn't sure himself.
(d) He doesn't love them.
10. What does Harriet tell Madison and Eston all the children in their family will do when their time comes?
(a) Confront Jefferson.
(b) Go to school.
(d) Get married.
11. In October 1820, what does Harriet say kept her too busy to write in her journal?
(a) Jefferson's demands on her time.
(b) Her studies.
(c) Sally's many chores for her.
(d) Her letters to Thad.
12. Who sends a letter to Harriet wishing her well and promising to help her if she ever needs assistance?
13. Who will travel with Harriet to the inn?
(c) Mr. Petit.
14. Who says he will take care of Sally and Eston when Harriet leaves?
(d) Mammy Ursula.
15. In July 1820, who does Harriet remind that it is hard to be a freed slave?
(b) Mammy Ursula.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his letter to Harriet, who does Randolph say may come to visit Harriet next summer?
2. What does Sally say will eat Beverly up if he stays at Monticello?
3. What do Sally's children want her to finally admit in The Middle of August 1822?
4. Why does Randolph tell Harriet to show the letter he sends her to Martha?
5. What is Sally sitting on in the cellar when Harriet finds her in May 15, 1822?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)