|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is John ordered to go to Quantico to begin his training with the Boxwood Green operation?
2. How much do the mannequins the marines use for practice at Quantico weigh?
3. How long does John rent a car for when he comes back from Vietnam for operation Boxwood Green?
4. Who contacts John on his boat while he has Billy held captive?
5. How many trucks full of soldiers drive into the prison camp unexpectedly that cause John to call off operation Boxwood Green?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Boxwood Green first described to the troops training for the mission?
2. How is the character Georgiy first described in the book?
3. How is the training center at Quantico for the Boxwood Green mission described?
4. What does John do with Doris after finding her with Billy in a building?
5. What does John do with Billy after he kidnaps him and helps save Doris?
6. How does the military use the USS Constellation as a diversion in operation Boxwood Green?
7. What is the nature of Henry and Tony's meeting just after Doris's murder?
8. How are John's acts in Phase Three of operation Boxwood Green described?
9. How is John's visit with Sandy just before leaving for the Boxwood Green mission described?
10. How does John plan on getting to land from the USS Ogden during Phase One of Boxwood Green?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the presence of treachery in the book. How is Zacharias' treachery different from Charon's? How does the author present treachery as something that is sometimes unavoidable or easily manipulated?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of revenge is one that is explored through John's character.
Part 1.)What impact might the death of John's wife have on the way he takes revenge against Pam's killers? Does this make him react more severely than he might have otherwise?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of John's character, namely his tendencies as a soldier, based on his acts of revenge?
Part 3.) What repercussions does John have to face because of his acts of revenge, and why does he appear to not worry about facing them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of law enforcement in the book. How are detectives Ryan and Douglas's investigation tactics different from John, and what might the author be saying about the importance of having a solid justice system?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)