|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is suspected of being the gem thief?
2. What type of establishment does Big Flo operate?
3. What happens at towards the end of the play that causes the actors to have to ad-lib the the ending?
4. What nationality are the characters in the "God (A Play)"?
5. What type of vermin is the weal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who suggests that there be no ending to the play and how does Hepatitis respond?
2. What role does Al Capone play in Flo's life?
3. What is Weinstein's relationship and interaction with Harriet like?
4. How is Mr. Walker initially thought to have died and what truth about his death does the Inspector find?
5. What is the solution of the "The Stolen Gem" case?
6. What poem is being critiqued and what does the author say about the poet's works?
7. Who is Claire Memling and what is Vincent Van Gogh's relationship with her?
8. What importance does the critic put on the names mentioned in O'Shawn's poem and what does the critic try to do each time he sees a name?
9. What are some theories regarding Anne Hathaway that are presented in "But Soft...Real Soft"?
10. What is Three Deuces and who are some people that frequent it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define pulp fiction and whodunit writing styles that we have learned about and provide a brief history of these types of writing. Provide an example of each that can be found in "Without Feathers."
Essay Topic 2
Please define characterization and how it is conveyed by the author. What two types of characterization were studied in class? Please provide two examples, using quotes or samples directly from the text, of characterization in this book (the book may be used as a resource in answering this question).
Essay Topic 3
What role does a narrator play in a story or novel? Please define at least three different types of narrators and give examples from the book for at least two different types of narrators. As a reader, which type of narrator do you prefer?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)