|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion does Allen come to in "On Tripping Through a Copse Picking Violets"?
2. What is one way the oppressors can end a hunger strike according to Allen?
3. What is Kaiser's role in this story?
4. Who is the only individual that knows the entire plan to catch the strangler?
5. What does Mr. Sykes's spirit attempt to shoplift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of the young woman and the housefly in "The Predators"?
2. What advice does Allen offer in "On Frugality"?
3. Who does the narrator compare Allen's play to and what excuse does the narrator give for there being no later plays?
4. Who is Lovborg and his women? Who are his women supposed to symbolize?
5. What does the shepherd find in the caves and what do experts think of this discovery?
6. How do the oppressors and oppressed behave?
7. What are some of the worries or anxieties that Woody shares in the opening section of the book?
8. Who is Dr. Osgood Mulford Twelge and what does he do?
9. What do "On Seeing a Tree in Summer" and "On Tripping Through a Copse Picking Violets" seem to cover or determine?
10. What happens to Woody's and W.'s relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define the role of tone in a literary work. How is tone conveyed in literature? Please provide three examples from the book of tone.
Essay Topic 2
The character of God is involved in a number of Woody Allen's selections or short stories in "Without Feathers." What are three examples of references to God in "Without Feathers" and what does Allen seem to be saying about the character of God and his interaction/relationship with human beings?
Essay Topic 3
Please define parapsychology. List at least three criticisms/controversies that are associated with this field of study. Please explain what Woody Allen's opinion of parapsychology seems to be based on "Examining Psychic Phenomena" and provide three examples from this section that allude to parapsychology.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)