|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dmitri?
2. What is one way the oppressors can end a hunger strike according to Allen?
3. Who does Woody's girlfriend run away with?
4. Why does Word use Flossie's call-girl service?
5. What is the main purpose of a hunger strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lovborg and his women? Who are his women supposed to symbolize?
2. What happens to Woody's and W.'s relationship?
3. What happens to the doctor in the alley and what does he tell Kleinman?
4. What is the third and final method civil disobedience the author describes and how is it described?
5. What are some examples of what the ghost of Mr. Dubbs's brother says and does to his family?
6. Who are Netta and Dorf and what do they represent?
7. How does Flossie try to blackmail Word?
8. What does the reader derive about ghosts or spirits by reading "Examining Psychic Phenomena"?
9. What are some of the worries or anxieties that Woody shares in the opening section of the book?
10. Why does Berte kill herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define parody as a literary category. What are three examples of parody found in "Without Feathers" and what are they parodying?
Essay Topic 2
Please define characterization and how it is conveyed by the author. What two types of characterization were studied in class? Please provide two examples, using quotes or samples directly from the text, of characterization in this book (the book may be used as a resource in answering this question).
Essay Topic 3
Please define protagonist and antagonist. Provide three examples of each that can be found in "Without Feathers" and list the specific reasons why they are the antagonist or the protagonist.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)