|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that the oppressors want to maintain?
2. Who is Hans Spiro?
3. What letter does Woody know his girlfriend by?
4. Why does the narrator believe there are no later plays by Allen?
5. What secret does Kaiser find out about Flossie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the third and final method civil disobedience the author describes and how is it described?
2. Where does the title of this book come from and what does the title seem to mean?
3. What does Kaiser find when he arrives at Hunter College Book Store?
4. Who is Dr. Osgood Mulford Twelge and what does he do?
5. What are some of the worries or anxieties that Woody shares in the opening section of the book?
6. What is the story of the young woman and the housefly in "The Predators"?
7. How does the author describe a sit-down strike and what warning do they give?
8. Who are Netta and Dorf and what do they represent?
9. Who is Lovborg and his women? Who are his women supposed to symbolize?
10. What are some examples of what the ghost of Mr. Dubbs's brother says and does to his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a memoir and how does it differ from an autobiography? Which short story in "Without Feathers" is considered a memoir and who is the memoir about?
Essay Topic 2
Please define characterization and how it is conveyed by the author. What two types of characterization were studied in class? Please provide two examples, using quotes or samples directly from the text, of characterization in this book (the book may be used as a resource in answering this question).
Essay Topic 3
Please define what an essay is and define two different types of essays that were introduced to you in class. What essay style were "The Early Essays" written in?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)