|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do psychopaths see themselves in relation to others?
2. Why did the author decline to diagnose Saddam Hussein?
3. Why did the Australian Supreme Court pronounce Garry David mentally ill?
4. On what basis do parole boards release prisoners?
5. Why was Jeffrey Dahmer able to convince policemen that he was not committing crimes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attitude do white-collar psychopaths take toward their victims?
2. Why are many clinicians and family members reluctant to identify psychopathy in childhood?
3. What theory does the author feel may possibly explain the self-contradictory nature of psychopathic speech?
4. Why are the victims of psychopaths so reluctant to believe evidence of their wrongdoing?
5. What is the danger of inaccurate diagnosis of psychopathy?
6. What distinguishes the lying of psychopaths from that of other liars?
7. Why are nurturing, kind-hearted women ideal victims for psychopaths?
8. What "uncanny" ability of psychopaths helps them find potential victims?
9. How have family members often unwittingly contributed to a psychopath's misbehavior?
10. What warnings does the author give to those who are trying to deal with psychopaths in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining which characteristics of psychopaths make them ideal for working as imposters. Cite examples from the text or others you may know.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining Dr. Hare's admonition not to use the Psychopathy checklist for self-diagnosis or to diagnose acquaintances. What is the importance of this precaution? What is the temptation? How many of those characteristics could be reliably identified by a non-professional observer? For instance, is there a clear delineation between glib and non-glib? Between grandiose and enthusiastic?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay giving advice to parents whose very young child has begun to exhibit signs of psychopathy: indifference to the feelings of others, cruelty to animals and other children, etc. Give the parents your opinion as to whether it is an advantage to get an early diagnosis or not. Support your idea with material from the text.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)