|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sledge describe as having a bizarre blend of capable leadership and nonsensical behavior?
2. What does Sledge have nightmares of while stationed at the final days of Okinawa?
3. What do Sledge and a number of other Marines watch a Japanese mother do while on Okinawa?
4. How long does Sledge go in Okinawa without taking off his boots?
5. How do the troops in Sledge's unit react to the news that Germany has surrendered to the Allies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sledge feel as the barrage of Japanese fire continues after he rescues Caswell?
2. What is the condition of Sledge's feet when he takes his socks off after two weeks of not ever taking them off?
3. Why are Sledge and the other men forced to do a manual re-supply when it begins to rain on Okinawa?
4. What do Sledge and some of his comrades watch a Japanese woman do while they are on Okinawa?
5. Why are Sledge and his platoon not deeply affected by Franklin Roosevelt's death?
6. What is covering nearly every surface while sledge is stationed at Half Moon Hill?
7. What did Sledge do for the woman in the abandoned hut instead of what she wanted him to do?
8. What does Shadow reprimand one of Sledge's friends for doing while fighting on Okinawa?
9. What do Sledge and the men in his platoon urge Mac to do before they head into battle on Okinawa?
10. How does Sledge feel about his duty to police Okinawa after the area has been secured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While in Japan, Sledge experiences a few different extremes in the weather. What were these extremes? How did they affect Sledge's life? Were they a good force in his life? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Mark experiences moments of intense fear before he is to join the siege on the beaches at Peleliu and Okinawa. What are the differences in the fear he feels at these two instances? How does Sledge deal with the fear he feels?
Essay Topic 3
Sledge made a very good friend in Shelton. How did this friendship affect Sledge during his time in the combat zone? Was he a better soldier because of it? Why or why not?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)