|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sledge and his company ordered to do after Okinawa is declared "secure"?
2. What was the Japanese prisoner wearing who tried to block the way as Sledge's company headed away from Shuri?
3. Where is Sledge's unit located during the fighting in chapter 12?
4. What have the American armored vehicles been equipped with for psychological warfare reasons?
5. What does Mac shout when he approaches holed up enemies after battles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Japanese woman in the abandoned hut want Sledge to do for her?
2. Why were two marines fighting over a silly range card, when most cards got thrown away?
3. How do Sledge and his platoon take the news of Nease's death?
4. Why does Sledge feel so fortunate in his placement in Okinawa when he first arrives there?
5. Why are the weapons rusting so badly while on Okinawa?
6. How do Sledge and his platoon feel about Shadow?
7. What happens just as Sledge is looking at the picture of Kathy's chorus girl?
8. How do the officers treat the enlisted men after Okinawa is declared "secure"?
9. Why are Sledge and the other men forced to do a manual re-supply when it begins to rain on Okinawa?
10. What bad news does Sledge get from home when he finally gets mail from home in Okinawa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There was a lot of superstition tied up in Nease's death. What was this superstition? How do you think this superstition affected Nease? How did this death effect the men in Sledge's unit? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Sledge chose some very descriptive titles for each of his chapters. Choose 3 of the chapter titles and discuss why he named the chapter that way. What did it add to the text? Why do you think he chose that title?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happened when Sledge met the Okinawa woman in the hut. Why did Sledge not give her what she wanted? How did he try to help her? What happened? How did this outcome affect Sledge? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)