|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How deep is the mud during the rain in Okinawa?
2. What is the giant spatula used for at the bunkers of Okinawa?
3. What is different about the clay in Okinawa from the clay in Peleliu?
4. About how many American soldiers became casualties to secure Japan?
5. What did Shelton have to do with the Japanese infiltrator he killed at Peleliu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were two marines fighting over a silly range card, when most cards got thrown away?
2. What is the condition of Sledge's feet when he takes his socks off after two weeks of not ever taking them off?
3. What does Sledge credit his survival in combat to?
4. How does Sledge describe the 320mm spigot-mortar?
5. What is covering nearly every surface while sledge is stationed at Half Moon Hill?
6. Why are Sledge and the other men forced to do a manual re-supply when it begins to rain on Okinawa?
7. What do Sledge and some of his comrades watch a Japanese woman do while they are on Okinawa?
8. How does Sledge feel as the barrage of Japanese fire continues after he rescues Caswell?
9. Why does Sledge feel so fortunate in his placement in Okinawa when he first arrives there?
10. What is different about the soil in Peleliu and Okinawa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Caswell is someone who Sledge really respects. What are some of the experiences that Sledge has with Caswell that builds this respect? How does this example affect Sledge?
Essay Topic 2
Mark experiences moments of intense fear before he is to join the siege on the beaches at Peleliu and Okinawa. What are the differences in the fear he feels at these two instances? How does Sledge deal with the fear he feels?
Essay Topic 3
How did Sledge feel about his training? Was he grateful for it? Why or why not?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)