|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sledge feel about religion in war?
2. What does Sledge have nightmares of while stationed at the final days of Okinawa?
3. How long does Sledge go in Okinawa without taking off his boots?
4. What surprises Sledge about the picture that Kathy shows him?
5. Why are two Marines fighting over a range card from the ammunition package?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens just as Sledge is looking at the picture of Kathy's chorus girl?
2. What is covering nearly every surface while sledge is stationed at Half Moon Hill?
3. What does Sledge credit his survival in combat to?
4. Why are the weapons rusting so badly while on Okinawa?
5. What is the condition of Sledge's feet when he takes his socks off after two weeks of not ever taking them off?
6. Why are Sledge and the other men forced to do a manual re-supply when it begins to rain on Okinawa?
7. How do Sledge and his platoon feel about Shadow?
8. How does Sledge describe the 320mm spigot-mortar?
9. How do the officers treat the enlisted men after Okinawa is declared "secure"?
10. Why does Sledge feel so fortunate in his placement in Okinawa when he first arrives there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sledge witnesses some of the darkest sides of humanity while at war. What are some of these experiences? How do they affect Sledge? Does he follow their example? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While in Japan, Sledge experiences a few different extremes in the weather. What were these extremes? How did they affect Sledge's life? Were they a good force in his life? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
How did Sledge feel about his training? Was he grateful for it? Why or why not?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)