|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sledge feel about religion in war?
2. What does Sledge read in a letter from home after a hard day of combat in Okinawa?
3. What is the weather like as Sledge heads away from Shuri?
4. While reflecting on his time in battle, why is Sledge so grateful for his training during boot camp?
5. What does Sledge rescue from a mud pit while on Okinawa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mac's response to the urging of his platoon before the fighting begins on Okinawa?
2. What is covering nearly every surface while sledge is stationed at Half Moon Hill?
3. What do Sledge and the men in his platoon urge Mac to do before they head into battle on Okinawa?
4. Why are Sledge and his platoon not deeply affected by Franklin Roosevelt's death?
5. What did Sledge do for the woman in the abandoned hut instead of what she wanted him to do?
6. How does Sledge feel as the barrage of Japanese fire continues after he rescues Caswell?
7. What is different about the soil in Peleliu and Okinawa?
8. What do Sledge and some of his comrades watch a Japanese woman do while they are on Okinawa?
9. Why were two marines fighting over a silly range card, when most cards got thrown away?
10. Why are so many marines unable to continue fighting during the rainstorms on Okinawa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sledge witnesses a lot of comrades in arms die while in combat. Who are some of these people? What are some of the methods Sledge uses to express his grief? Which one do you think was the most effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What are Sledge and his unit called to do after they so bravely secured the island? How did Sledge feel about this? Why? Do you think he was validated in feeling this way? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Sledge made a very good friend in Shelton. How did this friendship affect Sledge during his time in the combat zone? Was he a better soldier because of it? Why or why not?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)