|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so impressive to Sledge about Haldane?
2. What was the name of Sledge's older brother?
3. Where is Sledge transferred to after Boot Camp?
4. What does Sledge see a man doing to a dead Japanese machine gunner after taking the pillbox?
5. What is Sledge trained in when he is off duty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sledge feel about Haldane?
2. What does Sledge do on Christmas Eve while in boot camp?
3. What do the men in Sledge's platoon have to receive before heading to Okinawa?
4. What was the controversial debate about the fighting in Peleliu?
5. How does Sledge describe the smell of the camp in Peleliu?
6. Why was the President Polk such an uncomfortable ship?
7. What does Sledge do as he and Shelton have to cross a highly unprotected air-strip on Peleliu?
8. What does Sledge do every time they take a break while crossing the unprotected air-strip on Peleliu?
9. How many of the men in Sledges class failed the Officers Training Program?
10. What happens to Caswell that causes Sledge to regard him with respect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sledge ensure that he will be able to join a combat unit before the fighting ends? How does he feel about this decision at the beginning of the book? Do you think his opinion of this changed throughout the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did Sledge change throughout the story? What were his thoughts at the beginning as compared to the end? What specific experiences during the war had profound impacts on him? Did he change for the better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How did Sledge feel about his training? Was he grateful for it? Why or why not?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)