|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the ship so poorly accommodated for the troops?
2. What is Sledge momentarily pinned down by at Peleliu?
3. What is the expected mortality rate on the beaches at Okinawa?
4. What chore at camp does Sledge hate the most?
5. Where is the first combat destination for Sledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the non-commissioned officers like at Camp Elliot?
2. How does Sledge's platoon react to the death of Haldane?
3. How does Sledge and his platoon finally defeat the group of Japanese soldiers who were hiding in the pillbox?
4. Why did Sledge fail his class at the Officers Training Program?
5. What happens to Caswell that causes Sledge to regard him with respect?
6. What does Sledge do as he and Shelton have to cross a highly unprotected air-strip on Peleliu?
7. How does Sledge feel about life on Pavuvu?
8. Why are there piles of corpses and feces lying around while Sledge is stationed in Peleliu?
9. What does Sledge do on Christmas Eve while in boot camp?
10. Why was the President Polk such an uncomfortable ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sledge talks at length about the mental repercussions of his combat experiences. What are some of these? Where did they come from? How do you think these things will affect Sledge after the war is over?
Essay Topic 2
Sledge comments on a few things about war that most history books do not mention. What are some of these things? How did they each affect the soldiers serving in the war?
Essay Topic 3
There was a lot of superstition tied up in Nease's death. What was this superstition? How do you think this superstition affected Nease? How did this death effect the men in Sledge's unit? Why?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)