|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were most of Sledge's classmates transferred to after Boot Camp?
2. What is Sledge trained in when he is off duty?
3. What does Sledge see a man doing to a dead Japanese machine gunner after taking the pillbox?
4. What is Sledge surprised to find as he watches the native birds on Peleliu?
5. How many men of the original 235 from Sledge's company left Peleliu unhurt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Japanese soldiers do at night while Sledge is stationed in Peleliu?
2. How does Sledge feel about his infantry training after boot camp?
3. How does Sledge feel about life on Pavuvu?
4. Why are there piles of corpses and feces lying around while Sledge is stationed in Peleliu?
5. How does Sledge's platoon react to the death of Haldane?
6. What was the controversial debate about the fighting in Peleliu?
7. What are the non-commissioned officers like at Camp Elliot?
8. How does Sledge feel about Haldane?
9. How does Sledge feel after he is pinned down by friendly fire during the counterattack at Peleliu?
10. What is different about Sledge's fear before he lands at the beach of Okinawa from when he landed at Peleliu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Sledge and his unit called to do after they so bravely secured the island? How did Sledge feel about this? Why? Do you think he was validated in feeling this way? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Sledge witnesses some of the darkest sides of humanity while at war. What are some of these experiences? How do they affect Sledge? Does he follow their example? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How did Sledge feel about his training? Was he grateful for it? Why or why not?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)