|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sledge's unit located during the fighting in chapter 12?
(a) Half Moon Hill.
(b) Bloody Nose Ridge.
(c) Broken Neck Hollow.
(d) Heart Break Hill.
2. What day is the island of Okinawa declared "secure"?
(a) July 20th.
(b) January 12th.
(c) June 12th.
(d) June 21st.
3. Where is Sledge transferred after the war is ended?
(b) Pearl Harbor.
4. What happens to most of the letters in the rain?
(a) The mail is back logged for months at a time.
(b) The paper dissolves before the men get their mail.
(c) The names are hard to read and men get the wrong letters.
(d) The ink is washed away.
5. What is the name of the major Japanese fortification that Sledge and his troop have to break through in order to gain victory?
(a) The Shuri Line.
(b) The Shore Line.
(c) The Beast Line.
(d) The Rock Line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the date of the atomic detonation at Hiroshima?
2. What is wrong with the Okinawan woman in the hut that Sledge finds?
3. What day did the war come to an end?
4. How do the men in Sledge's until feel about Shadow's appearance?
5. What does Sledge have nightmares of while stationed at the final days of Okinawa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens just as Sledge is looking at the picture of Kathy's chorus girl?
2. Why is chapter 9 entitled "Stay of execution"?
3. What does Shadow reprimand one of Sledge's friends for doing while fighting on Okinawa?
4. What bad news does Sledge get from home when he finally gets mail from home in Okinawa?
5. How do Sledge and his platoon take the news of Nease's death?
6. What is the condition of Sledge's feet when he takes his socks off after two weeks of not ever taking them off?
7. How do Sledge and his platoon feel about Shadow?
8. What does Sledge think will happen to Caswell when Sledge has to administer first-aid to his serious wounds and carry him back to base?
9. How does Sledge describe the 320mm spigot-mortar?
10. What happened to Shelton when he killed an infiltrator in Peleliu?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)