|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sledge's duty on the 50th day of combat at Okinawa?
(a) Medical assistant.
(b) Stretcher bearer.
(c) Statistics recorder.
(d) Trench digger.
2. What happens to most of the letters in the rain?
(a) The mail is back logged for months at a time.
(b) The names are hard to read and men get the wrong letters.
(c) The ink is washed away.
(d) The paper dissolves before the men get their mail.
3. Who does Sledge describe as having a bizarre blend of capable leadership and nonsensical behavior?
(d) Ack Ack.
4. What surprises Sledge about the picture that Kathy shows him?
(a) The lack of beauty.
(b) The lack of emotion.
(c) The beauty.
(d) The hope he gains.
5. What does Sledge fear most in battle?
(b) Maiming and pain.
(c) Going insane.
(d) The loss of comrades.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the highest-ranking American officer killed during World War II?
2. How do the men in Sledge's until feel about Shadow's appearance?
3. How many veterans of Peleliu remained after the campaign in Okinawa?
4. What do the Marines enjoy doing as they advance towards the Japanese ridges in Okinawa?
5. What do the officers do to the enlisted men after Okinawa is declared secure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sledge and some of his comrades watch a Japanese woman do while they are on Okinawa?
2. Why is chapter 9 entitled "Stay of execution"?
3. What is covering nearly every surface while sledge is stationed at Half Moon Hill?
4. What is so significant about the death of General Buckner?
5. What happened to Shelton when he killed an infiltrator in Peleliu?
6. Why are Sledge and his platoon not deeply affected by Franklin Roosevelt's death?
7. Why were two marines fighting over a silly range card, when most cards got thrown away?
8. Why are the weapons rusting so badly while on Okinawa?
9. What is different about the soil in Peleliu and Okinawa?
10. What does Shadow reprimand one of Sledge's friends for doing while fighting on Okinawa?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)