|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the veteran men feel about their commanding officer on Okinawa?
(a) They want him to seek medical attention.
(b) They enjoy his enthusiasm.
(c) They hold him in contempt.
(d) They fear he will die.
2. What does Sledge witness before he heads out to battle at the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) A priest giving communion.
(b) A group of soldires praying.
(c) A marine kissing a family picture.
(d) His commanding officer weeping.
3. What did Shelton have to do with the Japanese infiltrator he killed at Peleliu?
(a) Bury him.
(b) Stand guard while the body was investigated.
(c) Take him to the hospital.
(d) Return the body to the front lines.
4. What is the final Japanese hold-out position in Okinawa?
(a) Kunishi Ridge.
(b) Tunoshi Ridge.
(c) KiKishi Bridge.
(d) Kamakazi Bridge.
5. What did Sledge do after returning home from the war?
(a) Became a trainer at boot-camp.
(b) Bought a small farm for his mother.
(c) Re-enlisted as an officer.
(d) Left the military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sledge see strewn about that causes the stench of war?
2. What does Sledge read in a letter from home after a hard day of combat in Okinawa?
3. What is the giant spatula used for at the bunkers of Okinawa?
4. How long does Sledge go in Okinawa without taking off his boots?
5. Who dies in mid-April that causes little concern to the troops at Okinawa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the officers treat the enlisted men after Okinawa is declared "secure"?
2. What do Sledge and some of his comrades watch a Japanese woman do while they are on Okinawa?
3. What did Sledge do for the woman in the abandoned hut instead of what she wanted him to do?
4. What does Shadow reprimand one of Sledge's friends for doing while fighting on Okinawa?
5. Why does Sledge feel so fortunate in his placement in Okinawa when he first arrives there?
6. Why were two marines fighting over a silly range card, when most cards got thrown away?
7. What is different about the soil in Peleliu and Okinawa?
8. What did the Japanese woman in the abandoned hut want Sledge to do for her?
9. How does Sledge feel as the barrage of Japanese fire continues after he rescues Caswell?
10. What do Sledge and the men in his platoon urge Mac to do before they head into battle on Okinawa?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)