|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the troops instructed to do as they hit landfall?
(a) Fire into the trees.
(b) Get off the beach as quickly as possible.
(c) Scream like banshees to create distraction.
(d) Cover for the person in front of them.
2. What is the name of the ridge on Peleliu that was under almost constant barrage of artillery?
(a) Bloody Nose Ridge.
(b) Heart Attack Ridge.
(c) Broken Neck Ridge.
(d) Caualty Capital Ridge.
3. What does Sledge enjoy when he is relieved from the front lines at Peleliu?
(a) More rest.
(b) A detail of burying dead bodies.
(c) Letters from home.
(d) A chance to improve his personal hygeine.
4. What was the main focus of training for Sledge's instructor while at boot camp?
(a) Discipline under stress.
(c) Strength and Agility.
5. Where does Sledge go for R&R after his first tour of combat?
(a) Okinawa, Japan.
(b) Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
(c) Sicily, Italy.
(d) Macquitti Bay, Pavuvu.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Sledge when he died?
2. What do the Japanese do at night while Sledge is on Peleliu?
3. What was the name of the ship that Sledge and his company took after they completed their training?
4. What month does Sledge reach his destination for his off-combat time?
5. What do the men in Sledge's company debate about their work at Peleliu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sledge do on Christmas Eve while in boot camp?
2. Why is Sledge so excited to join combat?
3. What happens to Caswell that causes Sledge to regard him with respect?
4. What happens to Sledge right before they make the assault on Peleliu?
5. What is Sledge trained for when he reaches Guadalcanal?
6. What is Doherty's main focus while training Sledge and his classmates in boot camp?
7. What do the new marines in infantry training do when they meet some real veterans of war?
8. What are the non-commissioned officers like at Camp Elliot?
9. What was the controversial debate about the fighting in Peleliu?
10. How does Sledge feel about life on Pavuvu?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)