|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do some of the men in Sledge's company seek shelter when they are fired on from a pillbox that they thought was abandoned?
(a) In a nearby trench.
(b) Behind Japanese casualties.
(c) On top of the box.
(d) Behind some trees.
2. What is the name of the ridge on Peleliu that was under almost constant barrage of artillery?
(a) Heart Attack Ridge.
(b) Broken Neck Ridge.
(c) Bloody Nose Ridge.
(d) Caualty Capital Ridge.
3. Sledge gets the chance to meet veterans from where?
(a) British Isles.
4. What does Sledge see another Marine do to a wounded Japanese man with his Ka Bar?
(a) Extract his gold teeth while he is still alive.
(b) Take his family picture and cut it up.
(c) Urinate on his wounds.
(d) Slit his throat for fun.
5. Why is Sledge not ashamed of his fear before the assault on Peleliu?
(a) He knows he will fight bravely even though he is afraid.
(b) He was told to use his fear to empower him.
(c) He sees that all the other men with him feel the same way.
(d) He is strong enough to not shed tears.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is meant by "snapping in"?
2. What happens by mistake on Peleliu that causes Sledge to hate the waste and cruelty of war?
3. What was Sledge's Platoon number at Boot Camp?
4. What were the Marines taught about "fighting dirty"?
5. What famous personality performs a show for Sledge's company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sledge trained for when he reaches Guadalcanal?
2. Why did Sledge fail his class at the Officers Training Program?
3. What happens to Sledge right before they make the assault on Peleliu?
4. What does Sledge do every time they take a break while crossing the unprotected air-strip on Peleliu?
5. What do the Japanese soldiers do at night while Sledge is stationed in Peleliu?
6. Why is Sledge so happy about his appointment to the 60mm Mortar when he lands on Pavuvu?
7. Why does Sledge's boot camp instructor make his team march on the sand?
8. What is different about Sledge's fear before he lands at the beach of Okinawa from when he landed at Peleliu?
9. What is Sledge doing when he is startled by his feelings of peace during a time of war?
10. How does Sledge feel about his infantry training after boot camp?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)