|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many marines were lost on the first day of fighting at Peleliu?
2. What do the Japanese do at night while Sledge is on Peleliu?
(a) Collect souveniers from dead soldiers.
(b) Infiltrate the front lines.
(c) Bury their dead.
(d) Fire on the camps.
3. What holiday did Sledge graduate from boot camp on?
(b) Christmas Eve.
(c) Veteran's Day.
(d) Valentine's Day.
4. Who does Sledge attribute his survival in combat to?
(a) His boot camp instructor.
(b) His older brother.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His dead father.
5. What are Sledge and his company trained in while at the first destination?
(a) Large-scale amphibious assault training.
(b) Training on wide range weaponry.
(c) Extensive hand-to-hand combat.
(d) Endurance and land maneuvering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is surprising about the Japanese counter attack on Peleliu?
2. Why are there mountains of bodies and feces?
3. What did Sledge's instructors promise that they would need to know to do?
4. What is the expected mortality rate on the beaches at Okinawa?
5. What was the main focus of training for Sledge's instructor while at boot camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sledge's boot camp instructor make his team march on the sand?
2. Why is Sledge so nervous when he ships out from Guadalcanal?
3. What does Sledge do on Christmas Eve while in boot camp?
4. How does Sledge feel after he is pinned down by friendly fire during the counterattack at Peleliu?
5. What do the men in Sledge's platoon have to receive before heading to Okinawa?
6. What was the controversial debate about the fighting in Peleliu?
7. What is different about Sledge's fear before he lands at the beach of Okinawa from when he landed at Peleliu?
8. How does Sledge's platoon react to the death of Haldane?
9. What are the non-commissioned officers like at Camp Elliot?
10. What does Sledge do as he and Shelton have to cross a highly unprotected air-strip on Peleliu?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)