|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about the clay in Okinawa from the clay in Peleliu?
(a) It is more suitable for digging trenches.
(b) It has a soothing scent.
(c) It holds more moisture.
(d) It is much harder to dig trenches.
2. What surprises Sledge about the picture that Kathy shows him?
(a) The lack of beauty.
(b) The hope he gains.
(c) The beauty.
(d) The lack of emotion.
3. What does Sledge see strewn about that causes the stench of war?
(b) Decaying animal hides.
(c) Piles of garbage.
(d) Hills of excrement.
4. What does Sledge note that most accounts of war leave out of the record?
(a) The mental strain of having to take another man's life.
(b) The taxing struggle of manual re-supply.
(c) The effects of extreme sleep deprivation.
(d) The emotional toll of losing comrades in arms.
5. What does Sledge's commanding officer on Okinawa use to pretend that he is under attack?
(a) A sniper rifle.
(b) A grenade.
(c) A smoke bomb.
(d) A 60mm Mortar.
6. What is the weather like as Sledge heads away from Shuri?
(a) Constant light rain.
(b) Freezing cold.
(c) Extremely hot.
(d) Mild and breezy.
7. What have the American armored vehicles been equipped with for psychological warfare reasons?
(b) Flashing lights.
8. What does Shadow reprimand John Redifer for after a long day of harsh battle?
(a) Stealing extra food rations.
(b) Saying prayers before each battle.
(c) Showing bravery under fire.
(d) Hiding in a fox hoel during combat.
9. What was the Japanese prisoner wearing who tried to block the way as Sledge's company headed away from Shuri?
(a) Heavy armor.
(b) A loincloth.
(c) A marine uniform.
10. Who does Sledge describe as having a bizarre blend of capable leadership and nonsensical behavior?
(a) Ack Ack.
11. How do the veterans support each other after days of combat in the rain on Okinawa?
(a) They promise to watch each other's backs.
(b) They gather in small groups and give each other pep talks.
(c) They shout out horrible threats against the Japanese.
(d) They talk about home and forget about the war for a time.
12. What is the giant spatula used for at the bunkers of Okinawa?
(a) Performing autopsies on Japanese casualties.
(b) Scraping corpses out of the fox holes.
(c) Lifting mortars out of the mud.
(d) Preparing the meals for all the men.
13. Why is Mac's behavior at the front lines on Okinawa so unexpected?
(a) He has always been very quiet and meek.
(b) He promised to attack the Japanese line with a knife and a pistol.
(c) He swore to stay level headed.
(d) He mocked other men who would wound themselves.
14. What do the Japanese use for their counterattack after the third US attack in Okinawa?
(a) Amphibious vehicles.
(b) 60mm Mortars.
(c) Banzai attack units.
(d) Kamikaze planes.
15. How long does Sledge go in Okinawa without taking off his boots?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 20 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kathy get his nickname?
2. What is the one word that Sledge uses to describe Shadow?
3. What does Sledge get from having continuously wet feet?
4. How does Sledge get away from the Japanese sniper that stopped him on the way back to his camp?
5. What does Sledge read in a letter from home after a hard day of combat in Okinawa?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)