|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with the Okinawan woman in the hut that Sledge finds?
(a) All of the men in her life have been killed.
(b) She has a gangrenous wound.
(c) She is crazy.
(d) She is ashamed.
2. Who dies in mid-April that causes little concern to the troops at Okinawa?
(a) The Japanese Emoprer.
(b) President Roosevelt.
3. What does Sledge read in a letter from home after a hard day of combat in Okinawa?
(a) His brother was killed.
(b) His dog has been killed.
(c) His mother is sick.
(d) His girlfriend is married.
4. How often are the infiltrations happening in chapter 13?
5. What is covering nearly every surface while Sledge works as a stretcher bearer?
6. How do the veteran men feel about their commanding officer on Okinawa?
(a) They enjoy his enthusiasm.
(b) They hold him in contempt.
(c) They want him to seek medical attention.
(d) They fear he will die.
7. What does Sledge feel is slipping away as he endures barrage after barrage of Japanese fire on Okinawa?
(a) His belief in God.
(b) His hope.
(c) His sanity.
(d) His emotions.
8. How did Kathy get his nickname?
(a) He is very feminine.
(b) His last name is Kathleen.
(c) He had an affair with a chorus girl.
(d) His wife's name is Kathy and he constantly talks about her.
9. Where is Sledge transferred after the war is ended?
(d) Pearl Harbor.
10. How do the veterans support each other after days of combat in the rain on Okinawa?
(a) They shout out horrible threats against the Japanese.
(b) They talk about home and forget about the war for a time.
(c) They gather in small groups and give each other pep talks.
(d) They promise to watch each other's backs.
11. What is different about the clay in Okinawa from the clay in Peleliu?
(a) It is more suitable for digging trenches.
(b) It holds more moisture.
(c) It has a soothing scent.
(d) It is much harder to dig trenches.
12. What does Sledge's commanding officer on Okinawa use to pretend that he is under attack?
(a) A grenade.
(b) A 60mm Mortar.
(c) A sniper rifle.
(d) A smoke bomb.
13. Why do the men have to perform their own re-supply operations while fighting on Okinawa?
(a) The vehicles has been disarmed by the Japanese.
(b) There were not enough supplies left to justify the fuel for a vehicle.
(c) The mud is keeping the vehicles from being able to move.
(d) It is a much more stealthy maneuver to use men.
14. What do the men have to do while in the foxholes and trenches when the ground gets over-saturated with rain?
(a) Jump up and down to keep warm.
(b) Constantly bail the water out with helmets and ration tins.
(c) Air out their clothes to try and stay dry.
(d) Dig deeper trenches.
15. What have the American armored vehicles been equipped with for psychological warfare reasons?
(d) Flashing lights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was so amazing about Boyle's clothing after the 50th day of combat?
2. Where is Sledge's unit located during the fighting in chapter 12?
3. While reflecting on his time in battle, why is Sledge so grateful for his training during boot camp?
4. What does Lieutenant Stanley collapse from after the fighting at Okinawa?
5. What is the name of the major Japanese fortification that Sledge and his troop have to break through in order to gain victory?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)