|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one word that Sledge uses to describe Shadow?
2. What does Sledge have nightmares of while stationed at the final days of Okinawa?
(a) The U.S. losing.
(b) Seeing people he loves being killed at home.
(c) Firing at men who cannot die.
(d) The dead awaking and walking about.
3. How does Sledge get away from the Japanese sniper that stopped him on the way back to his camp?
(a) His NCO sends a patrol to help him.
(b) He waits for the sniper to fall asleep.
(c) He shoots the sniper.
(d) He and the sniper walk away on a silent agreement.
4. How do the troops in Sledge's unit react to the news that Germany has surrendered to the Allies?
(a) They are angry that they were not there.
(b) They get more motivation to push forward.
(c) They throw a huge party.
(d) They are not impressed.
5. What is covering nearly every surface while Sledge works as a stretcher bearer?
6. What is Sledge's duty on the 50th day of combat at Okinawa?
(a) Statistics recorder.
(b) Trench digger.
(c) Medical assistant.
(d) Stretcher bearer.
7. What does Mac do after he shouts into the holed up enemies after battles?
(a) He brutally attacks them.
(b) He empties out his magazine into the hole.
(c) He helps them to escape.
(d) He takes them as prisoners of war.
8. Why do the men have to perform their own re-supply operations while fighting on Okinawa?
(a) The mud is keeping the vehicles from being able to move.
(b) It is a much more stealthy maneuver to use men.
(c) There were not enough supplies left to justify the fuel for a vehicle.
(d) The vehicles has been disarmed by the Japanese.
9. What surprises Sledge about the picture that Kathy shows him?
(a) The lack of emotion.
(b) The hope he gains.
(c) The beauty.
(d) The lack of beauty.
10. About how many American soldiers became casualties to secure Japan?
11. What was the Japanese prisoner wearing who tried to block the way as Sledge's company headed away from Shuri?
(a) Heavy armor.
(c) A marine uniform.
(d) A loincloth.
12. What does Sledge note that most accounts of war leave out of the record?
(a) The taxing struggle of manual re-supply.
(b) The mental strain of having to take another man's life.
(c) The emotional toll of losing comrades in arms.
(d) The effects of extreme sleep deprivation.
13. What does Mac do when he is about to go into combat on Okinawa?
(a) He digs a giant trench and hides.
(b) He goes insane.
(c) He purposely wounds himself so that he can get sent away.
(d) He screams out threats and profanities all day long.
14. Why is chapter 9 titled "Stay of Execution"?
(a) Sledge's landing on Okinawa was largely unopposed.
(b) He watched many of his comrades- in-arms die.
(c) Sledge felt that they were merely executing civilians rather than fighting soldiers.
(d) He was given the job of executing P.O.W.s.
15. What does Sledge's commanding officer on Okinawa use to pretend that he is under attack?
(a) A grenade.
(b) A sniper rifle.
(c) A 60mm Mortar.
(d) A smoke bomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men in Sledge's until feel about Shadow's appearance?
2. What do the Marines enjoy doing as they advance towards the Japanese ridges in Okinawa?
3. What is the giant spatula used for at the bunkers of Okinawa?
4. What are most of the survivors of Okinawa suffering from after weeks of battle?
5. What does Mac shout when he approaches holed up enemies after battles?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)