|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Sledge's boot camp instructor?
(a) Captain Douglas.
(b) Chancellor Daniels.
(c) Corporal Doherty.
(d) Commander Davidson.
2. What was the name of the ship that Sledge and his company took after they completed their training?
(a) President Washington.
(b) President Polk.
(c) President Johnson.
(d) President Lincoln.
3. Where is Peleliu?
(a) A tiny island in the Palau group.
(b) In Polynesia.
(c) A small group of islands off the coast of Korea.
(d) On the mainland of Japan.
4. What famous personality performs a show for Sledge's company?
(a) Lil' Abner.
(b) Bob Hope.
(c) Peggy Armstrong.
(d) Marilyn Monroe.
5. What were the troops instructed to do as they hit landfall?
(a) Cover for the person in front of them.
(b) Get off the beach as quickly as possible.
(c) Fire into the trees.
(d) Scream like banshees to create distraction.
6. What is the name of the ridge on Peleliu that was under almost constant barrage of artillery?
(a) Broken Neck Ridge.
(b) Caualty Capital Ridge.
(c) Bloody Nose Ridge.
(d) Heart Attack Ridge.
7. What is Sledge recognized as after his graduation from boot camp?
(a) A legal voter.
(b) An instructor.
(c) A marine.
(d) An officer.
8. What is a Ka Bar?
(d) Large knife.
9. What unique hand-to-hand combat technique was offered at Camp Elliot?
(a) Knife fighting and judo.
10. Who does Sledge attribute his survival in combat to?
(a) His boot camp instructor.
(b) His dead father.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His older brother.
11. What month does Sledge reach his destination for his off-combat time?
12. What did Sledge's instructors promise that they would need to know to do?
(a) Fight with a knife.
(b) Shoot with precision.
(c) Walk without sound.
(d) Cauterize a wound.
13. What was the gruesome souvenir that one of Sledge's comrades was forced to discard?
(a) A Japanese tongue.
(b) A piece of Japanese flesh.
(c) A severed Japanese hand.
(d) A Japanese flag.
14. What is Sledge's main job while he is deployed at Bloody Nose Ridge?
(a) A stretcher bearer.
(b) A grenade launcher.
(c) A land surveyor.
(d) A medical assistant.
15. What does Sledge watch explode from direct Japanese fire?
(a) A close friend.
(b) A small patch of beach next to him.
(c) An Amtrac.
(d) A Marine DUKW.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were most of Sledge's classmates transferred to after Boot Camp?
2. What does Sledge resent about the officers giving him orders during his non-combat time?
3. What was the company's opinion of Captain Haldane?
4. How did Sledge make sure he was able to fight?
5. What was the name of Sledge's older brother?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)