|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were most of Sledge's classmates transferred to after Boot Camp?
(a) Camp Willams.
(b) Camp Elliot.
(c) Camp Pendleton.
(d) Camp David.
2. What day are the men scheduled to land on Okinawa?
(a) June 12th.
(b) April 1st.
(c) May 11th.
(d) March 14th.
3. What was the name of the ship that Sledge and his company took after they completed their training?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) President Polk.
(c) President Johnson.
(d) President Washington.
4. What is a "million dollar wound"?
(a) A wound that is not bad enough to stop their fighting.
(b) A wound that gets you out of the combat zone without being killed.
(c) A wound caused in a Japanese sniper.
(d) A fatal wound.
5. What does Sledge watch explode from direct Japanese fire?
(a) An Amtrac.
(b) A Marine DUKW.
(c) A close friend.
(d) A small patch of beach next to him.
6. What does Sledge do at every stop along the way as they advance along the airfield on Peleliu?
(a) Pours sweat from his boot.
(b) Repeats the Lord's Prayer.
(c) Counts his heart beats.
(d) Sings a hymn.
7. What happens by mistake on Peleliu that causes Sledge to hate the waste and cruelty of war?
(a) A marine trips over a wounded soldier and breaks his leg.
(b) A marine steps on a land mine.
(c) A marine kills another wounded marine.
(d) A marine sets off a of grenade next to an ammunition tent.
8. What is surprising about the Japanese counter attack on Peleliu?
(a) It came too soon.
(b) It was much more intense than anticipated.
(c) It was not as intense as anticipated.
(d) It was not a Banzai attack.
9. What famous personality performs a show for Sledge's company?
(a) Bob Hope.
(b) Lil' Abner.
(c) Marilyn Monroe.
(d) Peggy Armstrong.
10. What is Sledge recognized as after his graduation from boot camp?
(a) A marine.
(b) A legal voter.
(c) An instructor.
(d) An officer.
11. What were the Marines taught about "fighting dirty"?
(a) Only when necessary.
(b) Do not hesitate.
(c) There is no such thing.
(d) Never stoop to that level.
12. Who replaces Haldane as the commanding officer?
13. What holiday did Sledge graduate from boot camp on?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(c) Veteran's Day.
(d) Valentine's Day.
14. What does Sledge say in his interview to be an officer?
(a) He could never put men in harm's way.
(b) He is not knowledgeable enough to lead.
(c) He would not want to re-enlist just to be promoted.
(d) He has little respect for most of his officers.
15. Why is Sledge not ashamed of his fear before the assault on Peleliu?
(a) He is strong enough to not shed tears.
(b) He knows he will fight bravely even though he is afraid.
(c) He sees that all the other men with him feel the same way.
(d) He was told to use his fear to empower him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he see the veteran soldiers do when they see the first Japanese casualties?
2. What does a clear distinct voice tell Sledge while he is sitting with a group of buddies on Peleliu?
3. Why are there mountains of bodies and feces?
4. Sledge gets the chance to meet veterans from where?
5. What is Sledge momentarily pinned down by at Peleliu?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)