|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Sledge's Platoon number at Boot Camp?
2. Why does Sledge have to hold tight to the Amtrac before the beach assault on Peleliu?
(a) His partner faints and Sledge must control it alone.
(b) He swoons from fear.
(c) The water is very choppy .
(d) He takes a moment to pray.
3. What is different from Bailey and the other officers at Sledge's non-combat location?
(a) He is a veteran.
(b) He knows some of the enlisted men.
(c) He did not feel himself above the enlisted soldiers.
(d) He was promoted because of merit.
4. What does Sledge do at every stop along the way as they advance along the airfield on Peleliu?
(a) Repeats the Lord's Prayer.
(b) Pours sweat from his boot.
(c) Counts his heart beats.
(d) Sings a hymn.
5. What causes Sledge momentary mental confusion as he is fighting outside of the pillbox?
(a) He loses his hearing for a moment from a blast.
(b) He sees a Marine accidentally kill another Marine.
(c) He sees a good friend die.
(d) He witnesses his first direct kill.
6. What month was Sledge transported to combat?
7. What is a "million dollar wound"?
(a) A fatal wound.
(b) A wound that gets you out of the combat zone without being killed.
(c) A wound caused in a Japanese sniper.
(d) A wound that is not bad enough to stop their fighting.
8. What war is this book set in?
9. What famous personality performs a show for Sledge's company?
(a) Bob Hope.
(b) Lil' Abner.
(c) Marilyn Monroe.
(d) Peggy Armstrong.
10. What do the Japanese do at night while Sledge is on Peleliu?
(a) Infiltrate the front lines.
(b) Collect souveniers from dead soldiers.
(c) Fire on the camps.
(d) Bury their dead.
11. What does Sledge's commander do when half of his class flunks out?
(a) He resigns from his post, feeling he has failed.
(b) He cries.
(c) He screams and demands re-testing.
(d) He winks and nods.
12. What does Sledge enjoy when he is relieved from the front lines at Peleliu?
(a) A chance to improve his personal hygeine.
(b) More rest.
(c) A detail of burying dead bodies.
(d) Letters from home.
13. What is so impressive to Sledge about Haldane?
(a) He is incredibly brave.
(b) His laugh is infectious and warm.
(c) He has the strength of ten men.
(d) He has remarkable concern for his men.
14. How does Sledge's company celebrate Christmas while they are away from combat?
(a) A USO concert with Bob Hope.
(b) Big presentation of presents.
(c) Good food.
(d) They read Bible passages and pray for peace.
15. What is the name of the ridge on Peleliu that was under almost constant barrage of artillery?
(a) Bloody Nose Ridge.
(b) Caualty Capital Ridge.
(c) Broken Neck Ridge.
(d) Heart Attack Ridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shelton's nick-name?
2. What is Sledge's main job while he is deployed at Bloody Nose Ridge?
3. What is the expected mortality rate on the beaches at Okinawa?
4. What is the focus of training at Camp Elliot?
5. What was the name of the ship that transported Sledge to combat?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)