Chapter 1, Making of a Marine
• Sledge enlists in the Marine Corps after completing his freshman year. Edward, an older brother, is a second lieutenant in the Army and Sledge wants to enter combat operations.
• Sledge and about half of his class deliberately flunk out of their Officers Training Course and are transferred, with a wink from their commanding officer, to the enlisted ranks in the Marine infantry.
• Sledge is transferred to San Diego and enters boot camp. His instructor, Doherty, demands a relentless regime of exercise under stress and focuses heavily on discipline during stressful situations.
• Sledge graduates from boot camp on Christmas Eve, 1943 and is officially recognized as a marine.
• Most of his classmates are transferred to Camp Pendleton but Sledge is transferred to Camp Elliot.
Chapter 2, Preparation for Combat
• Sledge is housed in modern barracks at Camp Elliot and finds the entire experience satisfactory and even...
This section contains 2,508 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)