|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Senate, John J. Crittenden proposed the Crittenden Plan which suggested what?
2. General Winfield Scott was _________ to take the field.
3. Lincoln called for troops from the Union, and there was a riot in ___________ when the Sixth Massachusetts tried to march through.
4. By what was Mary haunted?
5. When McClellan finally ordered his army into the enemy camp at Manassas, what did he find?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Southern Confederacy formed?
2. What happened when Lincoln said he did not support the amendment?
3. Describe Grant.
4. How did General Lee shock the Union?
5. Why did Lincoln grow his Quaker beard?
6. Who did Lincoln invite to stay with him and Mary at the White House? What was this person's reaction to staying with the Lincoln's?
7. Describe Lincoln's generals.
8. What was happening to Lincoln's reconstruction plan in Louisiana?
9. Describe Lincoln's vision. What was Mary's interpretation of this vision?
10. Who was Lincoln desperately trying to keep in the Union? What was the outcome of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many changes occur due to the Emancipation Proclamation.
Part 1) What is the Emancipation Proclamation? Why does the Emancipation Proclamation take place? How does it change events in the war? Are these changes good? Why or why not?
Part 2) Was the Emancipation Proclamation necessary to end the war? Why or why not? Did most U.S. citizens want the Emancipation Proclamation? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might the Emancipation Proclamation have helped to change the minds of American citizens? How might it also have been detrimental in the minds of some Americans?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great amount of political turmoil throughout Lincoln's career in politics.
Part 1) Describe this political turmoil. What caused this turmoil? How did Lincoln and other respond to it?
Part 2) How did Lincoln and others help to create this turmoil? How does this turmoil affect our world today?
Part 3) What political turmoil exists in our world today? How does it compare to the turmoil of the 19th century?
Essay Topic 3
The Union Army is weak through much of the war.
Part 1) Describe the Union Army. Why is it so weak? How is this reflected in various Civil War battles?
Part 2) How is the army able to be successful in the end? How do the leaders of this army learn from their mistakes? What role does Lincoln play in the strengthening of this army?
Part 3) Compare the Union Army to the U.S. Army today?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)