|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Meade like his predecessors?
2. In __________ Tennessee, Ulysses S. Grant won a victory for the Union, though rumors persisted that he was a drunk.
3. What accusations surrounded Mary?
4. Robert, Lincoln's oldest son, wanted to do what, but Mary said no?
5. McClellan then clashed with General Lee over Richmond, but forgot to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did General Lee shock the Union?
2. What was happening to Lincoln's reconstruction plan in Louisiana?
3. How was the Southern Confederacy formed?
4. How did Lincoln go about changing who was in charge of the Potomac Army?
5. Describe Grant.
6. What did Lincoln do with the Fugitive Slave Law? What were the effects of this?
7. Why did Lincoln grow his Quaker beard?
8. What are two battles won by the Union? What problems still existed, though?
9. Who did Lincoln invite to stay with him and Mary at the White House? What was this person's reaction to staying with the Lincoln's?
10. Describe the events at the National Soldier's Cemetery at Gettysburg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Union Army is weak through much of the war.
Part 1) Describe the Union Army. Why is it so weak? How is this reflected in various Civil War battles?
Part 2) How is the army able to be successful in the end? How do the leaders of this army learn from their mistakes? What role does Lincoln play in the strengthening of this army?
Part 3) Compare the Union Army to the U.S. Army today?
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809.
Part 1) Describe his childhood. How did the skills he learned as a child benefit him as an adult?
Part 2) Do his personality and interests predispose him to the career he would have as an adult? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Lincoln's childhood compare to your own? How does your personality affect decisions you make and interests you have?
Essay Topic 3
Sherman burns cities in the South.
Part 1) What is the reason for this strategy? Is it effective? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sherman compare to other military leaders in the Civil War? How necessary is he to the Union? Explain.
Part 3) Should Sherman have burned cities in the south? Why or why not? How has this destruction affected the South? How is this destruction still seen today?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)