|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomas Lincoln died on January 17, 1851. Did Lincoln attend the funeral?
2. What were Douglas' ideas causing in the Democratic party?
3. Why did Thomas Lincoln go back to Kentucky to bring home a new wife, Sarah Bush Johnston, or "Sally?"
4. Lincoln focused on _____________ Illinois, because this part of the state would be the deciding factor.
5. Lincoln became known as ___________ lawyer.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Lincolns raise their children?
2. Why did Lincoln become known as a railroad lawyer?
3. What was the "Lost Speech?"
4. Describe Lincoln's early education.
5. What children were born amid these deaths?
6. Who were Abraham Lincoln's parents?
7. What did Lincoln think about the Mexican War?
8. What was Lincoln's first job? How might this have affected his opinion on slavery?
9. With what is Lincoln concerned? How does he feel this issue should be handled?
10. What political party did Lincoln join? Who were their rivals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many changes occur due to the Emancipation Proclamation.
Part 1) What is the Emancipation Proclamation? Why does the Emancipation Proclamation take place? How does it change events in the war? Are these changes good? Why or why not?
Part 2) Was the Emancipation Proclamation necessary to end the war? Why or why not? Did most U.S. citizens want the Emancipation Proclamation? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might the Emancipation Proclamation have helped to change the minds of American citizens? How might it also have been detrimental in the minds of some Americans?
Essay Topic 2
The Union Army is weak through much of the war.
Part 1) Describe the Union Army. Why is it so weak? How is this reflected in various Civil War battles?
Part 2) How is the army able to be successful in the end? How do the leaders of this army learn from their mistakes? What role does Lincoln play in the strengthening of this army?
Part 3) Compare the Union Army to the U.S. Army today?
Essay Topic 3
Lincoln has a vision.
Part 1) Describe this vision. How is it related to his obsession? How does it affect him?
Part 2) How does this vision and Mary's interpretation of it act as foreshadowing? What other foreshadowing takes place?
Part 3) How dose this vision reflect his personality? How does this side of his personality contrast his public persona?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)