|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Douglas' ideas causing in the Democratic party?
2. After inauguration, the President passed what, declaring the Declaration a white man's document, and that Congress had no right to prohibit slavery in any of the territories?
3. Why did Lincoln not drink alcohol?
4. In 1832, what was Lincoln's first venture into political platforms?
5. What bill did Stephen A. Douglas create?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what is Lincoln concerned? How does he feel this issue should be handled?
2. What was Lincoln's first job? How might this have affected his opinion on slavery?
3. How did the Republicans want Lincoln to pin down Douglas?
4. What were the results when Lincoln and Douglas put themselves forth as Presidential candidates?
5. What was significant about Kansas' rejection of the LeCompton Constitution?
6. What was the Dred Scott decision?
7. What did free-soilers think about the Kansas-Nebraska Bill? Why?
8. What was the Missouri Compromise? How did the Kansas-Nebraska Bill affect the Missouri Compromise?
9. What did Lincoln think about the Mexican War?
10. How was Lincoln unique as a lawyer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lincoln was growing sicker and sicker.
Part 1) What might have been causing this illness? How did his role as President affect his health?
Part 2) How did this coincide with another vision? How might all this have affected him?
Part 3) If he had not been assassinated, do you believe he would have been able to finish out his second term in office? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln opened a country store with Jon Berry, but they went into debt.
Part 1) How did this debt occur? How did it affect Lincoln? What did he learn from this?
Part 2) What did he call this debt? Why might he have called it this?
Part 3) What can we as Americans learn from Lincoln's debt and his process of dealing with it?
Essay Topic 3
Lincoln believes that Negroes have Constitutional rights.
Part 1) Why does he believe they have Constitutional rights? How does this belief compare to the beliefs of others?
Part 2) How important is this belief throughout his political career? How important is the war to his beliefs? Why?
Part 3) How have his beliefs affected the U.S. as we know it? How different might our culture be without this belief of Lincoln and the Civil War?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)