|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In ____________, Lincoln met Mary Ann Todd, a witty young woman who could talk with him about politics.
2. The Missouri Compromise was a line dividing the North and South, above which slavery was __________.
3. Lincoln and Mary secretly became engaged, and set November 4th as their wedding date. When did they tell her family?
4. What event perpetuated Lincoln's fatalistic beliefs and preoccupation with death?
5. Colonel Robert E. Lee was sent into the fray to put the rebellion down, and the incident was branded by Southerners as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mary Todd.
2. What was the Dred Scott decision?
3. What might have begun Lincoln's fascination with madness?
4. What were the effects of Douglas' "don't care" attitude?
5. What did the bill spark?
6. Describe the political environment at this time. What did this mean for the Whigs?
7. What did free-soilers think about the Kansas-Nebraska Bill? Why?
8. How does "Sally" come to be a part of the Lincoln family?
9. What political party did Lincoln join? Who were their rivals?
10. Why did Lincoln become known as a railroad lawyer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lincoln was assassinated on April 14th.
Part 1) How did Lincoln's decisions throughout his Presidency affect John Wilkes Booth? What did Booth think he would accomplish by killing Lincoln?
Part 2) How was his assassination foreshadowed? What is ironic about his assassination?
Part 3) How did Lincoln's assassination affect the country? How might Lincoln's death have also been beneficial to the Union?
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln is reelected.
Part 1) How does he go about getting reelected? What does this say about the country?
Part 2) how does this reelection affect him? Should he have wanted to be reelected? Why or why not?
Part 3) What does his reelection do for the country?
Essay Topic 3
Lincoln opened a country store with Jon Berry, but they went into debt.
Part 1) How did this debt occur? How did it affect Lincoln? What did he learn from this?
Part 2) What did he call this debt? Why might he have called it this?
Part 3) What can we as Americans learn from Lincoln's debt and his process of dealing with it?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)