|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Lincolns move to central Illinois?
2. During his candidacy, Lincoln was encouraged to write an autobiography for what reason?
3. Where were the Lincolns married?
4. Describe Robert Todd.
5. Why did Thomas Lincoln go back to Kentucky to bring home a new wife, Sarah Bush Johnston, or "Sally?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the consequences of Lincoln's "House Divided" speech?
2. Why did Lincoln become known as a railroad lawyer?
3. What did the bill spark?
4. With what is Lincoln concerned? How does he feel this issue should be handled?
5. Describe the political environment at this time. What did this mean for the Whigs?
6. Describe Douglas and Lincoln's first debate.
7. What were the results when Lincoln and Douglas put themselves forth as Presidential candidates?
8. What was the Missouri Compromise? How did the Kansas-Nebraska Bill affect the Missouri Compromise?
9. How do the Lincolns raise their children?
10. How did Mary and Abraham handle her family's desire to see their relationship end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lincoln became known for his physical strength and honesty.
Part 1) Describe Lincoln's physical build and character. How is this seen in him as a child and throughout his adolescence?
Part 2) How do these traits benefit him as a lawyer and politician?
Part 3) How might people think of you? What traits are dominant in your appearance and personality?
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln and Douglas hold many debates and give many speeches.
Part 1) Who is Douglas? Compare Douglas and Lincoln. Describe Lincoln and Douglas' relationship.
Part 2) Describe their debates and speeches. How did this competition between these two men affect the U.S. at this time, including the beliefs of the general public, politics, war, and the institution of slavery?
Part 3) Do debates and speeches such as this influence us today? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Lincoln makes plans for emancipation.
Part 1) What is emancipation? How does he make plans for emancipation? How do others influence his plans?
Part 2) What role does the Civil War play in the ability for emancipation to occur? What do others think about Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation? Why?
Part 3) Could the North have won the war without the emancipation? Why or why not?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)