|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Was Lincoln with the free-soilers?
2. Insecurities with whom would plague him for many years?
3. The bill sparked what debates?
4. The Missouri Compromise was a line dividing the North and South, above which slavery was __________.
5. Republican papers began mentioning Lincoln's name for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political environment at this time. What did this mean for the Whigs?
2. Describe Robert Lincoln.
3. Describe Lincoln's early education.
4. What children were born amid these deaths?
5. How did the Republicans want Lincoln to pin down Douglas?
6. What did the bill spark?
7. How was Lincoln unique as a lawyer?
8. With what is Lincoln concerned? How does he feel this issue should be handled?
9. What was significant about Kansas' rejection of the LeCompton Constitution?
10. Why did Lincoln become known as a railroad lawyer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lincoln has an obsession with death.
Part 1) Describe this obsession. Why might it have begun? What events exacerbated it?
Part 2) How can this be seen as foreshadowing? How does it affect him throughout his life?
Part 3) What is the connection between this obsession and his religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Lincoln opened a country store with Jon Berry, but they went into debt.
Part 1) How did this debt occur? How did it affect Lincoln? What did he learn from this?
Part 2) What did he call this debt? Why might he have called it this?
Part 3) What can we as Americans learn from Lincoln's debt and his process of dealing with it?
Essay Topic 3
Lincoln was growing sicker and sicker.
Part 1) What might have been causing this illness? How did his role as President affect his health?
Part 2) How did this coincide with another vision? How might all this have affected him?
Part 3) If he had not been assassinated, do you believe he would have been able to finish out his second term in office? Why or why not?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)