|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lincoln put ______________ Hooker in command of the Potomac Army.
(a) "Fighting Frank."
(b) "Fighting Fred."
(c) "Fighting John."
(d) "Fighting Joe."
2. South Carolina unanimously voted to do what?
(a) Secede from the Union.
(b) Remain peaceful.
(c) Stay with the Union.
(d) Create their own nation.
3. The War Department began mobilizing black regiments, agreeing that black and white outfits would do what?
(a) Remain together.
(b) Train together.
(c) Remain segregated.
(d) Fight side by side.
4. The public was clamoring for a battle to take place, so Lincoln called Generals Scott and McDowell to discuss what?
(a) Spring offensives.
(b) Summer offensives.
(c) Fall offensives.
(d) Winter offensives.
5. Southern concerns about slavery were growing more frantic, and Lincoln refused to make a public statement. Why did he refuse to do this?
(a) The Southern papers always misconstrued what he said, painting him as a radical abolitionist.
(b) The Southerners did not want him to respond.
(c) He did not know how to respond to the Southerners.
(d) He became more introverted and ignored the Southerners' pleas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fremont do in Missouri without Lincoln's permission?
2. Robert E. Lee decided to fight for whom?
3. Lincoln got Congress to sign a bill that overturned what, outlawing slavery in all federal territories?
4. Did Lincoln support this amendment?
5. Lincoln declared a blockade of the Southern coast, and was trying desperately to keep the border states in the Union, including what states?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when McClellan clashed with General Lee over Richmond?
2. How did Lincoln get slavery outlawed in all federal territories?
3. What did the Union worry about Great Britain doing? What did Great Britain end up doing? Why might they have done this?
4. What was happening to Lincoln's reconstruction plan in Louisiana?
5. What ended Lincoln's 10% plan? How was he affected by this and other actions by members of the Republican Party?
6. Describe Lincoln's initial cabinet members.
7. How did Lincoln handle McClellan's inactivity?
8. What are two battles won by the Union? What problems still existed, though?
9. How did General Lee shock the Union?
10. What happened to Willie? How did this affect the Lincolns?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)