|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Was Lincoln advocating war?
(b) Most likely.
2. In 1832, what was Lincoln's first venture into political platforms?
(a) He ran for state legislature.
(b) He ran for town council.
(c) He ran for the school board.
(d) He ran for Congress.
3. In January __________, a Lincoln campaign for Presidential candidacy was officially underway.
4. From what did Nancy Lincoln die?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
(d) Milk sickness.
5. Lincoln ran his Senatorial campaign against Douglas for what reason?
(a) On principle.
(b) For personal gain.
(c) For his father.
(d) For Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. In October 1839 the Whigs held a convention and endorsed who for President, beginning the so-called Log and Cabin Campaign?
2. What was Abraham's first job?
3. What were Douglas' ideas causing in the Democratic party?
4. Colonel Robert E. Lee was sent into the fray to put the rebellion down, and the incident was branded by Southerners as what?
5. Why did Thomas Lincoln go back to Kentucky to bring home a new wife, Sarah Bush Johnston, or "Sally?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lincoln's first job? How might this have affected his opinion on slavery?
2. Describe the political environment at this time. What did this mean for the Whigs?
3. What were the consequences of Lincoln's "House Divided" speech?
4. What were the effects of Douglas' "don't care" attitude?
5. Who were Abraham Lincoln's parents?
6. How did Mary and Abraham handle her family's desire to see their relationship end?
7. What did Lincoln think about the Mexican War?
8. How did the Republicans want Lincoln to pin down Douglas?
9. Why did Lincoln become known as a railroad lawyer?
10. What political party did Lincoln join? Who were their rivals?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)