|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. General Lee shocked the Union by doing what?
(a) Joining the Union.
(b) Taking rebel troops north.
(d) Resigning from his position.
2. Grant was a small man who graduated from where?
(a) West Point.
(b) Culver Military Academy.
(c) Maine Maritime Academy.
(d) The Naval Academy.
3. Why did Lincoln refuse to make any compromises about slavery?
(a) He refused to make any compromises throughout his Presidency.
(b) He was afraid to upset the Southern and border states.
(c) He did not want to buy his right to be peacefully inaugurated.
(d) He did not want slavery to exist in the Union.
4. Because of ____________, most Democrats were now against Lincoln.
(a) The war.
(b) The Union's success.
(c) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(d) The draft.
5. Lincoln decided to post Henry Halleck as what, trying to find a man who would fight for him?
(a) Brevet Brigadier General.
(b) Major General.
(c) Brevet Lieutenant General.
(d) General in Chief.
6. Who was Lincoln's Attorney General?
(a) James Speed.
(b) Montgomery Blair.
(c) William Dennison.
(d) Edward Bates.
7. Who were refuges for Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln's boys Willie and Tad.
(b) Lincoln's cabinet members.
(c) His wife and son, Robert.
(d) His close friends.
8. Who was Fredrick Douglass?
(a) An army general.
(b) An inventor.
(c) A member of Lincoln's cabinet.
(d) An influential black abolitionist leader.
9. Lincoln and who ran on the Republican ticket for the next election?
(a) Jack Johnson.
(b) Andrew Johnson.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) John Andrews.
10. Lincoln demoted McClellan and had who take over the Commander in Chief job?
(a) Joseph G. Totten.
(c) Albert S. Johnston.
(d) Sylvester Churchill.
11. In the Senate, John J. Crittenden proposed the Crittenden Plan which suggested what?
(a) Abolishing the Missouri Compromise line, encouraging slavery.
(b) Moving the location of the Missouri Compromise line, abolishing slavery in some southern states.
(c) Moving the Missouri Compromise line, encouraging slavery in some northern states.
(d) Reviving the Missouri Compromise line, abolishing slavery above it, and protecting slavery below it.
12. ____________ stayed in the Union.
(a) West Vriginia and Illinois.
(b) Massachusetts, and Maryland.
(c) Kentucky and Illinois.
(d) Maryland and Missouri.
13. Lincoln had to relieve General Burnside because of what?
(a) A disastrous campaign at Fredericksburg.
(b) The public did not like Burnside.
(c) Burnside became very ill.
(d) Burnside was a secret southern sympathizer.
14. Who did Lincoln think about after Willie's death?
(a) His mother.
(c) His father.
15. The Confederates sent an army into the state, which enraged _________________ and pushed them into the Union.
(a) West Virginians.
Short Answer Questions
1. The public was clamoring for a battle to take place, so Lincoln called Generals Scott and McDowell to discuss what?
2. After his election, Lincoln had a troubling ________.
3. Lincoln demoted McDowell in favor of who to take command of the Army of the Potomac?
4. Lincoln still needed more troops, so he enforced what?
5. McClellan still refused to attack the rebels head-on. Why?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)