|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Fredrick Douglass?
(a) An influential black abolitionist leader.
(b) A member of Lincoln's cabinet.
(c) An inventor.
(d) An army general.
2. Jude Early led a rebel force from Harper's Ferry to seize what city?
(d) New York.
3. What did Fremont do in Missouri without Lincoln's permission?
(a) Allowed slavery to exist.
(b) Declared martial law.
(c) Created a militia.
(d) Began a civil war within the state.
4. What plot was uncovered in Baltimore?
(a) To assassinate the President-elect.
(b) To kidnap the President-elect.
(c) To bribe the President-elect.
(d) To rob the President-elect.
5. After his election, Lincoln had a troubling ________.
6. Reconstruction in Louisiana was _____________.
(d) A waste of time.
7. Along with South Carolina, what did Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas do?
(a) Established the Southern Confederacy.
(b) Created their own country.
(c) Stayed peaceful throughout the war.
(d) Remained loyal to the Union.
8. When McClellan finally ordered his army into the enemy camp at Manassas, what did he find?
(a) The camp abandoned and a great deal of weaponry.
(b) A well-stocked and well-trained Confederate Army.
(c) A Union regiment.
(d) The camp abandoned and that the cannons he thought the rebels had were just logs.
9. While Grant settled in to siege Petersburg, Lincoln accepted Chase's resignation as Secretary of Treasury and appointed the position to who?
(a) William Fessenden.
(b) William Dennison.
(c) Edward Bates.
(d) Montgomery Blair.
10. ______________ declared itself "neutral" in the conflict, with people enlisting in both armies.
(a) West Virginia.
11. On January 1st, 1863, as Commander in Chief of the army and navy, Lincoln would do what?
(a) Force all white men age eighteen and older to join the military.
(b) Force all POWs to be Union soldiers.
(c) Liberate all slaves in the rebel states.
(d) Send his army and navy fleets to battle.
12. McClellan's _____________ was a huge problem.
(a) Lack of intelligence.
(b) Lack of experience.
13. Because of ____________, most Democrats were now against Lincoln.
(a) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) The draft.
(c) The Union's success.
(d) The war.
14. He left McClellan in charge of what army?
(a) The Army of Kentucky.
(b) The Western Army.
(c) The Army of Viriginia.
(d) The Army of the Potomac.
15. Who was Lincoln's Attorney General?
(a) William Dennison.
(b) Edward Bates.
(c) Montgomery Blair.
(d) James Speed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln appointed Salmon Chase as what?
2. How did Lincoln meet with his cabinet members?
3. George Gordon Meade continued with the Army of the Potomac on a collision course with Lee where?
4. By what was Mary haunted?
5. Though Salmon Chase was favored to run against Lincoln for the Republican nomination, what scandal erased any hope Chase had for the nomination?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)