|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lincoln focused on _____________ Illinois, because this part of the state would be the deciding factor.
2. The Republicans held a convention with Lincoln as the keynote speaker, and he gave an hour-and-a-half long impromptu speech. As what is this speech known?
(a) The Worst Speech.
(b) The Lost Speech.
(c) The Last Speech.
(d) The Best Speech.
3. The Presidential campaign of 1856 elected who?
4. Where was Lincoln born?
(a) In a log cabin in Indiana.
(b) In a log cabin in Missouri.
(c) In a log cabin in Kentucky.
(d) In a log cabin in Illinois.
5. Describe Nancy Hanks Lincoln.
(a) Withdrawn and melancholy.
(b) Immature and irresponsible.
(c) Stern and unemotional.
(d) Convivial and hard-working.
6. The bill sparked what debates?
7. Originally was slavery going to be allowed in the West?
8. What had been made practically obsolete by this bill?
(a) The Fugitive Law.
(b) The Illinois Bill.
(c) The Missouri Compromise.
(d) The Mississippi Compromise.
9. Kansas rejected the LeCompton Constitution, ensuring what?
(a) It would eventually be a free state.
(b) It could be a free state.
(c) It would eventually be a slave state.
(d) It would be a slave state.
10. Where had a civil war begun?
11. He entered into a law practice with John Todd Stuart, and won his first court case. What type of case was this?
(b) Armed Robbery.
12. Republican papers began mentioning Lincoln's name for what?
(b) The Presidency.
(d) The Senate.
13. When did the Lincolns move to central Illinois?
(a) March 1829.
(b) March 1830.
(c) March 1828.
(d) March 1831.
14. Why did Lincoln not drink alcohol?
(a) He was very religious.
(b) It threatened his self-control.
(c) He could not afford it.
(d) He did not like the taste of it.
15. Thomas Lincoln died on January 17, 1851. Did Lincoln attend the funeral?
(a) Yes, but only for a few moments.
(c) Yes, but only after everyone else had left.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln was the only lawyer who did what?
2. Colonel Robert E. Lee was sent into the fray to put the rebellion down, and the incident was branded by Southerners as what?
3. The Missouri Compromise was a line dividing the North and South, above which slavery was __________.
4. In October 1839 the Whigs held a convention and endorsed who for President, beginning the so-called Log and Cabin Campaign?
5. The Kansas-Nebraska Bill was Stephen A. Douglas' idea of what?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)