|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Lincoln born?
(a) February 12, 1806.
(b) February 12, 1807.
(c) February 12, 1809.
(d) February 12, 1808.
2. What was Abraham's first job?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was a banker.
(c) He was a sexton at the Pigeon Creek Baptist Church.
(d) He was a store clerk.
3. How did many free-soilers feel about the Kansas-Nebraska Bill?
4. Douglas tried to put himself forth as the Democratic Presidential candidate, but he completely alienated Southern Democrats with what?
(a) His oscillating stances on slavery.
(b) His unintelligent remarks.
(c) His poorly written speeches.
(d) His rude behavior.
5. What two boys were born to the Lincolns?
(a) Teddy and Lincoln.
(b) John and James.
(c) Sam and Todd.
(d) William and Thomas.
6. Who was Lincoln's idol?
(a) Henry Clay.
(b) William Henry Harrison.
(c) Clay Aiken.
(d) Benjamin Harrison.
7. Describe Robert Todd.
8. Sixteen-year-old Abraham grew estranged from his farmer father. Why?
(a) His father did not understand his son's desire for education.
(b) His father did not understand his son's desire to be President.
(c) His father wanted him to be educated.
(d) His father was cruel and unfeeling.
9. Lincoln became known as what because of his tough pioneer background and his legal work with the railroad?
(a) The rail splitter.
(b) The railroad man.
(c) The Midwestern Davy Crockett.
(d) The railroad pioneer.
10. He entered into a law practice with John Todd Stuart, and won his first court case. What type of case was this?
(b) Armed Robbery.
11. What event perpetuated Lincoln's fatalistic beliefs and preoccupation with death?
(a) Lincoln's sister, Sarah, died in 1828 in childbirth.
(b) The death of Lincoln's wife in 1828.
(c) Lincoln's father's death in 1828.
(d) The death of Sally in 1828 in childbirth.
12. Lincoln read voraciously and taught himself mathematics, but his real interest was in what?
13. How did Robert Lincoln feel when his father was away on political trips?
(a) He missed him.
(b) He was happy.
(c) He worried about him.
(d) He was bored.
14. When the Kansas-Nebraska Bill was passed, it left the status of slavery up to who?
(a) The Governors.
(b) The people who settled in the territory.
(c) The President.
15. How did Lincoln feel without Mary?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln focused on _____________ Illinois, because this part of the state would be the deciding factor.
2. Lincoln's Republicans wanted him to pin Douglas down on what?
3. The Kansas-Nebraska Bill was Stephen A. Douglas' idea of what?
4. In ____________, Lincoln met Mary Ann Todd, a witty young woman who could talk with him about politics.
5. Lincoln and Mary resolved to be friends, and even wrote what together?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)