|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were the Lincolns married?
(a) Edwards mansion.
(b) Lincoln's home.
(c) The Courthouse.
(d) St. Paul's Cathedral.
2. Why did Thomas Lincoln go back to Kentucky to bring home a new wife, Sarah Bush Johnston, or "Sally?"
(a) He was lonely.
(b) His household was floundering.
(c) He fell in love with Sally.
(d) His children asked him for a mother.
3. When Lincoln moved to New Salem, for what did he become known?
(a) His height and beard.
(b) His physical strength and honesty.
(c) His tall hat.
(d) His quiet demeanor.
4. Douglas tried to put himself forth as the Democratic Presidential candidate, but he completely alienated Southern Democrats with what?
(a) His oscillating stances on slavery.
(b) His poorly written speeches.
(c) His rude behavior.
(d) His unintelligent remarks.
5. Lincoln's Republicans wanted him to pin Douglas down on what?
(a) All the contradictions he had made in his campaign.
(b) His illegal actions.
(c) His tax evasion.
(d) His beliefs about slavery.
6. Was Lincoln with the free-soilers?
(c) Only at first.
7. How did Lincoln convince the court that the railroad did not have to pay county taxes?
(a) Because they were public enterprises.
(b) Because they are not-for-profit.
(c) Because they do not have the money.
(d) Because they did not earn enough money to pay taxes.
8. Lincoln read newspapers voraciously, and was concerned about what?
(a) Equality between men and women.
(b) The contrast in socio-economic levels.
(c) Large company monopolies.
(d) Race riots between white men and abolitionists.
9. What school did Lincoln attend irregularly between ages 11 and 15, developing interests in reading, poetry, penmanship, and the early years of the American Republic?
(a) The "blab school."
(b) A parochial school.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) A private school.
10. Lincoln wanted to run for a senate seat, but he could not. Why not?
(a) He was already a member of the senate.
(b) He was very ill.
(c) He was a member of the legislature.
(d) No one wanted to vote for him.
11. Lincoln was a member of what political party?
(a) The Green party.
(b) The Democratic party.
(c) The Know-Nothing party.
(d) The Whig party.
12. On what topic did Lincoln agree with Henry Clay?
(a) Slavery should be decided by individuals.
(b) The North and South should be separated.
(c) Negroes were not subhuman, and should have Constitutional rights.
(d) The Missouri Compromise is a good idea.
13. In October 1859, a band of Northern abolitionists tried to capture ____________, a town in Virginia, and start a rebellion.
(d) Harpers Ferry.
14. In 1858, Lincoln gave what famous speech at the Republican convention?
(a) Our House.
(b) A House Divided.
(c) A House United.
(d) A Home for All.
15. Sixteen-year-old Abraham grew estranged from his farmer father. Why?
(a) His father was cruel and unfeeling.
(b) His father did not understand his son's desire for education.
(c) His father wanted him to be educated.
(d) His father did not understand his son's desire to be President.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bill did Stephen A. Douglas create?
2. Their first debate was in what town?
3. Why did Lincoln write to Mary Owens to release her from their engagement?
4. What did neighbors think about the Lincoln children?
5. Lincoln was the only lawyer who did what?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)