|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nat doing when Kit arrives at Hannah's in Chapter 12?
2. What crimes is Kit charged with at her trial?
3. What does William's response to Kit's trial make her realize?
4. Whom does John tell Kit he is in love with?
5. What does Kit confide to Hannah when she brings her Nat's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does corn husking take place and what is done at a corn husking?
2. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
3. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
4. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
5. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
6. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
7. What news is brought to town by the militiamen?
8. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
9. Why do the townspeople come to arrest Kit and what "proof" do they claim to have to support their arrest?
10. How do Kit and Nat help Hannah stay safe as the mob of angry townspeople come for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define the role of the "protagonist" and "antagonist" in a literary work. Describe one protagonist and one antagonist in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond." Note what makes them either the protagonist or antagonist, their relationship each other, and provide at least one clear example in which the protagonist and antagonist interact in a contentious situation.
Essay Topic 2
Please define the literary terms plot and subplot. Explain the major differences and provide detailed examples of both from the novel. What is the purpose of the subplot(s) in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Define the act of characterization in a novel and its importance. Please choose one character from the novel and explain how the author uses characterization in relation to this character.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)