|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit Kit when she is locked away as a prisoner?
2. Who hides the charter from the new governor?
3. How does Mr. Cruff respond when his daughter reads the Bible in front of the courtroom?
4. What happens to the young sailors when they are caught in town?
5. With the coming of winter, what is Kit's emotional state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
2. How do Prudence's parents view her and treat her?
3. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
4. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
5. What news is brought to town by the militiamen?
6. What charges are brought against Kit at her trial? What is the punishment for these charges?
7. When does corn husking take place and what is done at a corn husking?
8. What does Prudence do and say in Kit's favor during her trial?
9. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
10. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain what the rising action is in a literary novel. Outline the rising action(s) found in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," and briefly explain what follows the rising action in a novel and what specifically follows the rising action in this story.
Essay Topic 2
Please define the literary terms plot and subplot. Explain the major differences and provide detailed examples of both from the novel. What is the purpose of the subplot(s) in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast dating or courting in Kit's time with dating or courting today. How does Kit seem to enjoy the method of courting in her time? How would you feel about having to live by the courting rules of Colonial times?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)