|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the Woods' house to help with Mercy in Chapter 17?
2. What does John think when he hears that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
3. Where does Nat think to take Hannah to keep her safe?
4. Why do the townspeople want to arrest Kit?
5. When the Dolphin is back in port, what does Nat bring back for Hannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the townspeople come to arrest Kit and what "proof" do they claim to have to support their arrest?
2. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
3. What plan do Kit and Prudence undertake to teach Prudence to read?
4. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
5. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
6. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
7. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
8. When does corn husking take place and what is done at a corn husking?
9. What news is brought to town by the militiamen?
10. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what scapegoats are and what purpose they serve. Who becomes a scapegoat in this novel? What circumstances lead to them becoming a scapegoat and who is making them a scapegoat?
Essay Topic 2
Please define the role of the "protagonist" and "antagonist" in a literary work. Describe one protagonist and one antagonist in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond." Note what makes them either the protagonist or antagonist, their relationship each other, and provide at least one clear example in which the protagonist and antagonist interact in a contentious situation.
Essay Topic 3
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)