|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prudence come to the courtroom to do?
2. What are those individuals called who are against the rule of the king in the colonies?
3. What is Nat doing when Kit arrives at Hannah's in Chapter 12?
4. What do some rowdy sailors put in the windows of the house William is building?
5. Who is governor of the Connecticut Colony by Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
2. Why do the townspeople come to arrest Kit and what "proof" do they claim to have to support their arrest?
3. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
4. How do Prudence's parents view her and treat her?
5. What plan do Kit and Prudence undertake to teach Prudence to read?
6. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
7. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
8. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
9. Why does Rachel give Kit a tart to take to Hannah?
10. What does Prudence do and say in Kit's favor during her trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liberty is an important aspect of the colonists' lives. Please: 1) Explain why liberty is so highly valued by the colonists, 2) Give some examples of how the colonists see liberty in their daily lives, and 3) Name one major symbol of liberty that the colonists esteem.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what makes a "coming-of-age" story. Does Kit's role in this novel fit the definition? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Intolerance is a major theme in this novel. Please explain what intolerance is, how intolerance is seen in this novel, what parties are involved in the intolerance, and what the main cause of the intolerance is. Provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)