|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nat insist on doing after dinner at Hannah's?
2. What rumor does Nat hear when he returns with the Dolphin to Wethersfield?
3. Who comes to the Woods' house to help with Mercy in Chapter 17?
4. Who is left out again from the corn-husking festivities?
5. When Kit arrives at her aunt's house, what disturbing news does she hear about John Holbrook?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
2. Why do the townspeople come to arrest Kit and what "proof" do they claim to have to support their arrest?
3. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
4. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
5. Why does Rachel give Kit a tart to take to Hannah?
6. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
7. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
8. What charges are brought against Kit at her trial? What is the punishment for these charges?
9. How does Kit feel about fixing the roof with Nat?
10. After the trial, what realizations do William and Kit come to regarding their potential marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain Kit's view of slavery and where her view comes from. Compare and contrast this with the Wethersfield view of slavery. Initially, how do you think Kit's view of slavery affects her view of hard manual labor? What is her view of doing work at the beginning of the book? How it is at the end?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what makes a "coming-of-age" story. Does Kit's role in this novel fit the definition? Why or why not?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)