|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about autumn enchants Kit?
2. What holiday does the new governor decide to change the date of?
3. What does John think when he hears that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
4. What cargo is Nat's ship carrying in Chapter 14?
5. When Kit arrives at her aunt's house, what disturbing news does she hear about John Holbrook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
2. What news is brought to town by the militiamen?
3. What plan do Kit and Prudence undertake to teach Prudence to read?
4. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
5. Why does Rachel give Kit a tart to take to Hannah?
6. Why do the townspeople come to arrest Kit and what "proof" do they claim to have to support their arrest?
7. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
8. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
9. After the trial, what realizations do William and Kit come to regarding their potential marriage?
10. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the process that Kit goes through in adapting to her new life in Wethersfield. Give a general overview of her adjustment to the life there, from her arrival to the final chapter in the novel. What are some ways Kit is successful in adjusting to Wethersfield? What are some ways Kit is unsuccessful or unwilling to adapt?
Essay Topic 2
Please note who the main character is in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" and list at least four minor characters and their roles in the story. How do these characters contribute to the story? Why are they included?
Essay Topic 3
Please define conflict in the literary sense. Outline the main conflict in "The Witch at Blackbird Pond," and use at least three examples that support your view of what the main conflict is.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)