|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kit confide to Hannah when she brings her Nat's gift?
2. What is Kit's response when William proposes?
3. Where does Prudence meet with Kit to learn to read?
4. What about autumn enchants Kit?
5. When the Dolphin is back in port, what does Nat bring back for Hannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
2. Why does Rachel give Kit a tart to take to Hannah?
3. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
4. How do Prudence's parents view her and treat her?
5. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
6. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
7. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
8. What plan do Kit and Prudence undertake to teach Prudence to read?
9. After the trial, what realizations do William and Kit come to regarding their potential marriage?
10. When does corn husking take place and what is done at a corn husking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain what the rising action is in a literary novel. Outline the rising action(s) found in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," and briefly explain what follows the rising action in a novel and what specifically follows the rising action in this story.
Essay Topic 2
Define what a setting is in a novel. Please explain the purpose of the setting and what the overall setting is in this novel. Provide three examples of more specific settings that occur in pivotal moments of the novel. Explain why a setting is so important to the overall story.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe Kit's first interaction with Hannah. What is Kit's initial reaction to Hannah? How does Kit's view and opinion of Hannah change in the course of their first meeting? Throughout the novel? Why?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)