|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes in Prudence does the reader see in Chapter 16?
2. What rumor does Nat hear when he returns with the Dolphin to Wethersfield?
3. Whom does John tell Kit he is in love with?
4. In Chapter 11, what does Kit notice as John Holbrook reads aloud to the group in the Woods' house?
5. Why do the townspeople come to Matthew's door saying they are going to get Hannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
2. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
3. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
4. How do Prudence's parents view her and treat her?
5. Where is Kit taken when she is arrested and who comes to visit her?
6. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
7. What news is brought to town by the militiamen?
8. After the trial, what realizations do William and Kit come to regarding their potential marriage?
9. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
10. When does corn husking take place and what is done at a corn husking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
Essay Topic 2
Please explain Kit's view of slavery and where her view comes from. Compare and contrast this with the Wethersfield view of slavery. Initially, how do you think Kit's view of slavery affects her view of hard manual labor? What is her view of doing work at the beginning of the book? How it is at the end?
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast dating or courting in Kit's time with dating or courting today. How does Kit seem to enjoy the method of courting in her time? How would you feel about having to live by the courting rules of Colonial times?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)