|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the townspeople want to arrest Kit?
2. Whom does John tell Kit he is in love with?
3. How does Matthew react when he learns that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
4. What do some rowdy sailors put in the windows of the house William is building?
5. What rumor does Nat hear when he returns with the Dolphin to Wethersfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
2. Why do the townspeople come to arrest Kit and what "proof" do they claim to have to support their arrest?
3. What plan do Kit and Prudence undertake to teach Prudence to read?
4. How does Kit feel about fixing the roof with Nat?
5. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
6. Where is Kit taken when she is arrested and who comes to visit her?
7. What does Prudence do and say in Kit's favor during her trial?
8. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
9. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
10. After the trial, what realizations do William and Kit come to regarding their potential marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the process that Kit goes through in adapting to her new life in Wethersfield. Give a general overview of her adjustment to the life there, from her arrival to the final chapter in the novel. What are some ways Kit is successful in adjusting to Wethersfield? What are some ways Kit is unsuccessful or unwilling to adapt?
Essay Topic 3
Please define conflict in the literary sense. Outline the main conflict in "The Witch at Blackbird Pond," and use at least three examples that support your view of what the main conflict is.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)