|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judith announce as they are working to husk corn?
2. What does Prudence come to the courtroom to do?
3. What does John think when he hears that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
4. Whom does John tell Kit he is in love with?
5. Where does Prudence meet with Kit to learn to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
2. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
3. When does corn husking take place and what is done at a corn husking?
4. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
5. What news is brought to town by the militiamen?
6. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
7. Why does Rachel give Kit a tart to take to Hannah?
8. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
9. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
10. How do Prudence's parents view her and treat her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what a setting is in a novel. Please explain the purpose of the setting and what the overall setting is in this novel. Provide three examples of more specific settings that occur in pivotal moments of the novel. Explain why a setting is so important to the overall story.
Essay Topic 2
Please note who the main character is in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" and list at least four minor characters and their roles in the story. How do these characters contribute to the story? Why are they included?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain what the rising action is in a literary novel. Outline the rising action(s) found in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," and briefly explain what follows the rising action in a novel and what specifically follows the rising action in this story.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)