|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they lock Kit when she is arrested?
2. It is summer; what little anonymous gift has Kit been receiving?
3. How does Mr. Cruff respond when his daughter reads the Bible in front of the courtroom?
4. What does William's response to Kit's trial make her realize?
5. Where does Prudence meet with Kit to learn to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Kit taken when she is arrested and who comes to visit her?
2. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
3. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
4. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
5. How do Kit and Nat help Hannah stay safe as the mob of angry townspeople come for her?
6. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
7. Why do the townspeople come to arrest Kit and what "proof" do they claim to have to support their arrest?
8. What plan do Kit and Prudence undertake to teach Prudence to read?
9. Why does Rachel give Kit a tart to take to Hannah?
10. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define the literary terms plot and subplot. Explain the major differences and provide detailed examples of both from the novel. What is the purpose of the subplot(s) in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define the act of characterization in a novel and its importance. Please choose one character from the novel and explain how the author uses characterization in relation to this character.
Essay Topic 3
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)