|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Matthew react when he learns that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
2. What author does Kit discover Nat enjoys reading?
3. When do the settlers get together to husk the corn?
4. When Matthew initially hears of the townspeople trying to go after Hannah, how does he respond?
5. What animal do the townspeople think Hannah has turned herself into in order to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kit and Nat help Hannah stay safe as the mob of angry townspeople come for her?
2. How does Kit feel about fixing the roof with Nat?
3. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
4. What charges are brought against Kit at her trial? What is the punishment for these charges?
5. Where is Kit taken when she is arrested and who comes to visit her?
6. What news is brought to town by the militiamen?
7. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
8. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
9. Why does Rachel give Kit a tart to take to Hannah?
10. After the trial, what realizations do William and Kit come to regarding their potential marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast dating or courting in Kit's time with dating or courting today. How does Kit seem to enjoy the method of courting in her time? How would you feel about having to live by the courting rules of Colonial times?
Essay Topic 2
Intolerance is a major theme in this novel. Please explain what intolerance is, how intolerance is seen in this novel, what parties are involved in the intolerance, and what the main cause of the intolerance is. Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe Kit's first interaction with Hannah. What is Kit's initial reaction to Hannah? How does Kit's view and opinion of Hannah change in the course of their first meeting? Throughout the novel? Why?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)