|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the Woods' house to help with Mercy in Chapter 17?
2. What does Prudence come to the courtroom to do?
3. Why does Hannah not want to leave her home at first even though Kit tells her of the angry crowd?
4. What is Nat doing when Kit arrives at Hannah's in Chapter 12?
5. What does Nat insist on doing after dinner at Hannah's?
Essay Topic 1
Define narrative voice and the three most common types of narrative mode. What narrative mode is used in this novel? Please state whether or not you agree with the narrative mode the author uses in this novel and why.
Essay Topic 2
Please explain Kit's view of slavery and where her view comes from. Compare and contrast this with the Wethersfield view of slavery. Initially, how do you think Kit's view of slavery affects her view of hard manual labor? What is her view of doing work at the beginning of the book? How it is at the end?
Essay Topic 3
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)