|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Kit's cousins respond to her many fancy and colorful gowns?
2. What does Hannah do when she sees Kit crying in the Great Meadow?
3. Who is the only member of the Wood family not expected to attend prayer meeting?
4. What happens when Kit begins to help with the chores?
5. In chapter one, how do people seem to respond to Kit jumping in the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What special prayer does the revered make in the next prayer service and what is Kit's opinion of this?
2. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
3. Who is John Holbrook and what warning does he give to Kit Tyler while they are aboard the Dolphin?
4. What does Judith share about the person who lives in the little house near the marshy pond?
5. What causes a tense moment between Dr. Bulkeley and Matthew while they are dining together at the Woods' house after prayer meeting?
6. What story does Kit share with her relatives when she first arrives, telling them how she came to be penniless?
7. What is the reaction Kit receives when she jumps into the water to rescue the dropped doll?
8. Who in the community and in the Wood family is expected to go to prayer meeting?
9. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
10. How does Judith respond when Rachel suggests that she share her bed with Kit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe Kit's first interaction with Hannah. What is Kit's initial reaction to Hannah? How does Kit's view and opinion of Hannah change in the course of their first meeting? Throughout the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Please note who the main character is in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" and list at least four minor characters and their roles in the story. How do these characters contribute to the story? Why are they included?
Essay Topic 3
Please define a static and dynamic character. Provide on example of each type of character from "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," explaining why he or she is static or dynamic.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)