|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kit react to teaching the young children?
2. Where do Kit's father and mother meet?
3. How is Kit received when her aunt learns that she has come to live with them?
4. How do Kit's cousins respond to her many fancy and colorful gowns?
5. Why is Mercy crippled?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the journey up the river to Wethersfield, what observations does Kit make about some of her fellow passengers?
2. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
3. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
4. How does Judith respond when Rachel suggests that she share her bed with Kit?
5. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
6. Who is John Holbrook and what warning does he give to Kit Tyler while they are aboard the Dolphin?
7. What role does Kit think Mercy plays in the Wood household?
8. What is the reaction Kit receives when she jumps into the water to rescue the dropped doll?
9. Why are the schoolmaster and reverend upset when they come to the class to observe Mercy and Kit teaching?
10. What does Judith share about the person who lives in the little house near the marshy pond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the role that politics play in the story. What are the major political points brought up? Which characters hold strong political views? What views do they hold and why?
Essay Topic 2
Please compare and contrast dating or courting in Kit's time with dating or courting today. How does Kit seem to enjoy the method of courting in her time? How would you feel about having to live by the courting rules of Colonial times?
Essay Topic 3
Please define a static and dynamic character. Provide on example of each type of character from "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," explaining why he or she is static or dynamic.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)