|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William mention he is intending to build?
2. What group of people does Kit see at the port dressed in somber colors and styles?
3. Who comes to Kit's defense when Matthew gets angry about Kit's outfit?
4. What rumor is Mrs. Cruff spreading about Kit on their boat ride to Wethersfield?
5. Because the girls are busy trying on their new clothes, what is left undone?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the last chapter of the book, what exciting changes have happened for the Wood family?
2. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
3. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
4. In Chapter 6, what role is Andros playing in the Colonies?
5. How is her relatives' house in the Colony different than Kit's house in Barbados?
6. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
7. Why are the schoolmaster and reverend upset when they come to the class to observe Mercy and Kit teaching?
8. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
9. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
10. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the act of characterization in a novel and its importance. Please choose one character from the novel and explain how the author uses characterization in relation to this character.
Essay Topic 2
Define narrative voice and the three most common types of narrative mode. What narrative mode is used in this novel? Please state whether or not you agree with the narrative mode the author uses in this novel and why.
Essay Topic 3
Define what a setting is in a novel. Please explain the purpose of the setting and what the overall setting is in this novel. Provide three examples of more specific settings that occur in pivotal moments of the novel. Explain why a setting is so important to the overall story.
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)