|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news from the town selectmen does Mercy have for Kit when she returns home from the Great Meadow?
2. What day is prayer meeting held?
3. What decision does Mr. Kimberly make about closing the school?
4. How does Rachel respond when she hears about Kit spending time with Hannah?
5. In Chapter 7, what important responsibility has William recently been given?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the journey up the river to Wethersfield, what observations does Kit make about some of her fellow passengers?
2. How does the author describe Kit's relatives?
3. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
4. How do her cousins respond to Kit's inability to do chores?
5. Who in the community and in the Wood family is expected to go to prayer meeting?
6. What does Judith share about the person who lives in the little house near the marshy pond?
7. How is her relatives' house in the Colony different than Kit's house in Barbados?
8. What is the reaction Kit receives when she jumps into the water to rescue the dropped doll?
9. What different work activities does Kit try her hand at in Chapter 4 and how does she handle them?
10. How are Mercy and Kit's approaches to teaching the children different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define narrative voice and the three most common types of narrative mode. What narrative mode is used in this novel? Please state whether or not you agree with the narrative mode the author uses in this novel and why.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
Essay Topic 3
Define the act of characterization in a novel and its importance. Please choose one character from the novel and explain how the author uses characterization in relation to this character.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)