|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kit feel about her first prayer meeting?
2. Where is the school that Mercy teaches the young children?
3. What familiar person does Kit meet again at the Meeting House?
4. What news from the town selectmen does Mercy have for Kit when she returns home from the Great Meadow?
5. Whose reaction does Judith wonder about when they see her in the new clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. When they leave the morning prayer service, what news is Kit appalled to learn?
2. On the journey up the river to Wethersfield, what observations does Kit make about some of her fellow passengers?
3. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
4. What does Mercy tell Kit happened to Rachel's two sons?
5. How is her relatives' house in the Colony different than Kit's house in Barbados?
6. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
7. What happens when Kit first arrives in Wethersfield?
8. How is the town of Saybrook described?
9. What different work activities does Kit try her hand at in Chapter 4 and how does she handle them?
10. What does Judith share about the person who lives in the little house near the marshy pond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
Essay Topic 2
Please define the role of the "protagonist" and "antagonist" in a literary work. Describe one protagonist and one antagonist in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond." Note what makes them either the protagonist or antagonist, their relationship each other, and provide at least one clear example in which the protagonist and antagonist interact in a contentious situation.
Essay Topic 3
Define narrative voice and the three most common types of narrative mode. What narrative mode is used in this novel? Please state whether or not you agree with the narrative mode the author uses in this novel and why.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)