|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith tell Kit when the guests are gone?
2. How do the Puritans view play-acting?
3. What does Kit mention the Dolphin smells like?
4. Why are Kit and Judith sent out to the meadows?
5. What does the author note in Chapter 6 that is a touchy subject in Wethersfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What different work activities does Kit try her hand at in Chapter 4 and how does she handle them?
2. What does Mercy tell Kit happened to Rachel's two sons?
3. Who are the new people that Kit meets after prayer meeting?
4. Who in the community and in the Wood family is expected to go to prayer meeting?
5. What leisure activity is John shocked to discover Kit does and why is he shocked?
6. In Chapter 6, what role is Andros playing in the Colonies?
7. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
8. How does the author describe Kit's relatives?
9. How are Mercy and Kit's approaches to teaching the children different?
10. What does Judith share about the person who lives in the little house near the marshy pond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define the literary terms plot and subplot. Explain the major differences and provide detailed examples of both from the novel. What is the purpose of the subplot(s) in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is mentioned throughout the novel. Please explain why religion is such an important topic throughout the novel and the effect it has on the story and its characters. Please use specific examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast dating or courting in Kit's time with dating or courting today. How does Kit seem to enjoy the method of courting in her time? How would you feel about having to live by the courting rules of Colonial times?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)