|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John react when hearing that Kit can read and what she reads?
2. What is Kit's initial reaction to Wethersfield?
3. Who comes to Kit's defense when Matthew gets angry about Kit's outfit?
4. What warning does Matthew give Kit about living with them?
5. What is the name of the woman who has taken Kit under her wing on the Dolphin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
2. What role does Kit think Mercy plays in the Wood household?
3. How do Prudence's parents view her and treat her?
4. What special prayer does the revered make in the next prayer service and what is Kit's opinion of this?
5. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
6. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
7. What information does Judith share with Kit about the Great Meadow?
8. Who are the new people that Kit meets after prayer meeting?
9. How do Kit and Nat help Hannah stay safe as the mob of angry townspeople come for her?
10. Who in the community and in the Wood family is expected to go to prayer meeting?
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast dating or courting in Kit's time with dating or courting today. How does Kit seem to enjoy the method of courting in her time? How would you feel about having to live by the courting rules of Colonial times?
Essay Topic 2
Intolerance is a major theme in this novel. Please explain what intolerance is, how intolerance is seen in this novel, what parties are involved in the intolerance, and what the main cause of the intolerance is. Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Liberty is an important aspect of the colonists' lives. Please: 1) Explain why liberty is so highly valued by the colonists, 2) Give some examples of how the colonists see liberty in their daily lives, and 3) Name one major symbol of liberty that the colonists esteem.
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)