|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William ask Matthew in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 10, what does Kit tell Mr. Kimberly about the play-acting at the school?
3. How do Kit's cousins respond to her many fancy and colorful gowns?
4. What state seems to be taking longer accepting a governor appointed by the monarchy?
5. Why are Kit and Judith sent out to the meadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
2. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
3. How does Matthew react when he sees the dresses Kit has given his daughters?
4. When they leave the morning prayer service, what news is Kit appalled to learn?
5. What plan do Kit and Prudence undertake to teach Prudence to read?
6. Where is Kit taken when she is arrested and who comes to visit her?
7. How are Mercy and Kit's approaches to teaching the children different?
8. How does Kit feel about fixing the roof with Nat?
9. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
10. In Chapter 6, what role is Andros playing in the Colonies?
Essay Topic 1
Please define the literary terms plot and subplot. Explain the major differences and provide detailed examples of both from the novel. What is the purpose of the subplot(s) in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Please note who the main character is in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" and list at least four minor characters and their roles in the story. How do these characters contribute to the story? Why are they included?
Essay Topic 3
Define what a setting is in a novel. Please explain the purpose of the setting and what the overall setting is in this novel. Provide three examples of more specific settings that occur in pivotal moments of the novel. Explain why a setting is so important to the overall story.
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)