|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because the girls are busy trying on their new clothes, what is left undone?
2. What does Hannah do to raise some money to pay for taxes and fines?
3. How do Kit's cousins respond to her many fancy and colorful gowns?
4. What happens to Kit's grandfather that causes his death?
5. What does Mercy tell Kit about their life in Wethersfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes a tense moment between Dr. Bulkeley and Matthew while they are dining together at the Woods' house after prayer meeting?
2. In Chapter 6, what role is Andros playing in the Colonies?
3. What leisure activity is John shocked to discover Kit does and why is he shocked?
4. What role does Kit think Mercy plays in the Wood household?
5. How does Kit feel when William Ashby comes to court her?
6. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
7. How are Mercy and Kit's approaches to teaching the children different?
8. Why are the schoolmaster and reverend upset when they come to the class to observe Mercy and Kit teaching?
9. What do the inspectors do after they are angered by what they see at the dame school?
10. What does Mercy tell Kit happened to Rachel's two sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what makes a "coming-of-age" story. Does Kit's role in this novel fit the definition? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Please define a static and dynamic character. Provide on example of each type of character from "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," explaining why he or she is static or dynamic.
Essay Topic 3
Liberty is an important aspect of the colonists' lives. Please: 1) Explain why liberty is so highly valued by the colonists, 2) Give some examples of how the colonists see liberty in their daily lives, and 3) Name one major symbol of liberty that the colonists esteem.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)