|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the overseer of Kit's grandfather's plantation do?
2. How do Kit's cousins respond to her many fancy and colorful gowns?
3. Who is the monarch of England at the time Kit moves to the colonies?
4. How does Judith describe Hannah Tupper?
5. Whose reaction does Judith wonder about when they see her in the new clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nat first meet Hannah?
2. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
3. Why are the schoolmaster and reverend upset when they come to the class to observe Mercy and Kit teaching?
4. What different work activities does Kit try her hand at in Chapter 4 and how does she handle them?
5. What leisure activity is John shocked to discover Kit does and why is he shocked?
6. What information does Judith share with Kit about the Great Meadow?
7. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
8. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
9. What special prayer does the revered make in the next prayer service and what is Kit's opinion of this?
10. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define a static and dynamic character. Provide on example of each type of character from "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," explaining why he or she is static or dynamic.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
Essay Topic 3
Please define the literary terms plot and subplot. Explain the major differences and provide detailed examples of both from the novel. What is the purpose of the subplot(s) in this novel?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)