Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Hannah and her husband not allowed to stay in town when they arrived in Connecticut?
2. What does William think about the new governor of the Colonies appointed by the King?
3. What does Mercy tell Kit about their life in Wethersfield?
4. What story does Kit have the students act out?
5. How does Rachel respond when she hears about Kit spending time with Hannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what role is Andros playing in the Colonies?
2. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
3. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
4. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
5. What role does Kit think Mercy plays in the Wood household?
6. How do Prudence's parents view her and treat her?
7. What does Mercy tell Kit happened to Rachel's two sons?
8. When Nat comes back to dock in May, what does he tell Kit?
9. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
10. What causes a tense moment between Dr. Bulkeley and Matthew while they are dining together at the Woods' house after prayer meeting?
Essay Topic 1
Please define the literary terms plot and subplot. Explain the major differences and provide detailed examples of both from the novel. What is the purpose of the subplot(s) in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain what the rising action is in a literary novel. Outline the rising action(s) found in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond," and briefly explain what follows the rising action in a novel and what specifically follows the rising action in this story.
Essay Topic 3
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)