|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only member of the Wood family not expected to attend prayer meeting?
2. How does Kit feel when the reverend says a prayer for Mercy and her affliction?
3. Who comes to Kit's defense when Matthew gets angry about Kit's outfit?
4. Whom does Judith declare she is going to marry?
5. What decision does Mr. Kimberly make about closing the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the town of Saybrook described?
2. What information does Judith share with Kit about the Great Meadow?
3. What is Matthew's opinion and fear about the coming of the new governor to the Colonies?
4. In Chapter 6, what role is Andros playing in the Colonies?
5. What is the reaction Kit receives when she jumps into the water to rescue the dropped doll?
6. What does Judith share about the person who lives in the little house near the marshy pond?
7. What happens when Kit first arrives in Wethersfield?
8. How does Kit feel when William Ashby comes to court her?
9. How does Judith respond when Rachel suggests that she share her bed with Kit?
10. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what makes a "coming-of-age" story. Does Kit's role in this novel fit the definition? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Intolerance is a major theme in this novel. Please explain what intolerance is, how intolerance is seen in this novel, what parties are involved in the intolerance, and what the main cause of the intolerance is. Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Please define the role of the "protagonist" and "antagonist" in a literary work. Describe one protagonist and one antagonist in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond." Note what makes them either the protagonist or antagonist, their relationship each other, and provide at least one clear example in which the protagonist and antagonist interact in a contentious situation.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)