|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter one, how do people seem to respond to Kit jumping in the water?
2. What keeps Matthew Wood from having a larger plot in the meadow?
3. What does the overseer of Kit's grandfather's plantation do?
4. How do the Puritans view play-acting?
5. What are two sentiments that are deeply ingrained in the Colonies?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the last chapter of the book, what exciting changes have happened for the Wood family?
2. How are Mercy and Kit's approaches to teaching the children different?
3. When does corn husking take place and what is done at a corn husking?
4. What different work activities does Kit try her hand at in Chapter 4 and how does she handle them?
5. How does Kit feel about fixing the roof with Nat?
6. What do the inspectors do after they are angered by what they see at the dame school?
7. What does Prudence do and say in Kit's favor during her trial?
8. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
9. When Nat comes back to dock in May, what does he tell Kit?
10. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe Kit's first interaction with Hannah. What is Kit's initial reaction to Hannah? How does Kit's view and opinion of Hannah change in the course of their first meeting? Throughout the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Please note who the main character is in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" and list at least four minor characters and their roles in the story. How do these characters contribute to the story? Why are they included?
Essay Topic 3
Intolerance is a major theme in this novel. Please explain what intolerance is, how intolerance is seen in this novel, what parties are involved in the intolerance, and what the main cause of the intolerance is. Provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)