|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor is Mrs. Cruff spreading about Kit on their boat ride to Wethersfield?
2. What hurtful thing does Judith say about her cousin her first night there?
3. Where does Hannah live?
4. When William first comes to court Kit, what do they do?
5. What do the schoolmaster and the reverend do when they come into the class and see the children playing make-believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
2. How does the author describe Kit's relatives?
3. How does Matthew react when he sees the dresses Kit has given his daughters?
4. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
5. How does Rachel respond when she learns that Kit is spending time with Hannah?
6. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
7. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
8. Who are the Cruffs?
9. What story does Kit share with her relatives when she first arrives, telling them how she came to be penniless?
10. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the process that Kit goes through in adapting to her new life in Wethersfield. Give a general overview of her adjustment to the life there, from her arrival to the final chapter in the novel. What are some ways Kit is successful in adjusting to Wethersfield? What are some ways Kit is unsuccessful or unwilling to adapt?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe Kit's first interaction with Hannah. What is Kit's initial reaction to Hannah? How does Kit's view and opinion of Hannah change in the course of their first meeting? Throughout the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast dating or courting in Kit's time with dating or courting today. How does Kit seem to enjoy the method of courting in her time? How would you feel about having to live by the courting rules of Colonial times?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)