|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Kit how to read?
2. What rumor is Mrs. Cruff spreading about Kit on their boat ride to Wethersfield?
3. What does the author note in Chapter 6 that is a touchy subject in Wethersfield?
4. How many days does it take the boat to make its way up the river to Wethersfield?
5. What is the name of the port where Kit first goes ashore on her way to Wethersfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Kit share with her relatives when she first arrives, telling them how she came to be penniless?
2. How does Nat first meet Hannah?
3. How is the town of Saybrook described?
4. Describe Hannah's first interaction with Kit.
5. What is Matthew's opinion and fear about the coming of the new governor to the Colonies?
6. Why are the schoolmaster and reverend upset when they come to the class to observe Mercy and Kit teaching?
7. How is her relatives' house in the Colony different than Kit's house in Barbados?
8. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
9. What leisure activity is John shocked to discover Kit does and why is he shocked?
10. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in the Colonies involved a lot of work. Please give some examples from the text that show the role of women. Compare and contrast the ways Kit adapts to this and her ability to do the work required to Judith and her ability.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what scapegoats are and what purpose they serve. Who becomes a scapegoat in this novel? What circumstances lead to them becoming a scapegoat and who is making them a scapegoat?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe Kit's first interaction with Hannah. What is Kit's initial reaction to Hannah? How does Kit's view and opinion of Hannah change in the course of their first meeting? Throughout the novel? Why?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)