|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William mention he is intending to build?
2. What state seems to be taking longer accepting a governor appointed by the monarchy?
3. What is the name of Hannah's husband?
4. What is the name of the port where Kit first goes ashore on her way to Wethersfield?
5. What is Kit surprised to hear when they are leaving her first prayer meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leisure activity is John shocked to discover Kit does and why is he shocked?
2. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
3. Who is John Holbrook and what warning does he give to Kit Tyler while they are aboard the Dolphin?
4. Who are the Cruffs?
5. How does Rachel respond when she learns that Kit is spending time with Hannah?
6. How are Mercy and Kit's approaches to teaching the children different?
7. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
8. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
9. Describe Hannah's first interaction with Kit.
10. What does Judith share about the person who lives in the little house near the marshy pond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what makes a "coming-of-age" story. Does Kit's role in this novel fit the definition? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe Kit's first interaction with Hannah. What is Kit's initial reaction to Hannah? How does Kit's view and opinion of Hannah change in the course of their first meeting? Throughout the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Define the act of characterization in a novel and its importance. Please choose one character from the novel and explain how the author uses characterization in relation to this character.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)