|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, who comes and interrupts Kit's time with William?
2. In chapter one, how do people seem to respond to Kit jumping in the water?
3. Where is Kit traveling from on the Dolphin?
4. When William first comes to court Kit, what do they do?
5. What rumor is Mrs. Cruff spreading about Kit on their boat ride to Wethersfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
2. On the journey up the river to Wethersfield, what observations does Kit make about some of her fellow passengers?
3. How does Matthew react when he sees the dresses Kit has given his daughters?
4. How does Rachel respond when she learns that Kit is spending time with Hannah?
5. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
6. How does Kit feel when William Ashby comes to court her?
7. How is her relatives' house in the Colony different than Kit's house in Barbados?
8. What is Matthew's opinion and fear about the coming of the new governor to the Colonies?
9. How do her cousins respond to Kit's inability to do chores?
10. How does Judith respond when Rachel suggests that she share her bed with Kit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the act of characterization in a novel and its importance. Please choose one character from the novel and explain how the author uses characterization in relation to this character.
Essay Topic 2
Define narrative voice and the three most common types of narrative mode. What narrative mode is used in this novel? Please state whether or not you agree with the narrative mode the author uses in this novel and why.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the process that Kit goes through in adapting to her new life in Wethersfield. Give a general overview of her adjustment to the life there, from her arrival to the final chapter in the novel. What are some ways Kit is successful in adjusting to Wethersfield? What are some ways Kit is unsuccessful or unwilling to adapt?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)