|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two sentiments that are deeply ingrained in the Colonies?
2. What does William ask Matthew in Chapter 6?
3. Hannah is kind to Kit. What does she do that shows Kit kindness?
4. Who is named by England as governor of the Colonies?
5. Who comes to Kit's defense when Matthew gets angry about Kit's outfit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the inspectors do after they are angered by what they see at the dame school?
2. What happens when Kit first arrives in Wethersfield?
3. What leisure activity is John shocked to discover Kit does and why is he shocked?
4. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
5. How does Matthew react when he sees the dresses Kit has given his daughters?
6. Who in the community and in the Wood family is expected to go to prayer meeting?
7. What is the reaction Kit receives when she jumps into the water to rescue the dropped doll?
8. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
9. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
10. How does the author describe Kit's relatives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Intolerance is a major theme in this novel. Please explain what intolerance is, how intolerance is seen in this novel, what parties are involved in the intolerance, and what the main cause of the intolerance is. Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Define narrative voice and the three most common types of narrative mode. What narrative mode is used in this novel? Please state whether or not you agree with the narrative mode the author uses in this novel and why.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the process that Kit goes through in adapting to her new life in Wethersfield. Give a general overview of her adjustment to the life there, from her arrival to the final chapter in the novel. What are some ways Kit is successful in adjusting to Wethersfield? What are some ways Kit is unsuccessful or unwilling to adapt?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)