|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kit arrives at her aunt's house, what disturbing news does she hear about John Holbrook?
(a) He has started working for the new governor.
(b) He has joined the militia to fight the Indians.
(c) He has given up school to be a sailor.
(d) He has decided that he too loves Kit.
2. Not long after John's departure, what happens to Judith?
(a) She realizes that she is in love with someone else.
(b) She comes down with fever.
(c) She states that she does not want to live in the Colony anymore.
(d) She decides to become a nun.
3. What crimes is Kit charged with at her trial?
(a) Bringing fever down on the children.
(b) Dealing with Satan.
(c) Playing make-believe with children.
(d) Helping a witch escape.
4. Who comes to visit Kit when she is locked away as a prisoner?
(a) Her aunt Rachel.
(c) William Ashby.
5. How does Kit's trial end?
(a) She is sentenced to the stocks.
(b) She is acquitted of all charges.
(c) She is officially labeled a witch.
(d) She is warmly apologized to by Mrs. Cruff and the community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes in Prudence does the reader see in Chapter 16?
2. How does the first snowfall of winter affect Kit?
3. When do the settlers get together to husk the corn?
4. Where does Nat think to take Hannah to keep her safe?
5. How do Prudence and Hannah respond to each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rachel give Kit a tart to take to Hannah?
2. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
3. What plan do Kit and Prudence undertake to teach Prudence to read?
4. What news is brought to town by the militiamen?
5. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
6. What does Prudence do and say in Kit's favor during her trial?
7. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
8. How does Kit feel about fixing the roof with Nat?
9. What charges are brought against Kit at her trial? What is the punishment for these charges?
10. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)