|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the thin, bedraggled man who suddenly shows up at the Woods' door one winter night?
(c) Mr. Kimberley.
2. Why does Prudence's mother think of her?
(a) That she can learn if she tries and works hard.
(b) That she can do anything she puts her mind to.
(c) That she is the smartest girl.
(d) That she is too stupid to learn to read.
3. What crimes is Kit charged with at her trial?
(a) Playing make-believe with children.
(b) Helping a witch escape.
(c) Dealing with Satan.
(d) Bringing fever down on the children.
4. Not long after John's departure, what happens to Judith?
(a) She realizes that she is in love with someone else.
(b) She comes down with fever.
(c) She states that she does not want to live in the Colony anymore.
(d) She decides to become a nun.
5. What changes in Prudence does the reader see in Chapter 16?
(a) She is very sick.
(b) She is now a happy and confident girl.
(c) She has grown very tall.
(d) There really are no changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is governor of the Connecticut Colony by Chapter 15?
2. What "proof" about Kit is found at Hannah's house?
3. When Matthew initially hears of the townspeople trying to go after Hannah, how does he respond?
4. What about autumn enchants Kit?
5. How does Matthew react when he learns that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news is brought to town by the militiamen?
2. When does corn husking take place and what is done at a corn husking?
3. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
4. How do Kit and Nat help Hannah stay safe as the mob of angry townspeople come for her?
5. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
6. Why do the townspeople come to arrest Kit and what "proof" do they claim to have to support their arrest?
7. How does Kit feel about fixing the roof with Nat?
8. Why does Rachel give Kit a tart to take to Hannah?
9. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
10. What does Prudence do and say in Kit's favor during her trial?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)