|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the thin, bedraggled man who suddenly shows up at the Woods' door one winter night?
(a) Mr. Kimberley.
2. What does John think when he hears that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
(a) He disapproves but thinks Hannah is a good person.
(b) He confesses that he has been visiting her too.
(c) He congratulates her on being so kind.
(d) He disapproves and thinks Hannah is a witch.
3. Not long after John's departure, what happens to Judith?
(a) She decides to become a nun.
(b) She comes down with fever.
(c) She states that she does not want to live in the Colony anymore.
(d) She realizes that she is in love with someone else.
4. What about autumn enchants Kit?
(a) The leaves falling.
(b) The many changing colors.
(c) The coming holidays.
(d) The thoughts of snow coming soon.
5. Who comes to the Woods' house to help with Mercy in Chapter 17?
(a) John Holbrook.
(b) The governor.
(c) Dr. Bulkeley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crimes is Kit charged with at her trial?
2. What does William's response to Kit's trial make her realize?
3. How does Mr. Cruff respond when his daughter reads the Bible in front of the courtroom?
4. What "proof" about Kit is found at Hannah's house?
5. What cargo is Nat's ship carrying in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
2. After the trial, what realizations do William and Kit come to regarding their potential marriage?
3. What charges are brought against Kit at her trial? What is the punishment for these charges?
4. When does corn husking take place and what is done at a corn husking?
5. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
6. Where is Kit taken when she is arrested and who comes to visit her?
7. Why do the townspeople come to arrest Kit and what "proof" do they claim to have to support their arrest?
8. What plan do Kit and Prudence undertake to teach Prudence to read?
9. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
10. What decisions does Governor Andros come to in Chapter 15 regarding land? What are the settlers' feelings about this?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)