|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to the Woods' house to help with Mercy in Chapter 17?
(a) Dr. Bulkeley.
(c) John Holbrook.
(d) The governor.
2. Why does Hannah not want to leave her home at first even though Kit tells her of the angry crowd?
(a) Because she is afraid of being far away from her house.
(b) Because she has nowhere to go.
(c) Because she does not believe Kit at first.
(d) Because Quakers do not run.
3. What changes in Prudence does the reader see in Chapter 16?
(a) She is now a happy and confident girl.
(b) She has grown very tall.
(c) There really are no changes.
(d) She is very sick.
4. Why do the townspeople come to Matthew's door saying they are going to get Hannah?
(a) Because they think she has caused the fever.
(b) Because they need someone to pick on.
(c) Because they think she is in league with the enemy.
(d) Because they saw her being a witch.
5. What does Judith announce as they are working to husk corn?
(a) That she never wants to marry.
(b) That she is in love with Nat.
(c) That she is going to make John propose.
(d) That she is in love with William.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Kit notice as John Holbrook reads aloud to the group in the Woods' house?
2. How does Nat speak to Kit when the Dolphin returns to Wethersfield?
3. What do some rowdy sailors put in the windows of the house William is building?
4. What is Kit's response when William proposes?
5. What cargo is Nat's ship carrying in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Judith soon after John's departure for the militia? What then happens to Mercy and many others in town?
2. Instead of going to the husking bee, what does John want to do and what is Judith's response to this?
3. How does Matthew feel when he hears that Andros is now governor of Connecticut?
4. How do Kit and Nat help Hannah stay safe as the mob of angry townspeople come for her?
5. What charges are brought against Kit at her trial? What is the punishment for these charges?
6. While at Hannah's house delivering her gift from Nat, what does Kit notice about Prudence and what does she decide to do for the girl?
7. What disturbance happens in Wethersfield on the night of All Hallows Eve?
8. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
9. When Kit goes to the Dolphin to see Nat , what item does he ask her to take to Hannah and why can't he do it?
10. How does Kit feel about fixing the roof with Nat?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)