|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mercy tell Kit about their life in Wethersfield?
(a) That life is easy.
(b) That life is very hard for them.
(c) That life has its ups and downs.
(d) She tells Kit not to worry about anything.
2. What additional gift does Kit convince Judith to take with the clothes she has already given her?
(a) A bonnet.
(b) A satchel.
(c) Some shoes.
(d) Some stockings.
3. What does the overseer of Kit's grandfather's plantation do?
(a) He increases the plantation's wealth.
(b) He helps Kit when her grandfather dies.
(c) He helps Kit move to her aunt's.
(d) He embezzles from her grandfather and runs off.
4. What happens to Kit's grandfather that causes his death?
(a) He becomes ill.
(b) He is wounded in a farming accident.
(c) Someone poisons him.
(d) He drowns while swimming in the ocean.
5. Where is Kit to sleep her first night in the Colony?
(a) In Judith's bed.
(b) On the floor.
(c) In the barn.
(d) In Mercy's bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Matthew Wood from having a larger plot in the meadow?
2. How do the Puritans view play-acting?
3. What does William ask Matthew in Chapter 6?
4. Whom does Kit seem to have made quite an impression on and is introduced to after the service?
5. Who raises Kit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Judith respond when Rachel suggests that she share her bed with Kit?
2. What story does Kit share with her relatives when she first arrives, telling them how she came to be penniless?
3. In Chapter 6, what role is Andros playing in the Colonies?
4. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
5. What do the inspectors do after they are angered by what they see at the dame school?
6. How does Matthew react when he sees the dresses Kit has given his daughters?
7. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
8. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
9. What role does Kit think Mercy plays in the Wood household?
10. What is William's initial opinion of the king's appointed governor coming to the Colonies?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)