|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hannah do to raise some money to pay for taxes and fines?
(a) She spins flax for some of the townspeople.
(b) She sells bread.
(c) She knits socks and blankets.
(d) She sells vegetables.
2. What does William think about the new governor of the Colonies appointed by the King?
(a) He has no opinion and does not like talking about politics.
(b) He thinks the colonies should be left alone by England.
(c) He despises the governor but thinks another one would be good.
(d) He thinks the colonies should accept the governor.
3. How does John Holbrook view reading?
(a) Reading is for pleasure and work.
(b) Reading is work, not for pleasure.
(c) Reading is completely pointless.
(d) Reading is purely for pleasure.
4. How does John react when hearing that Kit can read and what she reads?
(a) He is surprised and shocked.
(b) He is excited and encouraging.
(c) He is indifferent.
(d) He is impressed.
5. What does Kit mention the Dolphin smells like?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose reaction does Judith wonder about when they see her in the new clothes?
2. When Kit arrives in Wethersfield, who is there to meet her?
3. How does Rachel respond when she hears about Kit spending time with Hannah?
4. What is the name of the port where Kit first goes ashore on her way to Wethersfield?
5. What are two sentiments that are deeply ingrained in the Colonies?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
2. Why are the schoolmaster and reverend upset when they come to the class to observe Mercy and Kit teaching?
3. What happens when Kit first arrives in Wethersfield?
4. What role does Kit think Mercy plays in the Wood household?
5. How is her relatives' house in the Colony different than Kit's house in Barbados?
6. How does Judith respond when Rachel suggests that she share her bed with Kit?
7. Who are the new people that Kit meets after prayer meeting?
8. How do her cousins respond to Kit's inability to do chores?
9. How does Nat treat Kit when the Dolphin comes back to dock in the autumn and why does he do this?
10. Who is John Holbrook and what warning does he give to Kit Tyler while they are aboard the Dolphin?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)