|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Mr. Kimberly make about closing the school?
(a) It can stay open.
(b) It must close.
(c) It can stay open but Kit cannot teach anymore.
(d) It can stay open but neither girl can teach anymore.
2. Why is Mercy crippled?
(a) No one knows why.
(b) Because of a fever as a child.
(c) She was born that way.
(d) Because of a fall from a horse.
3. When Kit's grandfather dies, who is her only living relative left?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her aunt.
4. What about Hannah's physical appearance seems to frighten Kit?
(a) Her crooked nose.
(b) The nasty scar on her forehead.
(c) Her scraggly hair.
(d) Her toothless smile.
5. Who teaches Kit how to read?
(a) Her maidservant.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Kit?
2. Who arrives while Kit is visiting Hannah in Chapter 10?
3. What item does Prudence accidentally drop in the water?
4. Who is the only member of the Wood family not expected to attend prayer meeting?
5. Who hands out new concessions of land grants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the inspectors do after they are angered by what they see at the dame school?
2. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
3. On the journey up the river to Wethersfield, what observations does Kit make about some of her fellow passengers?
4. How does Rachel respond when she learns that Kit is spending time with Hannah?
5. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
6. When they leave the morning prayer service, what news is Kit appalled to learn?
7. What information does Judith share with Kit about the Great Meadow?
8. Why are the schoolmaster and reverend upset when they come to the class to observe Mercy and Kit teaching?
9. What different work activities does Kit try her hand at in Chapter 4 and how does she handle them?
10. Who in the community and in the Wood family is expected to go to prayer meeting?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)