|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opinion does Dr. Bulkeley mention that upsets Matthew?
(a) His compliments about Kit's dress.
(b) His approval of the Royalists.
(c) His enjoyment of reading for pleasure.
(d) His support of slavery.
2. What does Hannah do to raise some money to pay for taxes and fines?
(a) She sells bread.
(b) She spins flax for some of the townspeople.
(c) She knits socks and blankets.
(d) She sells vegetables.
3. What does William ask Matthew in Chapter 6?
(a) For permission to court Judith.
(b) For a place to stay.
(c) For a job.
(d) For permission to court Kit.
4. How does John Holbrook view reading?
(a) Reading is work, not for pleasure.
(b) Reading is purely for pleasure.
(c) Reading is completely pointless.
(d) Reading is for pleasure and work.
5. In Chapter 10, what does Kit tell Mr. Kimberly about the play-acting at the school?
(a) Kit explains that she knows that play-acting is bad and is sorry.
(b) Kit explains that she is new and did not know.
(c) Kit tells him she will not abide by the rules.
(d) Kit tells him that the children should be allowed to play-act.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what important responsibility has William recently been given?
2. In Chapter 7, who comes and interrupts Kit's time with William?
3. What group of people does Kit see at the port dressed in somber colors and styles?
4. What is the name of Hannah's husband?
5. How does Kit describe her Aunt's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is her relatives' house in the Colony different than Kit's house in Barbados?
2. How does Kit feel about being out in the sun as she heads to the Great Meadow?
3. In Chapter 6, what role is Andros playing in the Colonies?
4. What story does Kit share with her relatives when she first arrives, telling them how she came to be penniless?
5. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
6. What role does Kit think Mercy plays in the Wood household?
7. How is the town of Saybrook described?
8. What different work activities does Kit try her hand at in Chapter 4 and how does she handle them?
9. How do her cousins respond to Kit's inability to do chores?
10. Who in the community and in the Wood family is expected to go to prayer meeting?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)