|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Matthew Wood from having a larger plot in the meadow?
(a) He does not want a larger plot.
(b) He considers having a larger plot to be greedy.
(c) He does not have anyone to help him with the land.
(d) He is not allowed to have a larger plot.
2. Because the girls are busy trying on their new clothes, what is left undone?
(c) Going to town.
(d) Household chores.
3. Which king gives the charter to the colonists?
(a) King Edward VI.
(b) King Henry XI.
(c) King Charles.
(d) King James.
4. What group of people does Kit see at the port dressed in somber colors and styles?
5. What news from the town selectmen does Mercy have for Kit when she returns home from the Great Meadow?
(a) Kit must throw away all her fine clothes from Barbados.
(b) Kit is no longer allowed to read for fun.
(c) Kit must be baptized soon.
(d) Kit can help Mercy teach the young children lettering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Until moving to the colonies, what role does religion play in Kit's life?
2. Whom does Judith declare she is going to marry?
3. What familiar person does Kit meet again at the Meeting House?
4. Where is Kit traveling from on the Dolphin?
5. What happens when Kit begins to help with the chores?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Kit's relatives?
2. What happens when Kit first arrives in Wethersfield?
3. Why are the schoolmaster and reverend upset when they come to the class to observe Mercy and Kit teaching?
4. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
5. What special prayer does the revered make in the next prayer service and what is Kit's opinion of this?
6. Describe Hannah's first interaction with Kit.
7. What does Mercy tell Kit happened to Rachel's two sons?
8. What story does Kit share with her relatives when she first arrives, telling them how she came to be penniless?
9. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
10. Who are the new people that Kit meets after prayer meeting?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)