|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nat view slavery?
(a) He is not sure how he feels about it.
(b) He could care less either way.
(c) He believes it is good and right.
(d) He is vehemently against it.
2. What happens to Rachel's first son?
(a) He dies of fever.
(b) He gets lost in the nearby forest.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He drowns in the marshy pond.
3. How is Kit received when her aunt learns that she has come to live with them?
(a) Kit is not well-received.
(b) Her aunt knew she was coming.
(c) Her aunt is very excited.
(d) Kit is told to leave immediately.
4. What does William ask Matthew in Chapter 6?
(a) For permission to court Kit.
(b) For a place to stay.
(c) For permission to court Judith.
(d) For a job.
5. After Kit's grandfather dies, what happens to the plantation and Kit's wealth?
(a) It is given to the first male heir.
(b) She has to sell it all to pay her grandfather's debts.
(c) It all burns in an accidental fire.
(d) Nothing. She still owns it all but does not want to live alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kit feel about her first prayer meeting?
2. Where is Kit to sleep her first night in the Colony?
3. Which of the following best describes the Great Meadow?
4. When Kit's grandfather dies, who is her only living relative left?
5. What is the name of Hannah's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
2. How does Kit feel when William Ashby comes to court her?
3. How is her relatives' house in the Colony different than Kit's house in Barbados?
4. In Chapter 2, what information does the reader learn about Kit's parents?
5. Why are the schoolmaster and reverend upset when they come to the class to observe Mercy and Kit teaching?
6. How is the town of Saybrook described?
7. How does Nat first meet Hannah?
8. Who in the community and in the Wood family is expected to go to prayer meeting?
9. When the guests leave in Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith share with Kit and how does this make her feel?
10. How does Judith respond when Rachel suggests that she share her bed with Kit?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)