|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Puritans view play-acting?
(a) They think it is necessary.
(b) They consider it great fun.
(c) They consider it sinful.
(d) They see it as silly.
2. What about Hannah's physical appearance seems to frighten Kit?
(a) Her scraggly hair.
(b) Her crooked nose.
(c) The nasty scar on her forehead.
(d) Her toothless smile.
3. Where do Kit's father and mother meet?
(a) In Jamaica.
(b) In Barbados.
(c) In the Colony.
(d) In England.
4. Why does Kit jump off the boat and into the water in Chapter 1?
(a) To retrieve what Prudence had dropped.
(b) Because it is very hot.
(c) Because the ship is sinking and everyone has to.
(d) To save someone's life.
5. What is Kit surprised to hear when they are leaving her first prayer meeting?
(a) That the meetings are only once a month.
(b) That she never has to go again.
(c) That she must go every single day.
(d) That they will be returning later for a second meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nat view slavery?
2. Whose reaction does Judith wonder about when they see her in the new clothes?
3. How many young children are in Mercy's class?
4. Until moving to the colonies, what role does religion play in Kit's life?
5. Why does no one live in the Great Meadow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is her relatives' house in the Colony different than Kit's house in Barbados?
2. What causes a tense moment between Dr. Bulkeley and Matthew while they are dining together at the Woods' house after prayer meeting?
3. On the journey up the river to Wethersfield, what observations does Kit make about some of her fellow passengers?
4. What leisure activity is John shocked to discover Kit does and why is he shocked?
5. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
6. What special prayer does the revered make in the next prayer service and what is Kit's opinion of this?
7. How does Kit's aunt receive her niece?
8. What story does Kit share with her relatives when she first arrives, telling them how she came to be penniless?
9. How does Judith respond when Rachel suggests that she share her bed with Kit?
10. How does Kit feel about being out in the sun as she heads to the Great Meadow?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)