|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter one, how do people seem to respond to Kit jumping in the water?
(a) They find it admirable.
(b) They they are concerned for her safety.
(c) They are annoyed.
(d) They think it is funny.
2. What does Kit think of the fields of the Great Meadow?
(a) That they smell.
(b) That they are beautiful.
(c) That there are too many bugs.
(d) That they are very plain.
3. In Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith tell Kit when the guests are gone?
(a) That they do not want her to marry William.
(b) That William is preparing for marriage.
(c) That they like John more than William.
(d) That they think William does not really like her anymore.
4. How many days does it take the boat to make its way up the river to Wethersfield?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 8 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 9 days.
5. What do the schoolmaster and the reverend do when they come into the class and see the children playing make-believe?
(a) They do nothing and sit in silence.
(b) They clap and encourage the students.
(c) They dismiss Kit as a teacher.
(d) They scold the class and the teachers and leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Kit's grandfather that causes his death?
2. How does Nat view slavery?
3. What does Kit tend to do at the end of each class?
4. Whom does Judith declare she is going to marry?
5. What warning does Matthew give Kit about living with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Kit think Mercy plays in the Wood household?
2. What does Mercy tell Kit happened to Rachel's two sons?
3. How does Rachel respond when she learns that Kit is spending time with Hannah?
4. How is the town of Saybrook described?
5. What leisure activity is John shocked to discover Kit does and why is he shocked?
6. What special prayer does the revered make in the next prayer service and what is Kit's opinion of this?
7. What causes a tense moment between Dr. Bulkeley and Matthew while they are dining together at the Woods' house after prayer meeting?
8. Who in the community and in the Wood family is expected to go to prayer meeting?
9. How does Rachel defend her niece's prayer-meeting attire to Matthew?
10. How are Mercy and Kit's approaches to teaching the children different?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)