|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Prudence's mother think of her?
(a) That she is too stupid to learn to read.
(b) That she is the smartest girl.
(c) That she can do anything she puts her mind to.
(d) That she can learn if she tries and works hard.
2. When Matthew initially hears of the townspeople trying to go after Hannah, how does he respond?
(a) He tries to dissuade them.
(b) He tells them to do what they think is best, but he will not join.
(c) He is too worried about his daughter to care.
(d) He decides to join them.
3. When the Dolphin is back in port, what does Nat bring back for Hannah?
(a) Some cloth.
(c) A new basket.
(d) A puppy.
4. With the coming of winter, what is Kit's emotional state?
(a) She is angry and snippy.
(b) She is lonely and depressed.
(c) She is mellow.
(d) She is happy and excited.
5. What animal do the townspeople think Hannah has turned herself into in order to escape?
(a) A crow.
(b) A snake.
(c) A spider.
(d) A rat.
6. What cargo is Nat's ship carrying in Chapter 14?
(c) English glass.
7. What author does Kit discover Nat enjoys reading?
8. It is summer; what little anonymous gift has Kit been receiving?
(a) Paper dolls.
(c) Pretty pebbles.
9. Who comes to the Woods' house to help with Mercy in Chapter 17?
(b) The governor.
(c) Dr. Bulkeley.
(d) John Holbrook.
10. What "proof" about Kit is found at Hannah's house?
(a) Her notebook.
(b) Her picture.
(c) Her Bible.
(d) Her handkerchief.
11. How does Nat speak to Kit when the Dolphin returns to Wethersfield?
(a) He is very friendly.
(b) He is rather silly and joking.
(c) He speaks to her sarcastically.
(d) He speaks to her in a loving manner.
12. What changes in Prudence does the reader see in Chapter 16?
(a) She has grown very tall.
(b) She is very sick.
(c) She is now a happy and confident girl.
(d) There really are no changes.
13. How does Kit's trial end?
(a) She is officially labeled a witch.
(b) She is acquitted of all charges.
(c) She is warmly apologized to by Mrs. Cruff and the community.
(d) She is sentenced to the stocks.
14. How does the first snowfall of winter affect Kit?
(a) She thinks it makes everything ugly.
(b) She is fascinated by it.
(c) It makes her sad.
(d) It makes her angry that she lives in the snow.
15. What does Kit confide to Hannah when she brings her Nat's gift?
(a) She tells Hannah that she is thinking of going to England.
(b) She tells Hannah that she might want to be a Quaker.
(c) She tells Hannah that Nat is in trouble.
(d) She tells Hannah she is not sure about William's proposal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are those individuals called who are against the rule of the king in the colonies?
2. Who comes to visit Kit when she is locked away as a prisoner?
3. What is Nat doing when Kit arrives at Hannah's in Chapter 12?
4. How does Mr. Cruff respond when his daughter reads the Bible in front of the courtroom?
5. What does William's response to Kit's trial make her realize?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)