|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do they lock Kit when she is arrested?
(a) In the basement of the Meeting House.
(b) In the stocks in the center of town.
(c) In a shed at the constable's house.
(d) In a cell at the local jailhouse.
2. What does the act of hiding the charter mean to the king?
(a) It is an act of serious insubordination.
(b) The king does not consider it anything worth worrying about.
(c) It is initially disrespectful to the king but nothing more.
(d) It is an act showing support for the king.
3. Who is left out again from the corn-husking festivities?
4. How does Matthew react when he learns that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
(a) He is angry but eventually understands.
(b) He is indifferent and does not really care.
(c) He is happy that she has been visiting her.
(d) He is angry and forbids her from ever going again.
5. Where do Kit and Prudence decide to hide the hornbook?
(a) William's house.
(b) Under the pews in the Meeting House.
(c) Under Kit's bed.
(d) Hannah's house.
6. Not long after John's departure, what happens to Judith?
(a) She decides to become a nun.
(b) She comes down with fever.
(c) She realizes that she is in love with someone else.
(d) She states that she does not want to live in the Colony anymore.
7. What does Kit confide to Hannah when she brings her Nat's gift?
(a) She tells Hannah that she is thinking of going to England.
(b) She tells Hannah she is not sure about William's proposal.
(c) She tells Hannah that Nat is in trouble.
(d) She tells Hannah that she might want to be a Quaker.
8. What cargo is Nat's ship carrying in Chapter 14?
(b) English glass.
9. How does the first snowfall of winter affect Kit?
(a) She is fascinated by it.
(b) She thinks it makes everything ugly.
(c) It makes her sad.
(d) It makes her angry that she lives in the snow.
10. How does Kit's trial end?
(a) She is sentenced to the stocks.
(b) She is acquitted of all charges.
(c) She is officially labeled a witch.
(d) She is warmly apologized to by Mrs. Cruff and the community.
11. Now that there is a new governor in Connecticut, what will increase?
(a) Political freedom.
(c) Religious freedom.
(d) The amount of land each colonists owns.
12. What is Kit's response when William proposes?
(a) She says yes right away.
(b) She says nothing and runs away.
(c) She admits that she is still unsure
(d) She says no right away.
13. How does Nat speak to Kit when the Dolphin returns to Wethersfield?
(a) He is rather silly and joking.
(b) He is very friendly.
(c) He speaks to her sarcastically.
(d) He speaks to her in a loving manner.
14. What rumor does Nat hear when he returns with the Dolphin to Wethersfield?
(a) That William is already married.
(b) That William plans on marrying Kit.
(c) That William has been branded a Quaker.
(d) That William has decided to move to England.
15. What does William's response to Kit's trial make her realize?
(a) That she hates the sight of him.
(b) That she cannot depend on him.
(c) That she is completely in love with him.
(d) That she likes him enough to marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Cruff respond when his daughter reads the Bible in front of the courtroom?
2. When the Dolphin is back in port, what does Nat bring back for Hannah?
3. Who is governor of the Connecticut Colony by Chapter 15?
4. What does Nat insist on doing after dinner at Hannah's?
5. How do Prudence and Hannah respond to each other?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)