|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the punishment for all of Kit's so-called crimes?
(d) Two years in prison.
2. When Kit arrives at her aunt's house, what disturbing news does she hear about John Holbrook?
(a) He has decided that he too loves Kit.
(b) He has started working for the new governor.
(c) He has given up school to be a sailor.
(d) He has joined the militia to fight the Indians.
3. Why does Prudence's mother think of her?
(a) That she is too stupid to learn to read.
(b) That she is the smartest girl.
(c) That she can do anything she puts her mind to.
(d) That she can learn if she tries and works hard.
4. What does John think when he hears that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
(a) He congratulates her on being so kind.
(b) He confesses that he has been visiting her too.
(c) He disapproves and thinks Hannah is a witch.
(d) He disapproves but thinks Hannah is a good person.
5. When the Dolphin is back in port, what does Nat bring back for Hannah?
(b) Some cloth.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A new basket.
6. Who is the thin, bedraggled man who suddenly shows up at the Woods' door one winter night?
(a) Mr. Kimberley.
7. What does Kit confide to Hannah when she brings her Nat's gift?
(a) She tells Hannah that she might want to be a Quaker.
(b) She tells Hannah she is not sure about William's proposal.
(c) She tells Hannah that she is thinking of going to England.
(d) She tells Hannah that Nat is in trouble.
8. What animal do the townspeople think Hannah has turned herself into in order to escape?
(a) A crow.
(b) A spider.
(c) A rat.
(d) A snake.
9. Who comes into town with reports from the militia?
(b) The governor.
(c) Two militiamen.
10. What does Prudence come to the courtroom to do?
(a) To yell at her mother for being cruel.
(b) To do nothing but cry.
(c) To testify on Kit's behalf.
(d) To encourage Kit with her presence.
11. When Matthew initially hears of the townspeople trying to go after Hannah, how does he respond?
(a) He tries to dissuade them.
(b) He tells them to do what they think is best, but he will not join.
(c) He is too worried about his daughter to care.
(d) He decides to join them.
12. What do some rowdy sailors put in the windows of the house William is building?
(a) Quaker religious symbols.
(b) Sinful pictures.
(d) Indian relics.
13. Who is there to comfort Judith when there is no news of John Holbrook's fate as a militiaman?
(c) Mr. Rogers.
14. What happens to the young sailors when they are caught in town?
(a) They are chastised and told to pray.
(b) They are put in the stocks.
(c) They are congratulated for their good joke.
(d) They are asked to leave the town.
15. Who comes to visit Kit when she is locked away as a prisoner?
(a) Her aunt Rachel.
(b) William Ashby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hides the charter from the new governor?
2. Who leads the party that has come to arrest Kit?
3. In Chapter 11, what does Kit notice as John Holbrook reads aloud to the group in the Woods' house?
4. What does Kit confess to Nat?
5. What "proof" about Kit is found at Hannah's house?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)