|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the punishment for all of Kit's so-called crimes?
(d) Two years in prison.
2. Who tries to defend Kit in court?
3. How does Mr. Cruff respond when his daughter reads the Bible in front of the courtroom?
(a) He is angry that she can read.
(b) He is furious that she has been spending time with Kit.
(c) He is ashamed of her.
(d) He is proud that she can read.
4. Now that there is a new governor in Connecticut, what will increase?
(a) Political freedom.
(b) Religious freedom.
(d) The amount of land each colonists owns.
5. Where do they lock Kit when she is arrested?
(a) In a shed at the constable's house.
(b) In a cell at the local jailhouse.
(c) In the stocks in the center of town.
(d) In the basement of the Meeting House.
6. Why does Hannah not want to leave her home at first even though Kit tells her of the angry crowd?
(a) Because she is afraid of being far away from her house.
(b) Because she does not believe Kit at first.
(c) Because Quakers do not run.
(d) Because she has nowhere to go.
7. What rumor does Nat hear when he returns with the Dolphin to Wethersfield?
(a) That William is already married.
(b) That William has been branded a Quaker.
(c) That William has decided to move to England.
(d) That William plans on marrying Kit.
8. How does Matthew react when he learns that Kit has been visiting Hannah?
(a) He is angry but eventually understands.
(b) He is angry and forbids her from ever going again.
(c) He is happy that she has been visiting her.
(d) He is indifferent and does not really care.
9. What is Kit's response when William proposes?
(a) She admits that she is still unsure
(b) She says no right away.
(c) She says yes right away.
(d) She says nothing and runs away.
10. With the coming of winter, what is Kit's emotional state?
(a) She is angry and snippy.
(b) She is lonely and depressed.
(c) She is happy and excited.
(d) She is mellow.
11. In response to the new governor, what are some of the colonists calling for?
(a) A petition to be signed stating they do not want the governor.
(b) A week of fasting.
(c) A peaceful protest.
(d) An armed rebellion.
12. Who is the thin, bedraggled man who suddenly shows up at the Woods' door one winter night?
(c) Mr. Kimberley.
13. In Chapter 11, what does Kit notice as John Holbrook reads aloud to the group in the Woods' house?
(a) How much she loves him.
(b) The way that he and Judith seem to be meant for each other.
(c) How handsome he is.
(d) The loving way Mercy is looking at him.
14. What happens to the young sailors when they are caught in town?
(a) They are chastised and told to pray.
(b) They are congratulated for their good joke.
(c) They are put in the stocks.
(d) They are asked to leave the town.
15. When Kit arrives at her aunt's house, what disturbing news does she hear about John Holbrook?
(a) He has given up school to be a sailor.
(b) He has started working for the new governor.
(c) He has decided that he too loves Kit.
(d) He has joined the militia to fight the Indians.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kit's trial end?
2. Who is left out again from the corn-husking festivities?
3. What food item does Rachel give to Kit to take to Hannah?
4. What "proof" about Kit is found at Hannah's house?
5. What does Judith announce as they are working to husk corn?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)