|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William ask Matthew in Chapter 6?
(a) For a place to stay.
(b) For a job.
(c) For permission to court Judith.
(d) For permission to court Kit.
2. When Matthew Wood finds out how much luggage Kit has brought with her, what is his response?
(a) He finds it wasteful and sinful.
(b) He thinks it is funny.
(c) He does not really care either way.
(d) He thinks it is a bit much, but that she is a growing girl.
3. What does the author note in Chapter 6 that is a touchy subject in Wethersfield?
(a) Womens' rights.
4. What opinion does Dr. Bulkeley mention that upsets Matthew?
(a) His enjoyment of reading for pleasure.
(b) His compliments about Kit's dress.
(c) His support of slavery.
(d) His approval of the Royalists.
5. What does Hannah do to raise some money to pay for taxes and fines?
(a) She knits socks and blankets.
(b) She spins flax for some of the townspeople.
(c) She sells bread.
(d) She sells vegetables.
6. What happens when Kit begins to help with the chores?
(a) She is not very fast at the chores, but they get done.
(b) She finds them difficult and is not very good at them.
(c) She is bad at a few but excellent at the cooking.
(d) She helps greatly and makes everthing easier.
7. What is the name of Hannah's husband?
8. Where does Hannah live?
(a) In a huge mansion at the end of the Great Meadow.
(b) Next door to the Wood residence.
(c) In a little house on the edge of a marshy pond.
(d) In the middle of the hustle and bustle of Wethersfield.
9. In Chapter 10, what does Kit tell Mr. Kimberly about the play-acting at the school?
(a) Kit explains that she knows that play-acting is bad and is sorry.
(b) Kit tells him that the children should be allowed to play-act.
(c) Kit explains that she is new and did not know.
(d) Kit tells him she will not abide by the rules.
10. What type of home does Kit grown up in?
(a) A shack.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A plantation.
11. Where is the school that Mercy teaches the young children?
(a) The Meeting House.
(b) The Woods' kitchen.
(c) The town hall.
(d) The schoolhouse.
12. In chapter one, how do people seem to respond to Kit jumping in the water?
(a) They they are concerned for her safety.
(b) They think it is funny.
(c) They find it admirable.
(d) They are annoyed.
13. What state seems to be taking longer accepting a governor appointed by the monarchy?
14. Who comes to Kit's defense when Matthew gets angry about Kit's outfit?
(a) No one.
15. Which sister tends to be more patient with Kit as she tries to learn the chores?
(b) They are both patient.
(c) They are both impatient.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Kit?
2. How does Kit feel about having to go to prayer meeting?
3. What decision does Mr. Kimberly make about closing the school?
4. Until moving to the colonies, what role does religion play in Kit's life?
5. What is Mr. Holbrook studying to be?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)