|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the school that Mercy teaches the young children?
(a) The Meeting House.
(b) The schoolhouse.
(c) The Woods' kitchen.
(d) The town hall.
2. Why is Mercy crippled?
(a) Because of a fall from a horse.
(b) Because of a fever as a child.
(c) No one knows why.
(d) She was born that way.
3. What is Kit surprised to hear when they are leaving her first prayer meeting?
(a) That the meetings are only once a month.
(b) That she must go every single day.
(c) That she never has to go again.
(d) That they will be returning later for a second meeting.
4. How does Kit find the work of weeding the onion patch?
(a) She finds that it is over quickly.
(b) She finds it very strenuous.
(c) She finds it enjoyable.
(d) She finds it quite relaxing.
5. What decision does Mr. Kimberly make about closing the school?
(a) It must close.
(b) It can stay open but neither girl can teach anymore.
(c) It can stay open.
(d) It can stay open but Kit cannot teach anymore.
6. What about Hannah's physical appearance seems to frighten Kit?
(a) Her crooked nose.
(b) The nasty scar on her forehead.
(c) Her toothless smile.
(d) Her scraggly hair.
7. Why were Hannah and her husband not allowed to stay in town when they arrived in Connecticut?
(a) Because they were not married correctly.
(b) The fact that they did not originally speak English.
(c) Because of their skin color.
(d) The branded scars on their foreheads.
8. After service, Dr. Bulkeley and who else are invited to the Woods' for dinner?
(b) Their impoverished neighbors.
(c) Mr. Holbrook.
9. What type of political outlook does Kit's grandfather adhere to?
10. What response does William's request of Matthew in Chapter 6 elicit from the three girls?
11. When Matthew Wood finds out how much luggage Kit has brought with her, what is his response?
(a) He thinks it is a bit much, but that she is a growing girl.
(b) He finds it wasteful and sinful.
(c) He thinks it is funny.
(d) He does not really care either way.
12. Why does no one live in the Great Meadow?
(a) Because the governor has declared it off-limits to the Colonies.
(b) Because it is too far from town.
(c) Because it is an ancient Indian burial ground.
(d) Because it floods every spring.
13. After Kit's grandfather dies, what happens to the plantation and Kit's wealth?
(a) It is given to the first male heir.
(b) She has to sell it all to pay her grandfather's debts.
(c) Nothing. She still owns it all but does not want to live alone.
(d) It all burns in an accidental fire.
14. In Chapter 7, who comes and interrupts Kit's time with William?
(c) The reverend.
(d) John Holbrook.
15. How does Nat view slavery?
(a) He is not sure how he feels about it.
(b) He is vehemently against it.
(c) He believes it is good and right.
(d) He could care less either way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William mention he is intending to build?
2. What type of home does Kit grown up in?
3. Which members of the Wethersfield community are expected to go to the meeting?
4. When Kit finds out that the Woods have no servants, how does she feel?
5. Who is the only member of the Wood family not expected to attend prayer meeting?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)