|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does no one live in the Great Meadow?
(a) Because it is too far from town.
(b) Because it is an ancient Indian burial ground.
(c) Because it floods every spring.
(d) Because the governor has declared it off-limits to the Colonies.
2. When Matthew returns home and sees the new clothes, what does he do?
(a) He does not really notice.
(b) He demands that his daughters return the clothes.
(c) He pretends that he likes the dresses.
(d) He thanks Kit profusely.
3. What does Kit think of the fields of the Great Meadow?
(a) That there are too many bugs.
(b) That they are very plain.
(c) That they are beautiful.
(d) That they smell.
4. What rumor is Mrs. Cruff spreading about Kit on their boat ride to Wethersfield?
(a) That Kit was raised by wolves.
(b) That Kit is a witch.
(c) That Kit is a boy.
(d) That Kit cannot speak.
5. Who is named by England as governor of the Colonies?
6. What does Hannah do when she sees Kit crying in the Great Meadow?
(a) She yells at Kit to go away.
(b) She does nothing but stare at Kit.
(c) She goes out and invites Kit to her house.
(d) She starts crying too.
7. What familiar person does Kit meet again at the Meeting House?
(c) Mrs. Cruff.
(d) Mrs. Eaton.
8. What is the name of the port where Kit first goes ashore on her way to Wethersfield?
9. What story does Kit have the students act out?
(a) Moses and the Exodus of the Israelites.
(b) The story of Esther.
(c) The Good Samaritan.
(d) Jonah and the Whale.
10. How does Kit describe her Aunt's home?
(a) As large but sparsely furnished.
(b) As small but splendid.
(c) As dirty and run-down.
(d) As large, ornate and gaudy.
11. What warning does Matthew give Kit about living with them?
(a) He warns her about bugs, snakes and other dangers.
(b) He tells her not to leave the town borders.
(c) He warns her that she must abide by their customs.
(d) He tells her to watch out for the witch down the street.
12. What warning does Mr. Holbrook give Kit?
(a) To keep her hands and feet in the boat at all times.
(b) That society is different in the Colony.
(c) That the water is full of parasites.
(d) That she has to watch out who she befriends.
13. What decision does Mr. Kimberly make about closing the school?
(a) It can stay open but Kit cannot teach anymore.
(b) It can stay open but neither girl can teach anymore.
(c) It must close.
(d) It can stay open.
14. What additional gift does Kit convince Judith to take with the clothes she has already given her?
(a) Some stockings.
(b) A bonnet.
(c) Some shoes.
(d) A satchel.
15. How does Nat view slavery?
(a) He believes it is good and right.
(b) He could care less either way.
(c) He is not sure how he feels about it.
(d) He is vehemently against it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Judith describe Hannah Tupper?
2. What happens to Kit's grandfather that causes his death?
3. What state seems to be taking longer accepting a governor appointed by the monarchy?
4. Until moving to the colonies, what role does religion play in Kit's life?
5. In Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith tell Kit when the guests are gone?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)