|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of people does Kit see at the port dressed in somber colors and styles?
2. Which sister tends to be more patient with Kit as she tries to learn the chores?
(b) They are both impatient.
(d) They are both patient.
3. What is Kit's initial reaction to Wethersfield?
(a) She is disappointed by the small town.
(b) She is excited to be there.
(c) She is enthralled by its beauty.
(d) She is overwhelmed by how big it is.
4. What does the author note in Chapter 6 that is a touchy subject in Wethersfield?
(d) Womens' rights.
5. What does Kit consider Mercy to be?
(a) The most somber little girl.
(b) Everyone's comfort.
(c) The family jokester.
(d) A weakened person.
6. How many trunks full of her belongings does Kit bring to Wethersfield?
7. What do the schoolmaster and the reverend do when they come into the class and see the children playing make-believe?
(a) They scold the class and the teachers and leave.
(b) They dismiss Kit as a teacher.
(c) They do nothing and sit in silence.
(d) They clap and encourage the students.
8. What does Matthew think about the Assembly's land-concessions move?
(a) He thinks the idea is good but that the king should do it.
(b) It does not matter to him because he already has land.
(c) He does not agree at all.
(d) He supports it and thinks it will lessen the king's power.
9. How do the Puritans view play-acting?
(a) They think it is necessary.
(b) They see it as silly.
(c) They consider it great fun.
(d) They consider it sinful.
10. How does John Holbrook view reading?
(a) Reading is completely pointless.
(b) Reading is work, not for pleasure.
(c) Reading is for pleasure and work.
(d) Reading is purely for pleasure.
11. What additional gift does Kit convince Judith to take with the clothes she has already given her?
(a) A satchel.
(b) A bonnet.
(c) Some shoes.
(d) Some stockings.
12. How does Kit react to teaching the young children?
(a) She thinks it is too hard and would rather do manual labor.
(b) She finds it quite dull.
(c) She enjoys it.
(d) She thinks it is better than nothing.
13. What happens to Rachel's first son?
(a) He gets lost in the nearby forest.
(b) He dies of fever.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He drowns in the marshy pond.
14. Why were Hannah and her husband not allowed to stay in town when they arrived in Connecticut?
(a) Because they were not married correctly.
(b) The branded scars on their foreheads.
(c) Because of their skin color.
(d) The fact that they did not originally speak English.
15. What type of home does Kit grown up in?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A shack.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A plantation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which king gives the charter to the colonists?
2. Who is Dr. Bulkeley?
3. Who is the monarch of England at the time Kit moves to the colonies?
4. When William first comes to court Kit, what do they do?
5. What is the name of the port where Kit first goes ashore on her way to Wethersfield?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)