|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hannah do when she sees Kit crying in the Great Meadow?
(a) She goes out and invites Kit to her house.
(b) She does nothing but stare at Kit.
(c) She yells at Kit to go away.
(d) She starts crying too.
2. Because the girls are busy trying on their new clothes, what is left undone?
(c) Going to town.
(d) Household chores.
3. How does Kit react to teaching the young children?
(a) She thinks it is better than nothing.
(b) She finds it quite dull.
(c) She thinks it is too hard and would rather do manual labor.
(d) She enjoys it.
4. What state seems to be taking longer accepting a governor appointed by the monarchy?
5. When William first comes to court Kit, what do they do?
(a) They play chess.
(b) They sit quietly side by side.
(c) They take a walk around the property.
(d) They go into town.
6. What decision does Mr. Kimberly make about closing the school?
(a) It can stay open but neither girl can teach anymore.
(b) It can stay open but Kit cannot teach anymore.
(c) It can stay open.
(d) It must close.
7. What happens to Rachel's first son?
(a) He dies of fever.
(b) He gets lost in the nearby forest.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He drowns in the marshy pond.
8. Which king gives the charter to the colonists?
(a) King Edward VI.
(b) King James.
(c) King Henry XI.
(d) King Charles.
9. What hurtful thing does Judith say about her cousin her first night there?
(a) That Kit should have been a boy; it would be more helpful.
(b) That Kit is not very pretty.
(c) That Kit is not very nice.
(d) That Kit is just a spoiled farm girl.
10. Until moving to the colonies, what role does religion play in Kit's life?
(a) Not a very big role.
(b) It is important, but she follows a different religion than the Woods.
(c) It was very important to her, but she abandons it.
(d) It is still important to her.
11. What do Rachel and Mercy make for Kit?
(a) A doll.
(b) A picture of her home in Barbados.
(c) A plain calico dress.
(d) A quilt.
12. What does William think that his new responsibility will enable him to do?
(a) Gain respect in the community.
(b) Settle down.
(c) Give him advancement in politics.
(d) Move to the big city.
13. What do the Puritans consider the Quakers?
(a) Troublemakers and heretics.
(b) Devil worshippers.
(c) Fellow Christians.
(d) Brothers in the Lord.
14. What day is prayer meeting held?
15. How does Nat view slavery?
(a) He is not sure how he feels about it.
(b) He could care less either way.
(c) He is vehemently against it.
(d) He believes it is good and right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Hannah's physical appearance seems to frighten Kit?
2. What does Hannah do to raise some money to pay for taxes and fines?
3. What is the name of the woman who has taken Kit under her wing on the Dolphin?
4. Whose reaction does Judith wonder about when they see her in the new clothes?
5. In chapter one, how do people seem to respond to Kit jumping in the water?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)