|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Matthew returns home and sees the new clothes, what does he do?
(a) He pretends that he likes the dresses.
(b) He thanks Kit profusely.
(c) He demands that his daughters return the clothes.
(d) He does not really notice.
2. What day is prayer meeting held?
3. Why is Mercy crippled?
(a) Because of a fall from a horse.
(b) Because of a fever as a child.
(c) She was born that way.
(d) No one knows why.
4. What is the name of the woman who has taken Kit under her wing on the Dolphin?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(b) Mrs. Washington.
(c) Mrs. Eaton.
(d) Mrs. Edwards.
5. What keeps Matthew Wood from having a larger plot in the meadow?
(a) He is not allowed to have a larger plot.
(b) He does not have anyone to help him with the land.
(c) He does not want a larger plot.
(d) He considers having a larger plot to be greedy.
6. What is Kit surprised to hear when they are leaving her first prayer meeting?
(a) That she must go every single day.
(b) That the meetings are only once a month.
(c) That they will be returning later for a second meeting.
(d) That she never has to go again.
7. What does William think about the new governor of the Colonies appointed by the King?
(a) He thinks the colonies should be left alone by England.
(b) He despises the governor but thinks another one would be good.
(c) He has no opinion and does not like talking about politics.
(d) He thinks the colonies should accept the governor.
8. What does Kit consider Mercy to be?
(a) The most somber little girl.
(b) The family jokester.
(c) A weakened person.
(d) Everyone's comfort.
9. What are two sentiments that are deeply ingrained in the Colonies?
(a) Religious freedom and commitment to the crown.
(b) The ideals of king and country.
(c) The spirit of freedom and liberty.
(d) Interdependence on one another and England.
10. What news from the town selectmen does Mercy have for Kit when she returns home from the Great Meadow?
(a) Kit is no longer allowed to read for fun.
(b) Kit can help Mercy teach the young children lettering.
(c) Kit must be baptized soon.
(d) Kit must throw away all her fine clothes from Barbados.
11. What warning does Matthew give Kit about living with them?
(a) He tells her to watch out for the witch down the street.
(b) He warns her about bugs, snakes and other dangers.
(c) He warns her that she must abide by their customs.
(d) He tells her not to leave the town borders.
12. What does William ask Matthew in Chapter 6?
(a) For permission to court Kit.
(b) For a job.
(c) For a place to stay.
(d) For permission to court Judith.
13. What happens to Rachel's first son?
(a) He drowns in the marshy pond.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He gets lost in the nearby forest.
(d) He dies of fever.
14. Whose reaction does Judith wonder about when they see her in the new clothes?
(a) Her father's.
(b) Her mother's.
15. When William first comes to court Kit, what do they do?
(a) They sit quietly side by side.
(b) They take a walk around the property.
(c) They play chess.
(d) They go into town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the overseer of Kit's grandfather's plantation do?
2. What does Kit mention the Dolphin smells like?
3. How is Kit received when her aunt learns that she has come to live with them?
4. How does Judith describe Hannah Tupper?
5. Which king gives the charter to the colonists?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)