|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What additional gift does Kit convince Judith to take with the clothes she has already given her?
(a) Some stockings.
(b) A satchel.
(c) Some shoes.
(d) A bonnet.
2. What is Kit's initial reaction to Wethersfield?
(a) She is disappointed by the small town.
(b) She is overwhelmed by how big it is.
(c) She is enthralled by its beauty.
(d) She is excited to be there.
3. What is the name of the captain's son?
4. What is the religion of Kit's relatives in Wethersfield?
5. What do the Puritans consider the Quakers?
(a) Devil worshippers.
(b) Brothers in the Lord.
(c) Troublemakers and heretics.
(d) Fellow Christians.
6. What does Mercy tell Kit about their life in Wethersfield?
(a) That life has its ups and downs.
(b) She tells Kit not to worry about anything.
(c) That life is easy.
(d) That life is very hard for them.
7. Why does no one live in the Great Meadow?
(a) Because it floods every spring.
(b) Because it is too far from town.
(c) Because the governor has declared it off-limits to the Colonies.
(d) Because it is an ancient Indian burial ground.
8. What familiar person does Kit meet again at the Meeting House?
(b) Mrs. Eaton.
(c) Mrs. Cruff.
9. After observing the Cruffs, how does Kit view them?
(a) As lovey-dovey.
(b) As very studious.
(c) As very nice.
(d) As harsh people.
10. What item does Prudence accidentally drop in the water?
(a) Her parisol.
(b) Her doll.
(c) Her lunch.
(d) Her eyeglasses.
11. In chapter one, how do people seem to respond to Kit jumping in the water?
(a) They they are concerned for her safety.
(b) They find it admirable.
(c) They think it is funny.
(d) They are annoyed.
12. What does the author note in Chapter 6 that is a touchy subject in Wethersfield?
(b) Womens' rights.
13. How does Nat view slavery?
(a) He believes it is good and right.
(b) He could care less either way.
(c) He is vehemently against it.
(d) He is not sure how he feels about it.
14. Why does Kit jump off the boat and into the water in Chapter 1?
(a) Because the ship is sinking and everyone has to.
(b) Because it is very hot.
(c) To save someone's life.
(d) To retrieve what Prudence had dropped.
15. Who is Dr. Bulkeley?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Matthew's boss.
(c) The town physician.
(d) Mr. Holbrook's professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Kit have the students act out?
2. What about Hannah's physical appearance seems to frighten Kit?
3. How does Kit feel about her first prayer meeting?
4. What does Hannah do to raise some money to pay for taxes and fines?
5. Why were Hannah and her husband not allowed to stay in town when they arrived in Connecticut?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)