|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose reaction does Judith wonder about when they see her in the new clothes?
(a) Her father's.
(c) Her mother's.
2. What about Hannah's physical appearance seems to frighten Kit?
(a) Her toothless smile.
(b) Her scraggly hair.
(c) Her crooked nose.
(d) The nasty scar on her forehead.
3. After service, Dr. Bulkeley and who else are invited to the Woods' for dinner?
(a) Mr. Holbrook.
(b) Their impoverished neighbors.
4. What does Mercy tell Kit about their life in Wethersfield?
(a) She tells Kit not to worry about anything.
(b) That life is very hard for them.
(c) That life has its ups and downs.
(d) That life is easy.
5. What does Kit tend to do at the end of each class?
(a) Recite the Lord's Prayer.
(b) Repeat the Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) Sing a song.
(d) Tell the children stories.
6. Which members of the Wethersfield community are expected to go to the meeting?
(a) Women only.
(b) Men only.
(d) Adults only.
7. How does Kit feel when the reverend says a prayer for Mercy and her affliction?
(a) She is annoyed.
(b) She is in agreement.
(c) She is thankful.
(d) She is emotional.
8. Who does Kit note is the staying force of the Wood family?
9. What happens to Kit's grandfather that causes his death?
(a) He becomes ill.
(b) Someone poisons him.
(c) He is wounded in a farming accident.
(d) He drowns while swimming in the ocean.
10. What does Hannah do to raise some money to pay for taxes and fines?
(a) She spins flax for some of the townspeople.
(b) She sells vegetables.
(c) She sells bread.
(d) She knits socks and blankets.
11. Where does Hannah live?
(a) In a little house on the edge of a marshy pond.
(b) In the middle of the hustle and bustle of Wethersfield.
(c) Next door to the Wood residence.
(d) In a huge mansion at the end of the Great Meadow.
12. In chapter one, how do people seem to respond to Kit jumping in the water?
(a) They think it is funny.
(b) They they are concerned for her safety.
(c) They find it admirable.
(d) They are annoyed.
13. What happens when Kit begins to help with the chores?
(a) She is not very fast at the chores, but they get done.
(b) She helps greatly and makes everthing easier.
(c) She finds them difficult and is not very good at them.
(d) She is bad at a few but excellent at the cooking.
14. How does Kit feel about her first prayer meeting?
(a) She is indifferent and just glad not to be working.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She finds it long and boring.
(d) She find it interesting but a bit long.
15. What additional gift does Kit convince Judith to take with the clothes she has already given her?
(a) Some shoes.
(b) A bonnet.
(c) A satchel.
(d) Some stockings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because the girls are busy trying on their new clothes, what is left undone?
2. How is Kit received when her aunt learns that she has come to live with them?
3. How many trunks full of her belongings does Kit bring to Wethersfield?
4. How does Nat view slavery?
5. How does Kit describe her Aunt's home?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)