|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does no one live in the Great Meadow?
(a) Because it is an ancient Indian burial ground.
(b) Because it floods every spring.
(c) Because the governor has declared it off-limits to the Colonies.
(d) Because it is too far from town.
2. How does Kit feel about her first prayer meeting?
(a) She find it interesting but a bit long.
(b) She is indifferent and just glad not to be working.
(c) She finds it long and boring.
(d) She loves it.
3. How does John Holbrook view reading?
(a) Reading is work, not for pleasure.
(b) Reading is completely pointless.
(c) Reading is for pleasure and work.
(d) Reading is purely for pleasure.
4. How does Nat view slavery?
(a) He is vehemently against it.
(b) He is not sure how he feels about it.
(c) He could care less either way.
(d) He believes it is good and right.
5. Who is Dr. Bulkeley?
(a) The town physician.
(b) Mr. Holbrook's professor.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Matthew's boss.
6. What does Kit tend to do at the end of each class?
(a) Repeat the Pledge of Allegiance.
(b) Sing a song.
(c) Tell the children stories.
(d) Recite the Lord's Prayer.
7. How does Kit feel about having to go to prayer meeting?
(a) She is excited to go.
(b) She does not care either way.
(c) She does not want to go.
(d) She is interested in going so she can learn more.
8. What warning does Matthew give Kit about living with them?
(a) He tells her to watch out for the witch down the street.
(b) He warns her that she must abide by their customs.
(c) He warns her about bugs, snakes and other dangers.
(d) He tells her not to leave the town borders.
9. Why is Matthew angry about what Kit is wearing to prayer meeting?
(a) He thinks it will cause others to be jealous.
(b) He thinks she looks too pretty.
(c) He finds her clothes scandalous.
(d) He thinks she looks nicer than he does and is bothered.
10. Because the girls are busy trying on their new clothes, what is left undone?
(c) Household chores.
(d) Going to town.
11. What opinion does Dr. Bulkeley mention that upsets Matthew?
(a) His support of slavery.
(b) His compliments about Kit's dress.
(c) His enjoyment of reading for pleasure.
(d) His approval of the Royalists.
12. What happens when Kit begins to help with the chores?
(a) She helps greatly and makes everthing easier.
(b) She finds them difficult and is not very good at them.
(c) She is bad at a few but excellent at the cooking.
(d) She is not very fast at the chores, but they get done.
13. How does Kit react to teaching the young children?
(a) She finds it quite dull.
(b) She thinks it is too hard and would rather do manual labor.
(c) She thinks it is better than nothing.
(d) She enjoys it.
14. Who does Kit note is the staying force of the Wood family?
15. Who teaches Kit how to read?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her maidservant.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannah do to raise some money to pay for taxes and fines?
2. Where do Kit's father and mother meet?
3. When William first comes to court Kit, what do they do?
4. What keeps Matthew Wood from having a larger plot in the meadow?
5. What are two sentiments that are deeply ingrained in the Colonies?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)