|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the Great Meadow?
(a) Dry and barren.
(b) Very fertile soil.
(c) A poor place to live and plant.
(d) Green but poor soil for planting.
2. In Chapter 7, what important responsibility has William recently been given?
(a) Builder of the new Meeting House.
(b) Viewer of Fences.
(c) Lead choir singer.
(d) Community organizer.
3. What does Kit tend to do at the end of each class?
(a) Tell the children stories.
(b) Repeat the Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) Recite the Lord's Prayer.
(d) Sing a song.
4. What is the religion of Kit's relatives in Wethersfield?
5. What does Hannah do to raise some money to pay for taxes and fines?
(a) She knits socks and blankets.
(b) She sells vegetables.
(c) She sells bread.
(d) She spins flax for some of the townspeople.
6. After observing the Cruffs, how does Kit view them?
(a) As very studious.
(b) As very nice.
(c) As lovey-dovey.
(d) As harsh people.
7. In Chapter 10, what does Kit tell Mr. Kimberly about the play-acting at the school?
(a) Kit tells him that the children should be allowed to play-act.
(b) Kit tells him she will not abide by the rules.
(c) Kit explains that she knows that play-acting is bad and is sorry.
(d) Kit explains that she is new and did not know.
8. What opinion does Dr. Bulkeley mention that upsets Matthew?
(a) His compliments about Kit's dress.
(b) His enjoyment of reading for pleasure.
(c) His approval of the Royalists.
(d) His support of slavery.
9. Because the girls are busy trying on their new clothes, what is left undone?
(b) Household chores.
(d) Going to town.
10. What is Kit surprised to hear when they are leaving her first prayer meeting?
(a) That the meetings are only once a month.
(b) That she must go every single day.
(c) That she never has to go again.
(d) That they will be returning later for a second meeting.
11. How does Rachel respond when she hears about Kit spending time with Hannah?
(a) She is slightly worried but overall thinks it is fine.
(b) She is angery and yells at Kit.
(c) She is very distressed to hear it.
(d) She thinks it is nice of Kit.
12. What is the name of the port where Kit first goes ashore on her way to Wethersfield?
13. How many young children are in Mercy's class?
14. When Matthew returns home and sees the new clothes, what does he do?
(a) He thanks Kit profusely.
(b) He does not really notice.
(c) He pretends that he likes the dresses.
(d) He demands that his daughters return the clothes.
15. How is Kit received when her aunt learns that she has come to live with them?
(a) Her aunt knew she was coming.
(b) Kit is told to leave immediately.
(c) Kit is not well-received.
(d) Her aunt is very excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kit feel about her first prayer meeting?
2. After service, Dr. Bulkeley and who else are invited to the Woods' for dinner?
3. Why is Matthew angry about what Kit is wearing to prayer meeting?
4. What about Hannah's physical appearance seems to frighten Kit?
5. How does Kit describe her Aunt's home?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)