|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Kit received when her aunt learns that she has come to live with them?
(a) Her aunt knew she was coming.
(b) Kit is not well-received.
(c) Her aunt is very excited.
(d) Kit is told to leave immediately.
2. What is the name of the woman who has taken Kit under her wing on the Dolphin?
(a) Mrs. Eaton.
(b) Mrs. Washington.
(c) Mrs. Smith.
(d) Mrs. Edwards.
3. What is the name of the port where Kit first goes ashore on her way to Wethersfield?
4. What type of political outlook does Kit's grandfather adhere to?
5. What does Kit mention the Dolphin smells like?
6. What hurtful thing does Judith say about her cousin her first night there?
(a) That Kit should have been a boy; it would be more helpful.
(b) That Kit is not very pretty.
(c) That Kit is not very nice.
(d) That Kit is just a spoiled farm girl.
7. When Matthew returns home and sees the new clothes, what does he do?
(a) He does not really notice.
(b) He thanks Kit profusely.
(c) He pretends that he likes the dresses.
(d) He demands that his daughters return the clothes.
8. What is Kit's initial reaction to Wethersfield?
(a) She is enthralled by its beauty.
(b) She is overwhelmed by how big it is.
(c) She is excited to be there.
(d) She is disappointed by the small town.
9. In Chapter 7, what do Mercy and Judith tell Kit when the guests are gone?
(a) That they like John more than William.
(b) That they think William does not really like her anymore.
(c) That William is preparing for marriage.
(d) That they do not want her to marry William.
10. Whose reaction does Judith wonder about when they see her in the new clothes?
(b) Her mother's.
(d) Her father's.
11. Who does Kit note is the staying force of the Wood family?
12. Because the girls are busy trying on their new clothes, what is left undone?
(c) Going to town.
(d) Household chores.
13. What opinion does Dr. Bulkeley mention that upsets Matthew?
(a) His compliments about Kit's dress.
(b) His enjoyment of reading for pleasure.
(c) His support of slavery.
(d) His approval of the Royalists.
14. What does Kit think of the fields of the Great Meadow?
(a) That they are very plain.
(b) That they smell.
(c) That there are too many bugs.
(d) That they are beautiful.
15. Where is the school that Mercy teaches the young children?
(a) The Woods' kitchen.
(b) The Meeting House.
(c) The schoolhouse.
(d) The town hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Kit?
2. What rumor is Mrs. Cruff spreading about Kit on their boat ride to Wethersfield?
3. Which sister tends to be more patient with Kit as she tries to learn the chores?
4. What decision does Mr. Kimberly make about closing the school?
5. What does William think about the new governor of the Colonies appointed by the King?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)