|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many young children are in Mercy's class?
2. Why is Mercy crippled?
(a) Because of a fever as a child.
(b) No one knows why.
(c) She was born that way.
(d) Because of a fall from a horse.
3. What opinion does Dr. Bulkeley mention that upsets Matthew?
(a) His support of slavery.
(b) His approval of the Royalists.
(c) His enjoyment of reading for pleasure.
(d) His compliments about Kit's dress.
4. What is the name of the port where Kit first goes ashore on her way to Wethersfield?
5. What happens to Rachel's first son?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He dies of fever.
(c) He gets lost in the nearby forest.
(d) He drowns in the marshy pond.
6. When Kit finds out that the Woods have no servants, how does she feel?
7. What is the religion of Kit's relatives in Wethersfield?
8. How does Rachel respond when she hears about Kit spending time with Hannah?
(a) She is slightly worried but overall thinks it is fine.
(b) She is very distressed to hear it.
(c) She thinks it is nice of Kit.
(d) She is angery and yells at Kit.
9. Where do Kit's father and mother meet?
(a) In the Colony.
(b) In Jamaica.
(c) In England.
(d) In Barbados.
10. Why is Matthew angry about what Kit is wearing to prayer meeting?
(a) He thinks she looks nicer than he does and is bothered.
(b) He thinks she looks too pretty.
(c) He finds her clothes scandalous.
(d) He thinks it will cause others to be jealous.
11. Which members of the Wethersfield community are expected to go to the meeting?
(a) Men only.
(c) Adults only.
(d) Women only.
12. How does Kit feel about her first prayer meeting?
(a) She finds it long and boring.
(b) She is indifferent and just glad not to be working.
(c) She find it interesting but a bit long.
(d) She loves it.
13. What keeps Matthew Wood from having a larger plot in the meadow?
(a) He considers having a larger plot to be greedy.
(b) He does not have anyone to help him with the land.
(c) He is not allowed to have a larger plot.
(d) He does not want a larger plot.
14. How does Judith describe Hannah Tupper?
(a) She says Hannah is a nice but shy girl.
(b) She says Hannah goes to church every day.
(c) She says Hannah is her best friend.
(d) She says Hannah is a witch.
15. How does John Holbrook view reading?
(a) Reading is work, not for pleasure.
(b) Reading is purely for pleasure.
(c) Reading is for pleasure and work.
(d) Reading is completely pointless.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sister tends to be more patient with Kit as she tries to learn the chores?
2. When Kit arrives in Wethersfield, who is there to meet her?
3. Because the girls are busy trying on their new clothes, what is left undone?
4. What is Mr. Holbrook studying to be?
5. When Matthew returns home and sees the new clothes, what does he do?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)