* Reader is introduced to Kit Tyler, 16-year old who is traveling to the American Colonies.
* Kit is traveling alone to the colonies from Barbados.
* There are several characters who are on the boat ride with Kit such as Mr. Holbrook, who is studying to be a minister
* The Cruff family is on the boat, and Kit sees them as surly.
* The name of the settlement Kit is traveling to is Wethersfield.
* The name of the boat she is traveling on is the Dolphin.
* Kit describes Prudence Cruff, a sad and lonely child she is somehow drawn to.
* The reader learns that Kit's parents died when she was very young and that she was raised by her grandfather.
* Kit's grandfather was a wealthy plantation owner in Barbados.
* Kit is on her way to the colonies to meet her aunt, her only living relative after her grandfather dies...
This section contains 1,501 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)