|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does one of the students give when asked why Donne makes his sonnets complicated?
(a) Because he is hiding.
(b) To make Vivian's class more difficult.
(c) To sound smarter.
(d) He does not know how complicated his sonnets are.
2. What poem does Vivian quote in her final coherent lines of the play?
(a) Lady Lazarus.
(b) Holy Sonnet Six.
(c) The Day of Rain.
(d) She Sleeps.
3. What is Vivian's initial morphine dosage?
(a) Ten every half hour.
(b) Five an hour.
(c) As much as she feels she needs.
(d) Ten an hour.
4. Vivian says, “What we have come to think of as me is, in fact, just the ____.”
(d) Specimen jar.
5. What does Susie call Vivian when she comes into her room to take care of the alarm?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivian say about her peritoneal cavity?
2. What does Vivian compare herself to when she says she wants to explain but is unable?
3. How does Vivian get Susie to come into her room?
4. How does Jason describe clinicians?
5. How does Jason describe Vivian's seventeenth-century poetry course?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Vivian so upset at her imaginary lecture being interrupted by Susie?
2. What is the significance of Vivian surviving eight cycles of chemotherapy at the full dosage?
3. Why does Vivian tell the audience that “now is the time for kindness?”
4. Why does Vivian shut her own eyelids and cross her arms over her chest?
5. Why does Vivian make her bed alarm go off in the middle of the night?
6. Why is Vivian given a morphine drip instead of patient-controlled analgesic?
7. Explain Vivian's reaction to hearing two students mock her after class.
8. Why is Vivian scared?
9. Why does Susie tell Vivian that she and Jason are inserting a catheter even though she can't hear Susie?
10. What two options did Vivian have when a student's comment contained an insightful seed? What were the possible consequences of each?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)