|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the struggle in the beginning of the sonnet, according to Ashford?
2. What does Vivian think would be a great loss to her discipline?
(a) Her death.
(b) Allowing her colleagues to hear her vocabulary.
(d) Barfing her brains out.
3. What is the problem with the translation Vivian used?
(a) The punctuation.
(b) The adjectives are missing.
(c) The meter.
(d) It was renounced by scholars.
4. What example does Vivian's father give her to help her understand the definition of the word she struggles with?
(a) Vivian's mother's flower-bed.
(b) Deer ticks.
(c) Boring dinner conversation.
(d) His Victorian Era settee.
5. What causes Jason to lose his composure at the end of Vivian's physical exam?
(a) The size of the mass in Vivian's body.
(b) Susie's outburst.
(c) The fact that she is a professor he had as an undergraduate.
(d) Vivian's response to his exam.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cycles of treatment will Vivian undergo?
2. What stage is Vivian's cancer in?
3. What author does Vivian quote at the end of Scene 1?
4. How long did Vivian study with Ashford?
5. What does Susie take with her when she leaves Vivian's room at the end of Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jason suddenly stop as he is talking about Vivian during the examination?
2. Why is Ashford unhappy that Vivian used the translation of Donne that she did? Why does Ashford prefer Gardner's edition?
3. When and how did Vivian discover words would be her life's work?
4. What is the standard greeting where Vivian is? What is her standard response?
5. Why is Vivian's diagnosis so concerning?
6. Give two reasons Vivian looks up medical terms she does not know?
7. Explain the cycle of Vivian's chemotherapy treatments as it relates to her overall feeling.
8. Why does Vivian appreciate Kelekian's thoroughness as he explains the situation to her?
9. What are three things Vivian think about while Kelekian is explaining her diagnosis?
10. What does Vivian say the audience will see in “this dramatic structure?” What does Vivian want to document?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)