|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry's father beat him in Chapter 2?
2. Who is described as "suspicious of their own noses"?
3. Why do Karen's parents dislike Henry?
4. Why does Henry get rid of his maid?
5. How old is Henry when he is first arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why the author, Nicholas Pileggi, decides to write the book from Henry Hill's perspective.
2. Describe what Tommy and Jimmy do with Billy Batts' after Tommy shoots him in The Suite.
3. Describe the mentality of the "sidewalk soldiers" and why they never feared being caught for their crimes.
4. Describe the ambush the wiseguys took out on a local restaurant staff in Chapter 10.
5. Why does Henry choose the cabstand when looking for a part-time job?
6. Why does Karen like Henry so much?
7. What is the typical wiseguy like?
8. Describe why the wiseguys throw Henry a party in Chapter 2.
9. Discuss some of the schemes that Henry took part in during Chapter 2 before taking part in the gambling ring.
10. What are some of the ways Paul Vario distances himself from the criminal acts that he and his group commit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry was often treated with disrespect and hatred at home. How do you feel this influenced his becoming a wiseguy? Do you think that it is one of his biggest motivations or a coincidence? In what ways does this motivate and prepare him for a life in the mob? Are these downfalls to blame for these men entering a life of crime or are they simply a part of the typical wiseguy demographic? Is it possible for a wiseguy to be from a rich and well balanced home?
Essay Topic 2
At a very young age, Henry is coerced into committing illegal acts for the wiseguys. In what ways is Henry talked into committing these acts? What is his reaction when he is told to commit them? How are these crimes viewed in the eyes of the mobsters?
Essay Topic 3
By showing the ease in which the police come up with Jimmy and his gangs' names after the Lufthansa case, the author shows that the wiseguys weren't completely in charge. How does this foreshadow the sudden demise of Henry's lifestyle? Since his life was so dependent on lies, are you surprised that it took so long for Henry to be taken down?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)