|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who attacks Karen in Chapter 5?
2. Where is the guard when Henry first attempts to enter the strong room?
3. What does Paulie call the stolen credit cards he uses?
4. What weapon(s) are used in the restaurant massacre?
5. How does the author, Nicholas Pileggi, meet Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry fall for Karen when before he wasn't interested in having one steady girlfriend?
2. Describe the mentality of the "sidewalk soldiers" and why they never feared being caught for their crimes.
3. Why does Karen like Henry so much?
4. To what lengths does the author have to go in order to meet with Henry Hill, Jr.?
5. What does Henry ask Karen to do after he beats up her neighbor, and how does she react to this?
6. What is the author's intent for writing this book?
7. Why does Henry decide to start an honest business by buying The Suite?
8. How does the book describe how the mafia rose in the Brownsville-East New York area?
9. Describe why the wiseguys throw Henry a party in Chapter 2.
10. How do the wiseguys get away with stealing cargo from the Queens airport?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry was often treated with disrespect and hatred at home. How do you feel this influenced his becoming a wiseguy? Do you think that it is one of his biggest motivations or a coincidence? In what ways does this motivate and prepare him for a life in the mob? Are these downfalls to blame for these men entering a life of crime or are they simply a part of the typical wiseguy demographic? Is it possible for a wiseguy to be from a rich and well balanced home?
Essay Topic 2
The wiseguys viewed honest workers as suckers who were too afraid to break the rules and reap the many rewards that came from it. Explain why these men had such a distorted view of reality. What blame do they place on society for their actions?
Essay Topic 3
By writing the book in chronological order, the author is able to show the very foundation of Henry's belief system and its ultimate demise. Why do you think the author chose to write the book in this way?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)