|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do sagas focus on?
2. Where did the story told by Emily happen?
3. Where does Basso say the richness of place-names comes from?
4. When does "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories" start?
5. How does Basso describe the discussion between the group and the woman whose brother was sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Louise's brother, and what did the Apaches say?
2. What must ethnographers be cautious of, in "Chapter 3, Speaking With Names?"
3. What happens to children who do not learn to tie places and names?
4. What does Basso claim about the Apache understanding of communication?
5. What does Basso advise people to pay attention to, in "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories?"
6. What can't materialist models not give an explanation of?
7. What does "speaking with names" illustrate?
8. What looks after the Western Apache, according to Basso?
9. What was the story of the Line of White Rocks Extends Up and Out?
10. Where is the Cibecue settlement located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ronnie Lupe and his role in Basso's mapping of place-names.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how children who do not learn to tie places and names with historical tales are affected.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how cultures preserve their history and examine Edward Spicer's argument that despite a love of their history, Western Apaches would not become tribal historians.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)