|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the major narrative genres divided by?
2. What are sagas meant for?
3. What happened to the girl in the story told by the group, in Chapter 3?
4. Where did the story told by Emily happen?
5. What does Basso say almost ceased to exist in anthropology?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at the end of the summer of 1981?
2. What do place-names generate?
3. What does Basso advise people to pay attention to, in "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories?"
4. What does "speaking with names" illustrate?
5. Where is the Cibecue settlement located?
6. What does Basso claim about the Apache understanding of communication?
7. What is a distinct characteristic of the Western Apache, according to Basso?
8. What happens to children who do not learn to tie places and names?
9. How can one understand the landscape according to Basso?
10. What happened to Louise's brother, and what did the Apaches say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ronnie Lupe and his role in Basso's mapping of place-names.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the story of Snakes' Water and discuss its meaning to the Western Apache.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and define the role of anthropology and ethnography in studying and preserving native cultures.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)