|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Lola say that the brother did nothing wrong or openly censure him, according to Basso?
2. What does Basso say is used to expand the imagination?
3. What happened to people that commit immoral deeds in Cibecue's tales?
4. Why can't the Apache be too specific when telling a story, according to Basso?
5. What did Basso use to explain the effect of symbolism on individuals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can't materialist models not give an explanation of?
2. What do place-names generate?
3. What is the strength of the Western Apache, according to Basso?
4. How do local peoples relate to their geography?
5. What does Basso advise people to pay attention to, in "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories?"
6. What looks after the Western Apache, according to Basso?
7. How can cultural constructions be understood, according to Basso?
8. Where is the Cibecue settlement located?
9. What happens to children who do not learn to tie places and names?
10. What is a distinct characteristic of the Western Apache, according to Basso?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how children who do not learn to tie places and names with historical tales are affected.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of place-names in the Western Apache culture, discussing the social and historical aspects of place-names.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Charles and Morley Cromwell in Basso's study of place-names.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)