|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the woman think of her ill brother, according to Basso?
2. What did the people talking about the ill brother use the place-names for?
3. At what elevation can the Cibecue settlement be found?
4. What does Basso say is used to expand the imagination?
5. What was Nick just recovering from in 1981, according to Basso?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the Cibecue settlement located?
2. What is the strength of the Western Apache, according to Basso?
3. How do local peoples relate to their geography?
4. How can one understand the landscape according to Basso?
5. Who was Lola Machuse?
6. What difficulty do linguists have with Western Apache?
7. What is a distinct characteristic of the Western Apache, according to Basso?
8. What happened at the end of the summer of 1981?
9. What does "speaking with names" illustrate?
10. How can cultural constructions be understood, according to Basso?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ronnie Lupe and his role in Basso's mapping of place-names.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the ethnographer when immersed in a foreign culture with a foreign language.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how cultures preserve their history and examine Edward Spicer's argument that despite a love of their history, Western Apaches would not become tribal historians.
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)