|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Basso say is used to expand the imagination?
2. What did Lola provide Basso that allowed him to understand the conversation about the ill brother?
3. Why can't the Apache be too specific when telling a story, according to Basso?
4. What does Basso say historical tales are often about?
5. What does Basso say almost ceased to exist in anthropology?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can one understand the landscape according to Basso?
2. Where is the Cibecue settlement located?
3. How do local peoples relate to their geography?
4. What is the strength of the Western Apache, according to Basso?
5. What does Basso advise people to pay attention to, in "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories?"
6. What happens to children who do not learn to tie places and names?
7. How can cultural constructions be understood, according to Basso?
8. What difficulty do linguists have with Western Apache?
9. What was the story of the Line of White Rocks Extends Up and Out?
10. What does the land make people do, according to the Western Apache?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how industrialism changed the Western Apache in Cibecue.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cognitive associations generated by using place-names and the significance of each.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Charles and Morley Cromwell in Basso's study of place-names.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)