|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Basso say ecological studies cannot fully account for?
2. Whose brother does Basso overhear became ill while visiting Lola?
3. What does Basso say Lola did when she revealed where the brother fell ill?
4. What did Basso's theoretical discoveries help him make a legal case for?
5. What did Basso use to explain the effect of symbolism on individuals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Basso think the Western Apache emphasize the importance of the land?
2. What do younger Apache feel about village life, according to Basso?
3. What can't materialist models not give an explanation of?
4. What looks after the Western Apache, according to Basso?
5. Where is the Cibecue settlement located?
6. How can cultural constructions be understood, according to Basso?
7. What does "speaking with names" illustrate?
8. What does Basso claim about the Apache understanding of communication?
9. What does Basso advise people to pay attention to, in "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories?"
10. Why has Basso used Apache conceptions of land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the hunting metaphor used in "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and define the role of anthropology and ethnography in studying and preserving native cultures.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of place-names in the Western Apache culture, discussing the social and historical aspects of place-names.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)