|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Juniper Tree Stands Alone?
2. Who were the Apache hiding from, according to Keith?
3. What happened to Basso's nose, in "Chapter 1, Quoting the Ancestors"?
4. What does Keith Basso say of the sociology of Goffman?
5. What does Keith Basso say the sense of place is a possession of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the story behind Snakes' Water?
2. In what cultures does place-making occur?
3. What happened to Basso on a Saturday in late June?
4. Who was Charles Henry?
5. How to the Western Apache see knowledge of place?
6. Who was Ronnie Lupe, and what did he suggest?
7. How do the Western Apache see Anglo-American history according to Basso?
8. What does Basso say must happen with locally imagined history, in "Chapter 1, Quoting the Ancestors"?
9. What was the status of the maps as of mid-July?
10. Why did Basso speak with local consultants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the ethnographer when immersed in a foreign culture with a foreign language.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how cultures preserve their history and examine Edward Spicer's argument that despite a love of their history, Western Apaches would not become tribal historians.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Charles and Morley Cromwell in Basso's study of place-names.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)