|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Basso say ethnographers immersed in a foreign culture with a foreign language must be cautious and understanding of, in "Chapter 3, Speaking With Names"?
(a) "Internal realities are created from cultural concepts."
(b) "External realities are created from cultural concepts."
(c) "External realities are destroyed by cultural concepts."
(d) "External realities are created from national concepts."
2. When does "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories" start?
(a) June 1981.
(b) June 1980.
(c) June 1984.
(d) June 1982.
3. What do children become that do not not learn to tie places and names with historical tales?
(a) Intellectualy limited.
(c) Less moral.
(d) More moral.
4. What does Basso say almost ceased to exist in anthropology?
(a) Study of the American Indian place-name systems.
(b) Studies of places.
(c) Field studies.
(d) Good professors.
5. What does Basso say the story might have been?
(a) An elaborate insurance scam.
(b) The truth.
(d) A lie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose brother does Basso overhear became ill while visiting Lola?
2. Who told the story, to the girl on her birthday, of the Apache policeman that acted like a white man?
3. What does Basso say the Western Apache discourse is a product of?
4. What did the girl in the story learn from her misfortune?
5. How many forms of speech did the Cibecue have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a distinct characteristic of the Western Apache, according to Basso?
2. What do place-names generate?
3. Where is the Cibecue settlement located?
4. What does Basso claim about the Apache understanding of communication?
5. What happened at the end of the summer of 1981?
6. What does "speaking with names" illustrate?
7. What happens to children who do not learn to tie places and names?
8. What does the land make people do, according to the Western Apache?
9. What do younger Apache feel about village life, according to Basso?
10. What happened to Louise's brother, and what did the Apaches say?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)