|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who founded the project that the chairman of the White Mountain Apache Tribe suggested to Keith Basso?
(a) The National Map Foundation.
(b) The National Science Foundation.
(c) The National Ethnology Foundation.
(d) The National Sociology Foundation.
2. How many places did the three men travel, according to Chapter 1?
(a) 12 places.
(b) 17 places.
(c) 19 places.
(d) 13 places.
3. What does Keith Basso say the answer to the first question in the book is?
(d) Impossible to tell.
4. What advice from Dudley Patterson does Keith Basso say he followed?
(a) He slept.
(b) He learned.
(c) He left.
(d) He wrote a book.
5. What does Basso say the maps looked like in mid-July?
(a) Littered with shotgun pellets.
(b) A large piece of paper.
(c) An old blanket.
(d) A table cloth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keith Basso say does not have a sense of place?
2. What were two of the places Basso went to explained to him as being?
3. What does Keith Basso say the human attachments to places remain?
4. What does Keith Basso say was easy even without a written history?
5. What does Keith Basso say ethnographers thought of places?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what cultures does place-making occur?
2. What does place-making help construct?
3. How long did Basso's project last?
4. Who was Ronnie Lupe, and what did he suggest?
5. What did Chairman Lupe consider unwise?
6. What does sense of place involve?
7. What does Basso say must happen with locally imagined history, in "Chapter 1, Quoting the Ancestors"?
8. How was the book divided, according to the "Preface?"
9. Who was Morley Cromwell?
10. What was the status of the maps as of mid-July?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)