|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Keith Basso say were in short supply?
(a) Apache speaking elders.
(b) Ethnographers exploring cultural dimensions of places.
(c) Older Apache.
(d) Apache-English dictionnary.
2. What subtle element does Keith Basso say would assert the sense of place?
(a) An absent smell.
(b) A green door.
(c) A friend.
(d) A memory.
3. What did Charles Henry use to downplay the tension during his trip with Basso?
(a) His missing teeth made pronunciation difficult.
(b) He made a joke.
(c) He tried to teach Basso Apache basics.
(d) He started talking in English only.
4. How does Basso say Apache see history as being?
(a) Episodic, personal, subjective, and variable.
(b) Long, personal, subjective, and variable.
(c) Episodic, personal, subjective, and invariable.
(d) Episodic, impersonal, subjective, and variable.
5. According to legend, why were the owners of Shades of Shit forced to stay home?
(a) It was raining.
(b) They refused to share their toilet.
(c) It was snowing.
(d) They refused to share their corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Keith Basso and Charles Henry stand with in May 1979?
2. What does Keith Basso say the sense of place is a possession of?
3. What was Keith Basso's mother's name?
4. What does Keith Basso say the answer to the first question in the book is?
5. How long did Keith Basso's project take?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the book divided, according to the "Preface?"
2. In what cultures does place-making occur?
3. How do the Western Apache see Anglo-American history according to Basso?
4. How long did Basso's project last?
5. What does place-making help construct?
6. When did Keith Basso first visit Cibecue, and what did he do after graduate school?
7. Who was Charles Henry?
8. What did Charles downplay about Basso?
9. Who did Basso receive a grant from?
10. Who was Ronnie Lupe, and what did he suggest?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)