|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Basso say the story might have been?
(a) An elaborate insurance scam.
(b) A lie.
(c) The truth.
2. What was Nick just recovering from in 1981, according to Basso?
(a) The flu.
(b) Back surgery.
(d) A broken arm.
3. What do children become that do not not learn to tie places and names with historical tales?
(a) Intellectualy limited.
(c) More moral.
(d) Less moral.
4. What does Basso say to pay attention to, in "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories"?
(a) The lesson the story is teaching.
(b) Who told the story.
(c) Claims people make about themselves.
5. What does Basso say nearly all the place-names are in the Western Apache Language?
(a) Without meaning.
(b) Complete sentences.
6. Where does Basso say the richness of place-names comes from?
(a) The way they describe individuals.
(b) They way they integrate with maps.
(c) How individuals invest themselves in the landscape.
(d) How individuals always create new ones.
7. How many children did Lola Machuse have?
(a) 8 children.
(b) 4 children.
(c) 9 children.
(d) 5 children.
8. When does "Chapter 2, Stalking with Stories" start?
(a) June 1980.
(b) June 1984.
(c) June 1982.
(d) June 1981.
9. What do younger Apache find village life to be?
(a) A good place to live.
(d) A place to worship.
10. What does Basso say is used to expand the imagination?
(b) Pow Wows.
(d) Smoke tents.
11. What does Nick say Apache stories were made for?
(a) To put to sleep.
(b) To make an impression on the individual.
(c) To entertain.
(d) To humiliate.
12. How does Basso describe the discussion between the group and the woman whose brother was sick?
13. Where did the brother fall ill?
(a) Line of Trees Where You Fell Ill.
(b) His home.
(c) The hospital.
(d) Line of White Rocks Extends Up And Out.
14. Whose brother does Basso overhear became ill while visiting Lola?
15. What does Basso say the Western Apache discourse is a product of?
(b) Interlocking utterances and actions.
(c) Inative syllables.
(d) Utterance and inaction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Basso say generated a wide range of cognitive associations?
2. What does speaking with names produce according to Basso?
3. What happened to the girl in the story told by the group, in Chapter 3?
4. Where did the story told by Emily happen?
5. At what elevation can the Cibecue settlement be found?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)