|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the girl in the story learn from her misfortune?
(a) To act rightly.
(b) To learn from her mistakes.
(c) Not to eat mushrooms.
(d) To trust the elders.
2. What does Basso say ecological studies focus on?
(a) The plants.
(b) The planet.
(c) Systemic level.
3. How did the brother became ill?
(a) He touched a snake skin.
(b) He was bitten by a rat.
(c) He was stung by bees.
(d) He ate mushrooms.
4. What did the people speaking of the ill brother construct, according to Basso?
(a) A strong form of reprimand.
(b) A mild form of praise.
(c) A mild form of reprimand.
(d) A mild form of envy.
5. What type of events does Basso say the Apaches did not have?
(b) Rights to their own land.
(d) Good memory.
6. What does Basso say all human cultures have beliefs about?
(a) What the sun is.
(b) How language works.
(c) How to elect leaders.
(d) Who created them.
7. What did Lola provide Basso that allowed him to understand the conversation about the ill brother?
(a) Police reports.
(b) A picture of the brother.
(c) Some background references.
(d) Access to the hospital.
8. What does Basso say is used to expand the imagination?
(a) Smoke tents.
(d) Pow Wows.
9. What does Basso say of the residents of Cibecue?
(a) They wanted to leave.
(b) They were elderly.
(c) They were poor.
(d) They were eager to talk with each other.
10. Basso says that tales merge elements of _____?
(a) Space and symbols.
(b) Time and space.
(c) Time and symbols.
(d) Time, space, and symbols.
11. What do sagas focus on?
(a) Ancient times.
(b) Fun stories.
(c) Long stories.
(d) Modern times.
12. Whose brother does Basso overhear became ill while visiting Lola?
13. What does Basso say the enforcement of norms occurs through for the Cibecue?
14. What does Basso say the story might have been?
(a) The truth.
(b) A lie.
(c) An elaborate insurance scam.
15. What does Basso say cannot give a full explanation of the connection between American Indian communities and their ecological settings?
(a) Materialist models.
(b) City dwelling models.
(c) American models.
(d) Anthropomorphic models.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nick's comment as Basso left Cibecue?
2. What does Basso say Lola did when she revealed where the brother fell ill?
3. What does Basso say the place-names were used for by the woman whose brother was ill?
4. What do younger Apache find village life to be?
5. What does Basso say can only be studied through the property names and place-naming?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)