|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Keith Basso in 1959?
(a) 17 years old.
(b) 23 years old.
(c) 19 years old.
(d) 24 years old.
2. How many articles does Keith say he wrote on the place he visited in 1959?
(a) 5 articles.
(b) 8 articles.
(c) 6 articles.
(d) 1 article.
3. What does Keith Basso say the human attachments to places remain?
(a) An understudied field.
(b) A well documented fact.
(c) An enigma.
(d) A disputed field.
4. What does Basso argue history is for the Western Apache?
(a) A craft.
(b) Taught by the elders.
(c) Worthy of songs.
5. What is the first question asked in the "Preface"?
(a) Who are Apache?
(b) Why do we exist?
(c) What do people live for?
(d) What do people make of place?
6. What does Keith say about the name Juniper Tree Stands Alone?
(a) It was the same pronunciation in Apache.
(b) It was chosen by an old woman.
(c) It was based on a story of two boys.
(d) It was not known why it was chosen.
7. What does Keith Basso say the first question in the book is as old as?
(a) The discovery of the Apache.
(b) The start of time.
(c) The idea of home.
8. What is the translation of the name of the place Basso and Charles Henry were at?
(a) Small flowers Became Big.
(b) Dead Old Woman Sleeping.
(c) Water Lies With Mud In An Open Container.
(d) River Going Down Between Valley.
9. What was Snakes' Water?
(a) A boot factory.
(b) A small stream.
(c) A large snake pit.
(d) An inactive spring.
10. What does Keith Basso say must be lived as well?
(a) Locally imagined history.
(b) Locally produced plays.
(c) The elder's life.
(d) The stories.
11. What was Satre, according to Keith Basso?
(a) A modern philosopher.
(b) A modern author.
(c) A captivating anti-hero.
(d) A good ethnographer.
12. What does Basso say the maps looked like in mid-July?
(a) A large piece of paper.
(b) Littered with shotgun pellets.
(c) A table cloth.
(d) An old blanket.
13. What does Keith Basso say of the sociology of Goffman?
(a) It was eccentric.
(b) It was simple.
(c) It was dismissive.
(d) It was accurate.
14. What does Keith Basso say each chapter of the book would be centered on?
(a) A different letter.
(b) A different Apache person.
(c) A different tribe.
(d) A different place.
15. What does Keith Basso say the Apache constructions of place reach deeply into?
(a) Their memory.
(b) Other cultural spheres.
(c) The mind.
(d) Their appreaciation of wisdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Keith Basso describe his profession?
2. What happened to Basso's nose, in "Chapter 1, Quoting the Ancestors"?
3. What does Keith Basso argue our sense of place is as natural as?
4. What place does Keith Basso say he visited in the summer 1959?
5. What does Keith Basso say was easy even without a written history?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)