|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Leslie Silko?
(a) A modern author.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A woman lawyer.
(d) An Indian author.
2. What happened to Basso's nose, in "Chapter 1, Quoting the Ancestors"?
(a) He was stung by hornets.
(b) It was shot.
(c) It bled.
(d) It was cut.
3. What does Keith Basso say one cannot do all the time, despite it being captivating?
4. What subtle element does Keith Basso say would assert the sense of place?
(a) A memory.
(b) An absent smell.
(c) A friend.
(d) A green door.
5. What does Basso say names of places tended to indicate?
(a) A good imagination
(b) A larger population.
(c) A smaller clan.
(d) Wetter climates in early generations.
6. What does Keith Basso say was easy even without a written history?
(a) Imagining the past.
(b) Creating compelling stories.
(c) Reinterpreting the past.
(d) Making stories up.
7. How does Basso say Apache see history as being?
(a) Episodic, impersonal, subjective, and variable.
(b) Long, personal, subjective, and variable.
(c) Episodic, personal, subjective, and variable.
(d) Episodic, personal, subjective, and invariable.
8. What were the Apaches looking for that named the place Basso and Charles Henry were at?
(a) A safe place to settle.
(b) A place to plant their crop.
(c) A place to bury their dead.
(d) A place to build a temple.
9. What does Keith Basso say the Apache constructions of place reach deeply into?
(a) The mind.
(b) Their memory.
(c) Other cultural spheres.
(d) Their appreaciation of wisdom.
10. How many years did Keith Basso say he had spent in a village of Western Apaches when he stumbled onto place-names?
(a) 35 years.
(b) 16 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 15 years.
11. What does Charles Henry say was tied to the places that were first created?
(a) Modern speech.
(b) Ancestral speech.
(d) Sign language.
12. When did Edward Spicer say Western Apache would not become tribal historians?
13. What was Keith Basso's mother's name?
(a) Etolia S. Basso.
(b) Sophie S. Basso.
(c) Lila S. Basso.
(d) Margarette S. Basso.
14. How does Keith Basso describe his profession?
(b) A topologist.
15. What does Keith Basso say ethnographers thought of places?
(a) They ignored them.
(b) They over simplified them.
(c) They studied them slowly.
(d) They took them for granted.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many places did the three men travel, according to Chapter 1?
2. What does Basso argue history is for the Western Apache?
3. How long did Basso stay at Charles Henry's house on a break, in "Chapter 1, Quoting the Ancestors"?
4. How old was Charles Henry at the time the book was written?
5. What advice from Dudley Patterson does Keith Basso say he followed?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)