|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Wisdom Sits in Places, Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the people talking about the ill brother use the place-names for?
(a) Make fun of him.
(b) Try to teach him a lesson.
(c) Make conversation.
(d) Comment on his moral conduct.
2. What does Basso say is difficult for linguists to explain?
(a) How Apache language evolved.
(b) The relation between Navajo and Apache languages.
(c) How to translate Apache.
(d) The sequentiality of utterances.
3. What does Keith Basso say places are a part of?
(b) The landscape.
4. How long does Basso say he had known Nick Thompson?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 22 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 20 years.
5. What do younger Apache find village life to be?
(c) A place to worship.
(d) A good place to live.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the value of familiar place come from, according to Basso?
2. What was Snakes' Water named for?
3. What does Basso say the place-names were used for by the woman whose brother was ill?
4. What type of events does Basso say the Apaches did not have?
5. What are sagas meant for?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)