|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Quoting the Ancestors.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Keith Basso say was easy even without a written history?
(a) Reinterpreting the past.
(b) Imagining the past.
(c) Making stories up.
(d) Creating compelling stories.
2. What does Keith Basso say were in short supply?
(a) Apache-English dictionnary.
(b) Apache speaking elders.
(c) Ethnographers exploring cultural dimensions of places.
(d) Older Apache.
3. What does Basso say names of places tended to indicate?
(a) Wetter climates in early generations.
(b) A larger population.
(c) A smaller clan.
(d) A good imagination
4. What does Charles Henry think was disrespectful in Keith Basso?
(a) He didn't speak Apache.
(b) He wanted to learn Apache quickly.
(c) He wanted to see secret places.
(d) He thought he was better than him.
5. What does Keith Basso say ethnographers thought of places?
(a) They studied them slowly.
(b) They ignored them.
(c) They took them for granted.
(d) They over simplified them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Keith Basso say he visited in the summer 1959?
2. How many years did Keith Basso say he had spent in a village of Western Apaches when he stumbled onto place-names?
3. What does Keith Basso say places are a part of?
4. What grants did Keith Basso receive to do his work in Indian country?
5. What is the translation of the name of the place Basso and Charles Henry were at?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)