|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act three, scene one, what do the men get to make their journey home faster?
2. Leontes asks Antigonus if he does not rule his own wife. What is Paulina's reply?
3. Who is Paulina?
4. How does Leontes reassure Polixenes that everything is well in his kingdom?
5. Who does Leontes get to agree to kill Polixenes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Leontes planning to have his revenge on Hermione and Polixenes?
2. Why do Leontes and Perdita not want Paulina to close the curtain on the statue of Hermione?
3. How does the shepherd and Clown become gentlemen?
4. What is the king waiting for before killing the queen?
5. How does Emilia say Hermione is doing in prison?
6. What does Time say in his speech?
7. Why does the queen not ask anyone to take the new baby to the king?
8. What does the old shepherd think when he happens upon the baby?
9. Why does Camillo want to return to Sicilia?
10. What does Paulina do when the guard tells her that no one sees the queen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What actions, emotions, lines and scenes from the play indicate that friendship is a theme that runs throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the weather in the play? Cite specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role do women play in "The Winter's Tale"? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)