|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Leontes imprisons Hermione, who does she take with her?
2. What causes Hermione to give birth early?
3. How many times does Leontes say he visits the graves of his wife and son?
4. What type of play does Shakespeare list "The Winter's Tale" as?
5. Archidamus is a lord of what location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the situation between Clown and Autolycus?
2. Who is Florizel, and where does he spend his time?
3. Who is Autolycus?
4. What is the old shepherd complaining about when he first enters?
5. Why does Antigonus want his daughters sterilized?
6. How does Paulina plan to convince the king of Hermione's innocence?
7. Why does Camillo want to return to Sicilia?
8. When Leontes is told that Polixenes and Camillo escape, what does he do about his other children?
9. How does Camillo describe the shepherd and his estate?
10. What is a soliloquy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, the characters all leave together. Is the ending of the play too neat? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the play to support your answer, answer the following question: How does Shakespeare use foreshadowing in the play?
Essay Topic 3
What role do prophecies and the gods play in the story? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)