|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polixenes tells Hermione that he and Leontes sin because they haven't met whom?
2. Who does Leontes order to take Mamillius away from Hermione?
3. Leontes scolds Antigonus for not keeping his wife in line and says he punishes Paulina how?
4. What does Leontes call for at the beginning of the trial?
5. Who refuses to allow Paulina to see Hermione?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Time say in his speech?
2. What do Autolycus and the gentlemen talk about in Act five, scene two?
3. What are some of the indications that the statue of Hermione is actually Hermione?
4. What is Paulina's response to the king's claim that he has her burnt by fire?
5. What prompts Leontes to say that he is king, and doesn't require any advice?
6. Why does Leontes think that Camillo is either a liar or stupid at the beginning of the play?
7. How does Camillo describe the shepherd and his estate?
8. Where are Cleomenes and Dion, and how long are they gone?
9. In Act one, scene one, how does Camillo explain the kings' inability to visit each other?
10. What function does Time serve?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, the characters all leave together. Is the ending of the play too neat? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How does jealousy function as a motivation for the various characters? Support your answer using specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the weather in the play? Cite specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)