|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leontes call for at the beginning of the trial?
2. What does Hermione whisper in Mamillius' ear before Leontes enters?
3. The regions that Camillo and Archidamus are from are located where, in relation to each other?
4. What quality does Paulina show towards the queen?
5. When Cleomenes says "fertile the isle/the temple much surpassing", what is he referring to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Polixenes think there is something about Perdita that speaks of more noble blood than being born of a shepherd?
2. Why is Perdita nervous about marrying Florizel?
3. What are the comments and questions that the servant and Leontes have about Florizel's arrival in Sicilia?
4. How does the shepherd and Clown become gentlemen?
5. What does Paulina do when the guard tells her that no one sees the queen?
6. What is ironic about the situation between Clown and Autolycus?
7. What does Clown name off in the list of things he needs to buy for the sheep-shearing feast?
8. Why does Antigonus want his daughters sterilized?
9. In Act one, scene one, how does Camillo explain the kings' inability to visit each other?
10. How does Emilia say Hermione is doing in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of Perdita's flowers? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters use costumes and disguises throughout the play. How do the costumes and disguises contribute to the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role do women play in "The Winter's Tale"? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)