|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Archidamus invites Camillo for a visit, what does he say is lacking at his home?
2. Who delivers the young baby to Paulina?
3. What is the theme of Act one, scene one?
4. What type of play does Shakespeare list "The Winter's Tale" as?
5. Why does Hermione not want to ask a lady to show Leontes' daughter to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Leontes to say that he is king, and doesn't require any advice?
2. What is the king waiting for before killing the queen?
3. What does Paulina do when the guard tells her that no one sees the queen?
4. Why is Act one, scene one important?
5. What does Hermione say in Antigonus' dream?
6. How is Leontes planning to have his revenge on Hermione and Polixenes?
7. What does Leontes tell Antigonus to do to the baby, after Antigonus refuses to throw it in the fire?
8. What does Clown name off in the list of things he needs to buy for the sheep-shearing feast?
9. What does the mariner warn Antigonus about?
10. What does Florizel say when Polixenes, in disguise, asks him about his father's role in the marriage between himself and Perdita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Polixenes and Leontes similar characters? Use specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the weather in the play? Cite specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Is Hermione's action, pretending to be dead for so many years, a justifiable reaction to Leontes treatment of her? Why or why not? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)