|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does Leontes send to the Oracle?
2. What quality does Paulina show towards the queen?
3. How does Leontes plan to kill Polixenes?
4. In what city is the Oracle located?
5. Why does Hermione not want to ask a lady to show Leontes' daughter to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the old shepherd complaining about when he first enters?
2. What do Autolycus and the gentlemen talk about in Act five, scene two?
3. What does Paulina do when the guard tells her that no one sees the queen?
4. Why does the queen not ask anyone to take the new baby to the king?
5. What is Paulina's response, when the king asks her husband if he dess not rule her?
6. In Act one, scene one, how does Camillo explain the kings' inability to visit each other?
7. Why does Hermione agree to go with the guards when Leontes orders her to be imprisoned?
8. When Leontes is told that Polixenes and Camillo escape, what does he do about his other children?
9. How does Emilia say Hermione is doing in prison?
10. What is the king waiting for before killing the queen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Polixenes and Leontes similar characters? Use specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What actions, emotions, lines and scenes from the play indicate that friendship is a theme that runs throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of conflict is Leontes engaged in throughout the play? How does this conflict get resolved? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)