|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paulina think causes the king to see his mistake?
2. When Cleomenes says "fertile the isle/the temple much surpassing", what is he referring to?
3. What does Polixenes worry happens to his kingdom if he stays away too long?
4. What does Antigonus tell the king he does to save the life of the infant?
5. Who delivers the young baby to Paulina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What function does Time serve?
2. What happens when Leontes and Polixenes meet each other again, for the first time since Polixenes fled Sicilia?
3. How does Hermione convince Polixenes to stay and extend his visit with Leontes?
4. Why is Perdita nervous about marrying Florizel?
5. What is Paulina's response, when the king asks her husband if he dess not rule her?
6. Why does Camillo want to return to Sicilia?
7. Why does Polixenes not want to let Camillo go?
8. Why do the shepherd and Clown not blame Autolycus for what happens to them?
9. What does the message from the Oracle say?
10. Why does Leontes think that Camillo is either a liar or stupid at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What function does Mamillius serve? He is only present for a short period in the play, so what role does he play? Use specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Is Hermione's action, pretending to be dead for so many years, a justifiable reaction to Leontes treatment of her? Why or why not? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How are Polixenes and Leontes similar characters? Use specific examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)