|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Leontes say he visits the graves of his wife and son?
2. Why does Mamillius fall ill?
3. What is one of the topics of conversation between the men in Act three, scene one?
4. How does Leontes want his wife killed?
5. How many men does Leontes send to the Oracle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Time say about Perdita?
2. What is Paulina's response, when the king asks her husband if he dess not rule her?
3. What does the mariner warn Antigonus about?
4. Why does Leontes think that Camillo is either a liar or stupid at the beginning of the play?
5. When Archidamus invites Camillo to Bohemia, how does Archidamus describe Bohemia?
6. What do Autolycus and the gentlemen talk about in Act five, scene two?
7. Why does Polixenes not want to let Camillo go?
8. What are the charges against Hermione at her trial?
9. In Act one, scene one, how does Camillo explain the kings' inability to visit each other?
10. What happens when Leontes and Polixenes meet each other again, for the first time since Polixenes fled Sicilia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the play, answer the following question: What genre of play is "The Winter's Tale"?
Essay Topic 2
What role do prophecies and the gods play in the story? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, the characters all leave together. Is the ending of the play too neat? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)