|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Paulina?
2. What does Antigonus tell the king he does to save the life of the infant?
3. What does Leontes send men to get from the Oracle?
4. How many men does Leontes send to the Oracle?
5. Polixenes says that, as children, what sin does he and Leontes commit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Leontes alone is his belief that Hermione is guilty of dishonor and adultery?
2. What are some of the indications that the statue of Hermione is actually Hermione?
3. Why does Hermione agree to go with the guards when Leontes orders her to be imprisoned?
4. Why does Antigonus want his daughters sterilized?
5. What is the king waiting for before killing the queen?
6. How does the shepherd and Clown become gentlemen?
7. What does Paulina do, after she reunites Hermione with her family?
8. What prompts Leontes to say that he is king, and doesn't require any advice?
9. What happens when Leontes and Polixenes meet each other again, for the first time since Polixenes fled Sicilia?
10. Why does Polixenes think there is something about Perdita that speaks of more noble blood than being born of a shepherd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do prophecies and the gods play in the story? Cite specific examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the play to support your answer, answer the following question: How does Shakespeare use foreshadowing in the play?
Essay Topic 3
What function does Mamillius serve? He is only present for a short period in the play, so what role does he play? Use specific examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)