|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leontes send men to get from the Oracle?
(a) A prophecy.
(b) A ruling.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A message.
2. Why does Mamillius fall ill?
(a) Due to his mother's absence.
(b) Due to stress.
(c) Due to his father's ranting.
(d) Due to the shame of the situation with his parents.
3. Where is the guard during Paulina and the other lady's visit?
(a) With them the whole time.
(b) With them at the beginning, and then he leaves.
(c) Out in the hall.
(d) Outside the door.
4. What does everyone think about Hermione, except her husband?
(a) That she is a good mother.
(b) That she is a good Queen.
(c) That she is innocent.
(d) That she is friendly.
5. Act one, scene one sets up the ______ that the play is based on.
6. Who does Leontes consider Hermione's accomplice in her affair?
(a) Her handmaiden.
(b) Her ladies.
7. What does Hermione do when she hears the news that Mamillius dies?
(a) She faints.
(b) She cries.
(c) She begins a lament.
(d) She runs away.
8. When Leontes sees Paulina, what does he tell her to do?
(b) Talk with him.
(c) Sit down.
9. Why does Leontes first get angry with Camillo?
(a) For not telling him that his wife is unfaithful.
(b) For not telling him that Hermione is pregnant.
(c) For not telling him that they are out of wine.
(d) For not telling him that Polixenes is staying.
10. What does Polixenes worry happens to his kingdom if he stays away too long?
(a) He worries something bad happens.
(b) He worries his Queen dies.
(c) He worries he loses his throne.
(d) He worries his crops die.
11. How does the Oracle characterize Leontes?
(a) A petty husband.
(b) A bad leader.
(c) A jealous tyrant.
(d) A mad king.
12. How does Leontes want his wife killed?
(a) By drowning.
(b) By beheading.
(c) By impailment.
(d) By fire.
13. How do the men, in Act three, scene one, say the journey to the Oracle is?
(c) Full of bad weather.
(d) Filled with riches.
14. When Leontes imprisons Hermione, who does she take with her?
(b) Her ladies.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A doctor.
15. How many characters speak in Act three, scene one?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leontes reassure Polixenes that everything is well in his kingdom?
2. Leontes scolds Antigonus for not keeping his wife in line and says he punishes Paulina how?
3. When is "The Winter's Tale" first published?
4. Who reads, at the trial, what the Oracle says?
5. Who is Maxillius' father?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)