|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does everyone think about Hermione, except her husband?
(a) That she is a good Queen.
(b) That she is innocent.
(c) That she is friendly.
(d) That she is a good mother.
2. The king is the only person who believes that Hermione is what?
3. What does "Apollo's great divine seal" refer to?
(a) The seal on the message from the Oracle.
(b) The prophecy from the Oracle.
(c) The expression of Apollo's pleasure with the Oracle.
(d) The ruling from the Oracle.
4. How long does Polixenes stay with Leontes and Hermione?
(a) Two years.
(b) 18 months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) One year.
5. How does Leontes reassure Polixenes that everything is well in his kingdom?
(a) Leontes doesn't reassure Polixenes that everything is well.
(b) Leontes reads Polixenes a letter from his Queen saying everything is well.
(c) Leontes has a messenger tell Polixenes that everything is well.
(d) Leontes says that they are notified the day before that everything is well.
6. Act one, scene one sets up the ______ that the play is based on.
7. What does Polixenes invoke to get Camillo to tell him Leontes' plan?
(b) A promise.
(c) An oath.
8. What does Paulina think causes the king to see his mistake?
(a) Hearing how Hermione is doing.
(b) Talking to the king.
(c) Seeing his new daughter.
(d) Seeing Hermione.
9. Where is the guard during Paulina and the other lady's visit?
(a) Out in the hall.
(b) With them the whole time.
(c) Outside the door.
(d) With them at the beginning, and then he leaves.
10. What is the theme of Act one, scene one?
11. When Cleomenes says "fertile the isle/the temple much surpassing", what is he referring to?
(a) The Oracle.
(b) The temple of the gods.
(c) The temple of Zeus.
(d) The church yard.
12. What type of play does Shakespeare list "The Winter's Tale" as?
(a) A dramedy.
(b) A romance.
(c) A comedy.
(d) A drama.
13. Camillo and Archidamus' kings are long overdue for what?
(a) A conference with each other.
(b) A trade agreement with each other.
(c) A visit with each other.
(d) A war with each other.
14. Leontes asks Antigonus if he does not rule his own wife. What is Paulina's reply?
(a) That he does if she is acting dishonorably.
(b) That she has free will, and no one rules her.
(c) That he does not.
(d) That he does if she lets him.
15. Who does Paulina assure that she protects from punishment for allowing her to take the baby out of the prison?
(c) The guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men, in Act three, scene one, want the Oracle to say?
2. How many times does Leontes say he visits the graves of his wife and son?
3. Who does Leontes consider Hermione's accomplice in her affair?
4. What quality does Paulina show towards the queen?
5. What does the king live without, according to the Oracle, if that which is lost be not found?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)