|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the king that the queen dies?
(a) A servant.
(b) A lady.
(d) A lord.
2. What does Leontes send men to get from the Oracle?
(a) A message.
(b) A prophecy.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A ruling.
3. What does "Apollo's great divine seal" refer to?
(a) The seal on the message from the Oracle.
(b) The prophecy from the Oracle.
(c) The expression of Apollo's pleasure with the Oracle.
(d) The ruling from the Oracle.
4. What type of play does Shakespeare list "The Winter's Tale" as?
(a) A drama.
(b) A dramedy.
(c) A romance.
(d) A comedy.
5. What does everyone think about Hermione, except her husband?
(a) That she is friendly.
(b) That she is a good Queen.
(c) That she is innocent.
(d) That she is a good mother.
6. Act three, scene one offers more support for the proposition that the king is the only person who thinks that Hermione is what?
(b) A bad mother.
(d) A witch.
7. At the end of Act three, scene one, what do the men get to make their journey home faster?
(a) A boat.
(b) More oarsmen.
(c) Fresh horses.
(d) A carriage.
8. How does Archidamus plan on making up for what is lacking at his home?
(a) With great books and love for their friends.
(b) With great scenery and drinks.
(c) With drinks and food.
(d) With drinks and love for their friends.
9. How many times does Leontes say he visits the graves of his wife and son?
(a) Twice a day.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Three times a day.
10. What do the men, in Act three, scene one, want the Oracle to say?
(a) That Hermione lives.
(b) That Hermione leaves the country.
(c) That Hermione divorces the king.
(d) That Hermione is not guilty.
11. What does Hermione say makes her life not worth living?
(a) That her husband doesn't believe her to be honorable.
(b) That her husband wants her dead.
(c) That the people believe she is a traitor.
(d) That she is seperated from her children.
12. What is one of the topics of conversation between the men in Act three, scene one?
(a) The upcoming trial.
(b) The upcoming death.
(c) The upcoming sacrifice.
(d) The upcoming marriage.
13. In what city is the Oracle located?
14. When Cleomenes says "fertile the isle/the temple much surpassing", what is he referring to?
(a) The temple of Zeus.
(b) The temple of the gods.
(c) The church yard.
(d) The Oracle.
15. What causes Hermione to give birth early?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men, in Act three, scene one, say the journey to the Oracle is?
2. What does Polixenes worry happens to his kingdom if he stays away too long?
3. When Leontes sees Paulina, what does he tell her to do?
4. What does Hermione deny after Leontes accuses her of having an affair?
5. What feeling does Leontes have towards Polixenes after seeing him touch his wife's arm?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)