|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the voice in Rand's head?
2. What is the status of damane in the Seanchan world?
3. About whom does the Seeker of Truth question Bethamin?
4. Why do no people inhabit the place Elayne and Egwene visit?
5. What do many people think is killing people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How Mat preparing to leave Ebou Dar?
2. What does Bethamin think of Tessi and how does Bethamin decide to treat Tessi?
3. Where is Tylin going when Mat rides with her to the city gates?
4. Where is Rand after the assassination attempt and how is he rescued?
5. What does Mat discover about the damane collar?
6. What has Birgitte been busy doing that Mellar reports?
7. Where do Elayne and Egwene visit in the dream world and what do they do?
8. What do Cadsuane and her party examine inside the Hall of Counsels?
9. What does Rand hear about Far Madding and what are his plans for staying in the city?
10. What upsets Barsalla about the source-blocking device when he is meeting with Cadsuane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Winter's Heart" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Winter's Heart" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that "Winter's Heart" is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or ideas that are not a part of the "real" world. In the case of "Winter's Heart", much of the setting may seem familiar to the reader (i.e. there are woods, mountains, rivers, oceans, etc.), though there are new ideas and terms to learn.
Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of "Winter's Heart" that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in "Winter's Heart".
2. Define the words as used in in "Winter's Heart"'s world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of "Winter's Heart". Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in "Winter's Heart"? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from "Winter's Heart"? Which ones?
Essay Topic 3
One of the prophesies about the Dragon Reborn is that Aes Sedai will swear loyalty to the Dragon Reborn, which happens in an earlier book, "Lord of Chaos". Rand hates being told what he needs to do by Aes Sedai who cite prophecy.
Discuss the following: Trace and analyze the occurrences of prophesy in "Winter's Heart". Many fantasy novels include some "prophesy" in their storyline. Why do you think this is? Do you think Rand knowing about the prophesies about him will help him? How could it hinder him? How does knowing prophesy in any book (or real life) perhaps make it become "self-fulfilling"?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)