|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people in camp believe of Perrin?
2. In Chapter 1, from where do Perrin and his forces depart?
3. Why does Faile almost freeze during the march?
4. Why is Demandred angry?
5. In Chapter 2, what are two of Perrin's leaders doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor starts around the camp and how does Perrin react?
2. Who is on the way to Ebou Dar and for what purpose?
3. Describe the meeting among several of the Forsaken.
4. What makes Perrin Aybara think there is something wrong as he approaches his camp?
5. What does Perrin do as he arrives at camp, and what does he learn about what caused the problem?
6. Where is Perrin when he wakes from the wolf dream and what does he need?
7. What does Rolan do when Faile is too slow and why does that put her in more danger?
8. What do Elayne and Nynaeve discuss?
9. Describe the scouting party's activities.
10. With whom has Perrin Aybara been meeting and how does he feel about what transpires in the beginning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in "Winter's Heart", including some of Rand's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in "Winter's Heart" and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Rand and his responses to them. Rand states repeatedly that he is only trying to fulfill his role as the Dragon Reborn and is not interested in politics. Do you think this is true or not? Explain.
3. Discuss fully with examples. Include a discussion of how Rand could use manipulation/politics to smooth his way.
Essay Topic 2
Wise Ones of the Aiel are similar to Aes Sedai in that they are able to wield the One Power. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Wise Ones to Aes Sedai. Would you rather join the ranks of the Wise Ones or Aes Sedai if you knew you could channel? Explain fully.
2. All Wise Ones are not good, nor are all Aes Sedai good. What are the increased dangers of those who can channel being Darkfriends versus just normal human beings? Why do you think there more Darkfriends among the Aes Sedai than among the Wise Ones?
Essay Topic 3
Often, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and often the other way. Some books seem to balance the two.
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why?
5. What type of plot do you think "Winter's Heart" is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)