|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks Mat in a secluded alley?
2. In whose tent is Perrin when he wakes?
3. Of what nationality is Shalon?
4. How do the Seanchan intimidate resistors?
5. What does Faile learn about her situation from the servant in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom has Perrin Aybara been meeting and how does he feel about what transpires in the beginning?
2. What does Elayne question Reene Harfor about and what is her reply?
3. Who is on the way to Ebou Dar and for what purpose?
4. Describe the meeting among several of the Forsaken.
5. What transpires between Mat and Juilin as he is leaving the barracks at the palace?
6. What does Harine ask of Cadsuane and what is her response?
7. What does Rand give into Nynaeve's safekeeping?
8. How do the Shaido view their captives?
9. What is Faile's biggest concern while marching? Why?
10. What makes Perrin Aybara think there is something wrong as he approaches his camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whom do you think Rand trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Whom does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples. Rand supports Mazrim Taim in opening a school for men who can channel.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly describe and analyze the school for men who can channel and discuss if you think the school is necessary for Rand's goals. Is it wise to train men who can channel knowing that saidin is tainted and many if not all, men go insane after regularly using the One Power. Take a stance and defend it with examples.
2. How does Rand's foresight in granting amnesty to men who can channel and setting up the school influence the action in "Winter's Heart"? How do Rand and other major characters use men who can channel in "Winter's Heart"?
3. What do you think will be the impact of Rand cleansing saidin at the end of "Winter's Heart" in forthcoming books in the series?
Essay Topic 2
Alanna "bonds" Rand, an action that infuriates him.
Discuss the following: What does it mean when an Aes Sedai "bonds" someone? How long does a bond last? Can someone get rid of a bond once it is in place? What are the advantages of bonding? The disadvantages? Why do you think Alanna is furious that Rand allows Min, Elayne, and Aviendha to bond with him? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the three women all being bonded to Rand?
Essay Topic 3
As in many fantasy novels, magic is an inherent part of a few of the characters and can be wielded by other characters, though not as an inherent aspect of their nature.
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of magic/channeling source in "Winter's Heart". Who possesses the ability to channel source as an inherent aspect of their nature? How does the inequality between those who can channel and those who can affect the plot of "Winter's Heart"?
2. Why do you think magic exists in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" without any magic as a part of the storyline? Why?
3. Would you desire to possess the ability to use magic if there were such a talent in our world? Why? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of possessing such an ability?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)