|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nynaeve insist upon going?
2. What do people in camp believe of Perrin?
3. What is Birgitte doing when Rand and his group encounter her?
4. What is a gai'shain?
5. What do the other female captives do that Faile does not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scouting party's activities.
2. What does Harine ask of Cadsuane and what is her response?
3. Why is Perrin in the wolf dream and what does he almost do that he regrets?
4. What happens to Elayne after her midday meal?
5. What is Faile's biggest concern while marching? Why?
6. What news does Elayne learn about Rand from Halwin?
7. What rumor starts around the camp and how does Perrin react?
8. What does Rand give into Nynaeve's safekeeping?
9. Why does Perrin get upset with the Wise Ones and what does he finally do?
10. What bargain does Therava offer Faile, Alliandre, and Maighdin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book.
Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Winter's Heart" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you did not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout "Winter's Heart". What are symbols of the theme? Who is most powerful? Least powerful? Does power rest in the hands of both good and evil characters? Do the "good" characters always use power in a beneficial way?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout "Winter's Heart". What are the properties of magic? Can anyone wield magic? What are the limitations of magic? Is magic considered a positive or negative attribute? Or does it depend upon who is using magic?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout "Winter's Heart". Who are evil? Is is always clear? Are evil people always evil? Do "good" people ever do "evil" actions? How do evil characters hide among those fighting for the good?
Essay Topic 3
Jordan treats the world of dreams as an actual world where what happens there can affect people when not in the dream world; for example, if one is killed in the dream world, they are dead in "real life."
Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and analyze the wolf dream and what Perrin does in it.
2. Describe and analyze Tel'Aran'Rhiod (the dream world) and how it impacts the plot in "Winter's Heart". Why do you think Jordan includes the wolf dream and Tel'Aran'Rhiod in his Wheel of Time series?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)