|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lia do that appalls her?
2. Why is Lia proud of herself?
3. Why does Lia get out of bed in the middle of the night?
4. What does Lia do instead of taking sleeping pills?
5. Where does Lia find her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lia goes to get pain medication for Emma?
2. What does Lia intend to tell Elijah and does she do so?
3. Describe the damage to Cassie's body as a result of her eating disorder.
4. What does Jennifer say to Lia that prompts Lia to really talk to Dr. Parker?
5. When is Lia allowed to go home and what does she feel is humorous about the situation?
6. What does Lia do that causes Emma to become hysterical?
7. Why does Lia's father enrage Lia?
8. What happens as a result of Lia eating the cupcakes?
9. What does Emma ask Lia when Emma finds Lia crying in the bathroom?
10. What does Lia want to know about Cassie and what does she have to do to gain the knowledge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "Wintergirls"? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "Wintergirls", including why you believe it is indeed foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from the text and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes "Wintergirls" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Lia. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Cassie. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Elijah. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)