|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character?
2. When Dexter played golf in a foursome, who was not one of the players?
3. What had Dexter hoped Judy would wear at their first dinner?
4. How does the main character give himself away while watching the girl interact with her nurse?
5. How does Mr. Jones describe the main character in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dexter's impression of the dinner at Judy's house in Part 3?
2. What is the financial state of most of the caddies at Sherry Island Golf Club?
3. Why does Dexter not harbor any hard feelings toward Judy even though he is unable to maintain a relationship with her?
4. How does Dexter respond after Judy says, "I wish you'd marry me"?
5. Why is Judy described as having "the most direct and unprincipled personality" with which Dexter had ever come in contact?
6. Why does Devlin say Judy will not get a divorce?
7. What is Judy's mood like at the dinner in Part 3?
8. How does the first "official" meeting between Dexter and Judy go?
9. What reasons did Judy give for ending her relationship with Dexter in Part 5?
10. What did Dexter intend to do at the end of Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dexter Green is the main character of Winter Dreams.
1. How has Dexter changed from the young boy caddying in Part 1 to the successful businessman in Part 6?
2. In what ways has Dexter not changed at all?
3. How does Dexter's choice of college affect his changes?
Essay Topic 2
At several points in this story, the plot seems to be pushed by coincidences.
1. Dexter and Judy often end up at the same dances, why did they meet in the obscure way they did on the open lake at night--instead of a more reasonable location like a dance?
2. Dexter learns of Judy's fading beauty from a man from Detroit. What is taken from the story if Dexter were to learn his information from someone in Black Bear?
3. Had these two events taken place differently, could the story have reached the same conclusion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dexter is offered a free ride to a local State university, but he turns it down to head east to an older, more prestigious university.
1. How would Dexter's life have been different if he had gone to the State university? Would he still have been successful at business?
2. How would his life had stayed the same? Would he still have a shot with Judy?
3. What does Dexter learn in college that most affects the rest of his life?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)