|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A short while after getting into his business, Dexter had how many branches?
2. In what town was Dexter born?
(a) St. Paul.
3. Where do Dexter and Judy go after their dinner?
(a) Judy's bedroom.
(b) The golf course.
(c) The sun-porch.
(d) The dock.
4. How does the narrator describe the girl's looks?
(a) She was alright.
(b) She was attractive, but too skinny.
(c) She was arrestingly beautiful.
(d) She was ugly as sin.
5. What troubled Dexter when he was in college?
(b) Missing his family.
(c) Lack of money.
(d) Difficulty studying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile is used to describe how Dexter's heart turned over?
2. Where does the main character tell the girl the golf teacher is?
3. What is the name of the Golf Club?
4. Who does Judy say won't be joining her and Dexter for dinner?
5. How does the main character give himself away while watching the girl interact with her nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dexter welcome the war?
2. What is the financial state of most of the caddies at Sherry Island Golf Club?
3. What is meant when Dexter is described as "hard minded" in Part 5?
4. What does Dexter mean at the end of Part 6 when he says, "That thing will come back no more?"
5. Why did Judy leave the man she was with earlier in the day before she and Dexter had dinner in Part 3?
6. What do the old men in town mean when they say, "Now there's a boy?"
7. In Part 4 it says, "[Dexter] had been hardened against jealousy long before." What caused him to be "hardened against jealousy?"
8. What is the lake like when Dexter swims out to the raft in Part 2?
9. How does the first "official" meeting between Dexter and Judy go?
10. Why is Judy described as having "the most direct and unprincipled personality" with which Dexter had ever come in contact?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)