|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Dexter hear when he relaxes on the raft?
(a) A guitar.
(b) An organ.
(c) A violin.
(d) A piano.
2. What had Dexter expected before dinner at Judy's house?
(a) H'or d'oeuvres
(b) A kiss.
(c) A cocktail.
(d) A walk on the beach.
3. According to Dexter, to be careless in dress and manner required more confidence than what?
(a) To go barefoot.
(b) To run for president.
(c) To be careful.
(d) An ox.
4. When the snow melts, where does the water run?
(a) Lake Michigan.
(b) Black Bear Lake.
(c) The tee-box on the ninth hole.
(d) The Mississippi River.
5. What had Dexter hoped Judy would wear at their first dinner?
(a) Something more conservative.
(b) Something he had bought for her.
(c) Someting more revealing.
(d) Something more elaborate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who approaches Dexter in the raft want to know?
2. What does the girl who hit the golf ball say when her partner came over the hill? "I'd have gone on the green except that. . . "
3. Where does the main character's father's grocery store rank?
4. Who does Judy say won't be joining her and Dexter for dinner?
5. What does Judy say she fully intended to do to some of the poor people she dated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Dexter caddy for the young girl in Part 1?
2. Why did Judy leave the man she was with earlier in the day before she and Dexter had dinner in Part 3?
3. Why did Dexter not care about hurting Irene or Irene's parents?
4. How does Dexter learn that Devlin knows Judy?
5. What does Dexter mean at the end of Part 6 when he says, "That thing will come back no more?"
6. How does Dexter feel about Judy's parents not being able to join then for dinner in Part 3?
7. What is the lake like when Dexter swims out to the raft in Part 2?
8. Describe Irene Scheerer.
9. What is meant when Dexter is described as "hard minded" in Part 5?
10. Describe the events that lead up to Mr. T. A. Hedrick getting struck with a golf ball.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)