|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Dexter unable to stamp on his mind?
(a) Many of his accounts at the laundry.
(b) Irene's address.
(c) Judy's phone number.
(d) Irene's grief.
2. How did outside attitude on Dexter's situation with Irene feel to him?
3. In Part 5, what does the narrator say Dexter is indifferent toward?
(a) Popular opinion.
(b) His friend's concerns.
(c) Judy's feelings.
(d) Irene's feelings.
4. What did Judy say she didn't want to do to Dexter?
(a) Marry him.
(b) Break his heart.
(c) Go to New York.
(d) Take him away from Irene.
5. How did the war make Dexter feel?
(a) Worried that he may be drafted.
(b) Sad for the loss of his friends.
(c) Liberated from webs of tangled emotion.
(d) Anxious to help out.
6. In Part 6, how long has it been since Dexter has been to Black Bear?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Five months.
(d) Five years.
7. In Part 5, Dexter is described as being what?
(a) A lover.
(b) Soft hearted.
(d) Hard minded.
8. When leaving the dance with a girl, what does it take effort for Dexter to force himself to do?
(a) Take her to a hotel.
(b) Take her home.
(c) Return to the dance.
(d) Start the car.
9. When asked if Judy runs around, what does Devlin say?
(a) He doen't know.
(b) Yes, all the time.
(c) He doubts it, but she may.
(d) No, she stays at home.
10. When Dexter goes to Irene's house, why does her mother say she has gone upstairs?
(a) She does not wish to see Dexter again.
(b) She has to wash her hair.
(c) She has a splitting headache.
(d) She has to change cloths.
11. What changed Dexter's plans for his life at the end of Part 5?
(d) The economy.
12. In Part 4, who is described as having the most direct and unprincipled personality?
(c) Mr. Jones.
13. When Dexter rests on his lounge after Devlin leaves his office, what does he see through the window?
(a) Devlin getting into a cab.
(b) A woman that looks like Judy.
(c) The New York sky-line.
14. What does Devlin say Judy was when he first met her?
(a) A great beauty.
(b) A lonely girl.
(c) A pretty girl.
(d) A sweet girl.
15. When Dexter is walking the streets at night in Part 4, what simile is made for the darkness?
(a) Damp as rain.
(b) Cold as ice.
(c) Dark as night.
(d) Complete as a puzzle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Devlin from?
2. How does the narrator describe Judy's confidence in Part 4?
3. Who does Devlin say Judy married?
4. Where did Dexter intend to move at the end of Part 5?
5. According to the narrator in Part 4, what entertained Judy?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)