|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Dexter say he has?
(a) Enough to retire.
(b) Enough to get by.
(c) More than anyone his age.
(d) Very little.
2. Who does Judy say won't be joining her and Dexter for dinner?
(a) Mr. Hart.
(b) The butler.
(c) Father and Mother.
(d) Her boyfriend.
3. How does the narrator describe the girl's looks?
(a) She was attractive, but too skinny.
(b) She was arrestingly beautiful.
(c) She was ugly as sin.
(d) She was alright.
4. What does the main character dream of doing at the golf course in the winter?
(a) Living in the clubhouse.
(c) Building an igloo.
5. What is the name of the best grocery store?
(a) The Rim.
(b) The Tire.
(c) The Hub.
(d) The Wheel.
6. What is the first thing the main character unconsciously does because of his winter dreams?
(a) Quits caddying.
(b) Goes skiing.
(c) Goes to college.
(d) Enters a golf tounament.
7. The simile made about the winters is that they "shut down like the white. . ."
(a) Trunk of a car.
(b) Snow-cap of a mountain.
(c) Lid of a box.
(d) Golf balls on the green.
8. Where does the main character tell the girl the golf teacher is?
(a) He's at the store.
(b) He's giving a lesson.
(c) He quit.
(d) He's home sick.
9. What did people like to say about Dexter when he returned to Black Bear?
(a) "I wish he'd leave."
(b) "Now there's a boy."
(c) "Who is that boy?"
(d) "Where has he been?"
10. A short while after getting into his business, Dexter had how many branches?
11. What name does the nurse give for the girl?
(a) Miss Jackson.
(b) Miss Jones.
(c) Miss Green.
(d) Miss Judy.
12. What does Judy say she fully intended to do to some of the poor people she dated?
(a) Break their hearts.
(b) Call them sometime.
(c) Marry them.
(d) Have them arrested.
13. In what state does Chapter 1 take place?
(d) New York.
14. What is Dexter afraid he is doing to Judy during their after dinner conversation?
(a) Not moving quickly enough.
(b) Scaring her.
(c) Moving too quick.
(d) Boring her.
15. Dexter says his career is largely a matter of what?
(c) Taking advantage of the weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. When out on the boat, what does Judy invite Dexter to do the next day?
2. Who does Dexter envision in the summer room and on the sun-porch?
3. What can Dexter hear when he relaxes on the raft?
4. When Dexter sold his business, where did he move?
5. Who does the person who approaches Dexter while in the raft say is waiting at the house?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)