|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How cold do the natives say it gets in The Yukon?
2. What is the native man doing in Koyuk?
3. Why does it seem like Rainy Pass should be difficult to run?
4. What do all mushers get if they finish the race?
5. What does another musher say when Gary leaves the Finger Lake checkpoint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of setting in the book. Include a discussion of time and at least four places.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Gary conveys his ignorance in "Beginnings", "Dogs from Hell", "Major Wrecks", "Pre-Race", and during the race. Why do you think he shares his ignorance with the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's writing style. Be sure to discuss the person he uses, the tone, and writing techniques that he uses. What is the overall effect for the reader?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)