|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gary stop before reaching Unalakleet?
2. Which of these mountains must be crossed between Koyuk and Nome?
3. What does the old man in Unalakleet say to Gary?
4. What is the distance between Shaktolik and Koyuk?
5. At the end of the book, who does the doctor see right before he sees Gary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a summary of the book. Include highlights of training, highlights of Gary's first race, and Gary's overall experience with the race. Weave the text into a coherent essay with distinct paragraphs and with transitions.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use humor to convey his story? Discuss how he uses humor with Ruth, other mushers, and himself.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sacrifices made for the race by Gary, the dogs, Ruth, and Gary's son. Do you think they would say the sacrifices were worth it?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)