|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the buffalo doing in The Burn?
2. What is Gary's initial experience with Rainy Pass?
3. Where does Gary finally get his first real sleep?
4. How many Iditarod teams receive prize money?
5. In the last chapter, where is Gary when he first sees the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Gary's relationships with Cookie and Devil. How does Gary communicate with each of them, and how do Cookie and Devil communicate with Gary? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use humor to convey his story? Discuss how he uses humor with Ruth, other mushers, and himself.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use writing to convey emotion? Discuss his techniques for conveying emotion in "Prelude", "Pre-Race", "Dalzell Gorge and the Burn", "Don's Cabin", and "An End."
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)