|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Gary to get to Alaska?
2. According to Gary, what is "the be-all and end-all of running dogs on the Iditarod"?
3. What does Devil do when Gary says, "Hi"?
4. What is Gary's number for the race?
5. What is one mistake that Gary makes right before the race starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gary, what are "problem" dogs?
2. What happens when Gary arrives at Shageluk?
3. What terrifies Gary during his run in the first snow?
4. What is the challenge of running from Koyuk to Nome?
5. In "An End," what is the difference between Gary's version of a normal life and his doctor's version?
6. Why is Gary horrified when he first views Dalzell Gorge?
7. Describe the moose encounter at The Burn.
8. Why does Gary think that it's almost impossible to "see wild thinking?"
9. How does the red-bearded musher in "Alaska" react when his lead dog bites Gary?
10. Why does Gary think The Interior resembles another planet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gary's relationship with his dogs. How does it evolve over time? Discuss Gary's relationship with his dogs when he used them for trapping and hunting, after he lived with the dogs, during his first Iditarod, and in "An End."
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the biggest mistakes Gary makes while running dogs? Include mistakes he makes while training, as well as those he makes during the race.
Essay Topic 3
Gary has a relationship with all of his dogs, but his relationship with Cookie is particularly strong. Give at least four examples of Gary's relationship with Cookie.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)