|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Gary to get to Alaska?
2. What does Ruth say to Gary after his skunk encounter in "Major Wrecks"?
3. What does Gary see right after he unzips his sleeping bag and stands up at the end of the Prelude?
4. What happens to the moose on the trapping trail?
5. How do the dogs react when Marge enters the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the book, what does Gary ask his friend to do? Why?
2. What "absolute fundamental knowledge" scares Gary at the end of the Prelude?
3. What happens when Gary asks the doctor, "Is there a time?"
4. Describe how Gary and his team descend into Dalzell Gorge.
5. What goes wrong for Gary between the start of the race and the time he rejoins the trail?
6. After Gary starts back from the wrong trail outside Anchorage, he sees "the extent of the damage." What does he mean?
7. What is Gary's dilemma about helping the other team at the beginning of the race? What does he decide to do?
8. Why do you think the chapter is called "An End"?
9. What does Gary do to "become dog?"
10. What have the mushers NOT been told about Happy Canyon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which three portions of the race do you think Gary would consider most mentally challenging? Fully support each of your choices.
Essay Topic 2
What positive experiences does Gary take away from his experience training for and running of the Iditarod? Discuss at least four.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the biggest mistakes Gary makes while running dogs? Include mistakes he makes while training, as well as those he makes during the race.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)