|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during Gary's second night in the kennel?
2. What does Ruth say about running the dogs after the first snow?
3. According to Gary, what is the race primarily about?
4. How many other teams follow Gary onto the trapping trail?
5. What becomes Gary's mantra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gary's dilemma about helping the other team at the beginning of the race? What does he decide to do?
2. What is the challenge of running from Koyuk to Nome?
3. How does the snow accumulate in northern Minnesota?
4. What have the mushers NOT been told about Happy Canyon?
5. Describe the moose encounter at The Burn.
6. In "Finger Lake," how does Gary justify eating the meat that has mixed with the dog chow?
7. In "Alaska," what does Gary mean when he writes, "Sleep died early"?
8. Describe the manner in which Gary and his team make it down Happy Canyon.
9. Describe Gary's run in The Yukon.
10. How cold does it get during the Yukon part of the race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the author chooses to begin the book with a foreshadowing incident? Give at least three possible reasons and fully support each.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's writing style. Be sure to discuss the person he uses, the tone, and writing techniques that he uses. What is the overall effect for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What positive experiences does Gary take away from his experience training for and running of the Iditarod? Discuss at least four.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)