|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Gary shoot the beaver in "Beginnings" after he aims his gun?
2. In the Prelude Gary writes, "The difficulty came because of ____________."
3. What happens to Gary's food at Finger Lake?
4. Where are the dogs when Gary sleeps in the Prelude?
5. How often should a dog's feet be examined while running the Iditarod?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the challenge of running from Koyuk to Nome?
2. According to Gary, what are "problem" dogs?
3. What is Gary's appearance when he enters the cafe at Nikolai?
4. Describe the moose encounter at The Burn.
5. What happens when Gary asks the doctor, "Is there a time?"
6. What happens as Gary and his team are leaving Ophir?
7. How do the people in Alaska help Gary?
8. In "Finger Lake," how does Gary justify eating the meat that has mixed with the dog chow?
9. What have the mushers NOT been told about Happy Canyon?
10. Describe the interchange between Gary and the old man in Unalakleet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What positive experiences does Gary take away from his experience training for and running of the Iditarod? Discuss at least four.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use humor to convey his story? Discuss how he uses humor with Ruth, other mushers, and himself.
Essay Topic 3
Which three parts of the race do you think Gary would say are most challenging? Why?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)