|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the team gets to the end of the driveway to run in the first snow of the season?
2. What is something Gary does NOT ask at the pre-race rookie meeting?
3. When does the Prelude take place?
4. What is one mistake that Gary makes right before the race starts?
5. What becomes Gary's mantra?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the chapter is called "An End"?
2. What goes wrong for Gary between the start of the race and the time he rejoins the trail?
3. According to Gary, what are "problem" dogs?
4. Describe the moose encounter at The Burn.
5. What happens when Gary arrives at Shageluk?
6. What paradox of the race does Gary write about in "Alaska"?
7. What "absolute fundamental knowledge" scares Gary at the end of the Prelude?
8. What shape is Gary in when he reaches the town of Nikolai?
9. In the Prelude, what warning signs of the coming storm does Gary miss?
10. Describe Gary's fear when he learns his diagnosis in "An End."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gary's relationship with his dogs. How does it evolve over time? Discuss Gary's relationship with his dogs when he used them for trapping and hunting, after he lived with the dogs, during his first Iditarod, and in "An End."
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Gary's second Iditarod run was different from his first run? Give specific examples of at least three things he would probably do differently. Fully support your choices.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sacrifices made for the race by Gary, the dogs, Ruth, and Gary's son. Do you think they would say the sacrifices were worth it?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)