|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Canadian dogs remind Ruth of what?
2. What does Gary see right after he unzips his sleeping bag and stands up at the end of the Prelude?
3. How do the dogs react when Marge enters the camp?
4. What does the command "Haw" mean?
5. What does Gary write is the most important fact about skunks when running dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the chapter is called "An End"?
2. What things are discussed during the musher meetings?
3. What happens when Gary asks the doctor, "Is there a time?"
4. Describe Gary's experience with the campfire outside of Kaltag?
5. When Gary hears his diagnosis at the end of the book, what does he think about? Be specific.
6. In "Don's Cabin," how does Gary describe the bond between the musher and his/her dogs?
7. What goes wrong for Gary between the start of the race and the time he rejoins the trail?
8. In the first chapter, what amazes Gary about Marge and the grouse?
9. Gary writes in the Prologue, "Everything had been done wrong." What does he think he did wrong?
10. What have the mushers NOT been told about Happy Canyon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Gary's relationships with Cookie and Devil. How does Gary communicate with each of them, and how do Cookie and Devil communicate with Gary? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Gary interacts with a variety of people, animals, and places in this book. Discuss how Gary interacts with his wife, trail leaders and others at the pre-race meetings, mushers on the trail, and animals on the trail. Are these interactions positive or negative? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Which three parts of the race do you think Gary would say are most challenging? Why?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)